Need GA-912 information

nomadpete

Hi,

I am working on my GA-912 and need some information from the original plans. I found a little discrepency that I would like a definitive answer to. Howie was unable to help. Does anybody have a set of the plans? Were any GA's built from kits?

If you have a GA-912 would you like to be in touch with other GA-912 owners? We could perhaps make a private contact list so that we can share GA specific information.

Peter T

Hi,I am working on my GA-912 and need some information from the original plans. I found a little discrepency that I would like a definitive answer to. Howie was unable to help. Does anybody have a set of the plans? Were any GA's built from kits?

If you have a GA-912 would you like to be in touch with other GA-912 owners? We could perhaps make a private contact list so that we can share GA specific information.

Peter T

Great idea PeterT Put me into your list.

OOPS .....

P4D - I was rather hoping that someone would say "Hey, thats a great idea - I'll set one up right away!" So far it is a pretty short list.

Deskpilot - The GA-912 has same fuse and engine as GR-912, but smaller wings, and half as many lift struts.

PeterT

Well, Desky, Howie will make anybody just about any 'derivative' that you can think up. For instance, tricycle GR-912 could also be called a derivative of a GR-912. Or you could call it a Lightwing with a training wheel.

Anyway, I'm after design info on the main spar and wing tank mounting. That is specific to the GA_912 derivative.

PeterT

Unless there were 'follow on' changes between the GA-55 and the GA-912, the wing tank details should be similar.

Many of the GA-55's were kit built, usually registered 28-XXXX, so there should be some plans out there somewhere?

For those following and wanting to know the Lightwing series a little better, I had a post a few years back describing the variations;

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/thoughts-on-lightwing-mark-2-version.49/#post-368

The GA-912S should be the ultimate Lightwing, pity it was never certified and put into production......

I had been avoiding getting into the detail of my problem, but I may as well air it....

The fuel tanks are mounted in the wings. They are a glassed basin rivetted up to a alloy top skin which forms part of the torque structure of the wing. Whilst replacing the tanks I discovered that one tank had two rows of rivets along the main spar, and the other had one row of rivets along the main spar. So I called up the master and put my question to him - which arrangement was intended? After some email exchanges it was revealed (to my shock) that the original plans were stored on a hard drive which has been mislaid. So no definitive answer was available from Ballina. Yes, the GA-55 looks similar, but you can never be really sure. If I can get a copy of them it would certainly help. Maybe the GA-55 was the kit version of the factory built GA-912, or more likely I have the Rotax powered version of the GA-55?

Guest Maj Millard

Nomadpete, There is a kit-built GA-912 reg No 19-3562 currently for sale in Bowen NQ. Current owner Dave Baily did not build the aircraft but he should have the Ph no of whoever did . Aircraft was completed in 2004 down near Gunnadah I believe. Daves' Mob is 0459251625...caution he is a talker, so attemt to stay on subject.....good luck .................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Nomadpete, There is a kit-built GA-912 reg No 19-3562 currently for sale in Bowen NQ. Current owner Dave Baily did not build the aircraft but he should have the Ph no of whoever did . Aircraft was completed in 2004 down near Gunnadah I believe. Daves' Mob is 0459251625...caution he is a talker, so attemt to stay on subject.....good luck .................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Maj.

Happy New Year.

Unless there were 'follow on' changes between the GA-55 and the GA-912, the wing tank details should be similar.Many of the GA-55's were kit built, usually registered 28-XXXX, so there should be some plans out there somewhere?

For those following and wanting to know the Lightwing series a little better, I had a post a few years back describing the variations;

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/thoughts-on-lightwing-mark-2-version.49/#post-368

The GA-912S should be the ultimate Lightwing, pity it was never certified and put into production......

Prophetic words from Tony Hayes (RIP) in 2006...

Guest Maj Millard

Nomadpete, The GA wing is completely different to the GR (big) wing. There is about a 20 Sq Ft difference in area. The attachment position to the fuselage is different (main spar further back ?) Howie only built about 14 GAs or so. The one in Bowen for instance had additional tanks in the wings, with two filler caps instead of one, but it was kit-built. The GA wing is more like a Sapphire wing in section, but probabily built internally as strong as the GR wing which is strong as. The GA wing also had the flaps as standard, and this was an option on the GR....pretty much the same set up though except the 'reflex' of the flaps is not possible on the GR physically.

The GA is quicker for sure and generally your looking at 90+ kts in cruise mode with the flaps reflexed up. Come landing time however they are quite different and prefer to be 'flown on' a bit quicker. If you come in and flare above the runway to wait a touchdown like in the GR, and you speed bleeds below about 42 Kts they can just decide to just 'drop on' which can be character building first time. Several have been damaged in this way. Even with the smaller wing area the GA still climbs like a homesick angel, possible better than the GR in my experience. A damn good cross-country machine with the same cabin size as it's bigger brother........................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif