understatement of the year

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/two-dead-11-hurt-in-burma-plane-crash/story-e6frea6u-1226543395871

an Adelaide woman who survived yesterday's Burma plane crash had this to say:

"The wings were ripped off by trees before we crashed which, strangely enough, was a positive because it meant that there were no major explosions as the main fuel reserves were gone.

"We were stuck inside for a bit while the plane was burning though, at which point things were not looking great"

Sadly there were some deaths, however luckily most passengers survived

Up the back used to be considered the best. With a lot of people dying because of smoke inhalation near the best exit is where to be. getting out quickly is the go. Trouble is you don't know which exit is best till it happens Nev

This all reminds me of a crash we had in Guernsey on the 1st. November 1961.The aircraft was a Bristol Freighter owned by Silver City Airways based in the UK. The aircraft was attempting to land in very foggy conditions and crashed into a field adjoining the airfield. The field was much too short for a successful landing so the aircraft ran into a large fairly solid hedge ( they are made of earth in Guernsey).

The pilot and co-pilot were killed on impact (only the second ever fatalaties for Silver City Airways) The three cars which were inside fell out and were scattered along the field but the main passenger compartment which was from around mid way along the fuselage down to the tail section completely snapped off and was flung forward over the main fuselage which was completely stopped by the hedge. This rear end finished up in the next field still facing forward with the passengers still strapped in their seats having suffered only minor injuries owing to the fact that they were in rear facing seats. The fuselage snapped just ahead of the forwardmost passenger so they were all saved. If I hadn't seen it myself I would not have believed how it all ended.

Alan Marriette.

Geez! Alan

I remember that incident as well, you're stirring my memory now.

About four years after that event, I flew out of Gerona Airport (Costa Brava) in a British Eagle Brittania on our way back from holiday and all the seats faced backwards which at first seemed strange. We were told that all aircraft would probably be that way in future for safety reasons.

I reckon, it was so we could look back on a good holiday, after it was all over:tongue in cheek:

The rear of the plane is the best place to be ... I never heard of a plane reversing into a mountain!

Yes - you arrive at the accident site quite a few milliseconds after the fat cats in business class......but it is said to be 'safer'

happy days,

Typical female, nothing but complaints. Next thing you know there will be a 3 hour epic Hollywood blockbuster on how they lost it!

Obviously they have never heard of " any landing you walk away from is a good landing."