Flying in the far north

rhysmcc

Hi guys, I've recently picked up my RAA pilot certificate and hopefully completing my nav in a few weeks and found these forums which provide a wealth of information. I've yet to find any schools/clubs up north that does any sort of private hire after completing the training.

Is anyone aware of private hire operations up in the Cairns/Tablelands/Innisfail area?

Thanks and happy flying

Rhys

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Rhys, I'm in Townsville and I don't know of any here, however you might try Ron Watson (Watsonfly) at Innisfail, or Neil Hoffenset at Ayr, which is just South of Townsville. Both are CFIs and both train in Jabs, if that is what you are looking for................................Cheers Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Maj Millard, i did my training with Ron and he doesn't hire his plane out after training.Doesn't seem to be much in the way of hire up here in the North.

would u be interested in a single seater for a round 7500 ?

I think Carlo Prete will but his aircraft Is getting aface lift Inns fail

Thanks Doug, i spoke with Carlo a few weeks ago and he is currently rebuilding a couple of aircraft and using a jabiru for training only (owner doesn't want/isn't insured for private hire).

Wasn't really in the market for a single seat, would love to get something one day but right now it's a bit out of reach. Out of interest what did you have in mind?

Im also in Cairns, was looking for the same sort of thing, private hire of a RA aircraft.But I have to convert my GA hours into RA first.

That shouldn't be too much of an issue depending how many GA hours you've done i guess.

I highly recommend Ron Watson from WatsonFly in Innisfail, was great to learn to fly with him and his Jabiru aircraft was always a pleasure to fly.

I was quite surprised there was no private hire up here, would have thought there would be enough market/demand, maybe based out of Mareeba or Atherton, guess it's the added cost of extra insurance turns people off hiring out.

• Like 1

A beautifull looking aircraft but not sure about the exhaust pipe being that low to the ground when landing or taxying on dry grass (fire risk).Alan.

Surely you of all people, would have realised that it comes with an adaptor in inflate the tyres, and can be hired out to assist with controlled burn-offs.

Thats also cheap flying, if you already own a good pair of dark sunnies:smoking:

My sort of price tag, but sadly nowhere to park it.

I reckon Carlo would be the guy to talk to. He comes out to Winton and does bi-annuals for the R-Aus guys there. Knows aviation and good fairdinkum instructor, he would give you the heads up about who's hiring out and whats avialable I'm sure.

A beautifull looking aircraft but not sure about the exhaust pipe being that low to the ground when landing or taxying on dry grass (fire risk).Alan.

Never had a problem with grass fires and this year did 25 hours on a dead grass strip Don't think its on the ground long enoth to light up ! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Doug, Did you know the GA Lightwing parked at Bowen is on the market, 28K..needs a bit of work but not a bad deal......................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Doug, Did you know the GA Lightwing parked at Bowen is on the market, 28K..needs a bit of work but not a bad deal......................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

No but my almost airborne just got to sort out rego shame I didn't know about before the rebuild. Oh we'll !

The little Parasol the owner now willing to sell it $7500 and get a lightwing

What a lovely looking little machine Doug, . . . I realy like it. Gotta be a bargain for someone at that sort of money too, rather regrettably my portly frame would be a slight problem, and I'd only be able to achieve a FAST TAXY. . . . . . . ( That's assuming I could get my derriere to fit INSIDE the cockpit. . . . . . ) You guys really DO have an impressive range of aiarcraft, a lot more than I first thought, and a lot more than in the UK by far. Have a look at the sort of thing WE fly, in the POST PICTURES section. . . . . nowhere near as sexy looking, and precious few tailwheel types either.

JUST ONE QUESTION THOUGH. . . is that a CATalytic converter unter the left tailplane, or just . . . a CAT, . . . . and is it included in the deal ??

SENSIBLE QUESTION NOW. . . . . being the radio op and instruc tor at our Club, I'm interested to know what procedure a pilot would use to call a ground station from that aircraft. Would you Say something like. . . " Moorabbin, Ultralight 4188 -inbound from the East at the five mile drain, request runway information . . . " Or just "4188 . . etc...etc..." In other words, do you just use similar procedure as do GA appliances, but using the numbers instead of the last three characters of the VH reg. . . ? ( Forgive me if I've got this wrong, it's been a very long time since I landed at Moorabbin. . . and the 5 mile drain may no longer be a reporting point !!)

What a lovely looking little machine Doug, . . . I realy like it. Gotta be a bargain for someone at that sort of money too, rather regrettably my portly frame would be a slight problem, and I'd only be able to achieve a FAST TAXY. . . . . . . ( That's assuming I could get my derriere to fit INSIDE the cockpit. . . . . . ) You guys really DO have an impressive range of aiarcraft, a lot more than I first thought, and a lot more than in the UK by far. Have a look at the sort of thing WE fly, in the POST PICTURES section. . . . . nowhere near as sexy looking, and precious few tailwheel types either.JUST ONE QUESTION THOUGH. . . is that a CATalytic converter unter the left tailplane, or just . . . a CAT, . . . . and is it included in the deal ??

She actually a shiatsu and the wife would kill me if I was to sell my little flying partner ! taz.gif.c750d78125a77f219b0619b1f23e3e90.gif

image.jpg.312c34b4a0959c724916a660e3cf988b.jpg

• Like 1

I say all station moorrabbin this is parasol 4188 5 mile south inbound @ 1500 Eta 5 min !080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif Petty much same as ga but aircraft type & numbers ,056_headset.gif.8e2503279a37389023f4d903d46b667a.gif

convention was....."all stations"; as far as I'm aware changes were recommended to........."traffic"(location),etc,etc:high 5: