Ayers Rock

metalman

Hi all, I've been thinking about doing a trip to Ayers rock later this year I'm just after advice ,or tips about which is the best way to go ( from Melbourne ) ,which communities are better for unleaded fuel , I'm looking at early September which will be a bit hot and bumpy but it'll be the earliest I'm able to get away,

cheers Met

Ive just added an ozrunways screen shot, a couple of places might need to find a servo to refuel

image.jpg.f9311a5eb78777cc84acc13d786f7779.jpg

Matt, you are doing very short legs... what is your range excluding reserves?

I came back from Alice via Oodnadatta, William Creek, Maree, Broken Hill, Mildura, Locksley and got avgas at each of them. Beware the Aboriginal communities - you need permission for most of them and may not get fuel. Maree was the dearest and it was in drums.

I went in August and it was really good. September should be ok, especially in the mornings.

kaz

My jigger has 3.5 hours at 80 knots ,the planning a in early stages but it seems I have the endurance to do short legs but not quite make the next spot, I'll have to get a better idea once I've put some hours on it ( very soon) and get some idea of fuel burn, I've talked to a few guys lately and they reckon there's a lot of servos on the sturt hwy with air strips at the back,

met

The noise stops in mine after 3.3 at 100 kn.

I didn't do the Sturt south of Alice so don't know. There are a couple up closer to Tennant Creek but the road trains often park on them and cut them up.

You will love the trip...it's fantastic country and has been in really good heart the last several years. I want to go back and head across to the Gascoyne via Meeka when I get the chance but have to buy a little buddy auxiliary tank to fill the big gaps.

kaz

the only "airspace" that they "claim", is over/about that rock. Geting permission to land on their strips is straight forward. ( was for me ) organising fuel is tricky but doable. The most helpfull by far are our "graziers"........yet to get a knockback from any of them, quite the contrary..........fuel/food/bed every time............brilliant folks.

• Like 1

this might be a dumb question, but does Aboriginal land include the airspace? Or are you saying just don't get caught out having to land in them without permission?

The air is free but the ground can be expensive. You need a permit for most Aboriginal lands so PPR same as any other properties and they can take some time to arrange. English is still not a first language for many in remote areas.

Fuel can be very dear because most of it is in drums and has to be carted a very long way. Avgas is particularlex costly but so can be mogas. Some mogas may be treated so it doesn't work for those that inhale (sniff petrol) and I don't know how this affects combustion processes in your aeroplane.

kaz

before i log off............the fuel you are referring to is "Opal"..........no probs.

"permits"...as you are just....... "transiting through", a simple ph call has always been the trick.

"language"......those that "manage" are as fluent as you and me in english .

do yourself a favour.....call the big fuel distributor at Alice, ( speak to a bulk driver, or his supervisor ) explain your intent, they will know exactly what roadhouses, stations, you need to call, and then make your "plans"

I've done a lot of what you are planning to do, all about the territory,.........loved it.

• Like 1

Mat, the guy who took me for a fly in his Jabiru 230 today has flown it most places - I will put you in touch. Incidentally, airframe and engine mods now so apparently goes a lot better than std.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'm looking so far at heading across to Port Augusta and then following the Stuart hwy from there, possibly go back via QLD and down the coast.

I think Tomorrow got a kero burner to Alice and then did a joyflights around the rock, could be wrong though.

ive been a bit conservative with the endurance so I could stretch it out once I've put some hours on the plane and got a better idea of what I'll get out of her. I also may have the option of another 30 l in an auxiliary fuel tank which will be handy.

I've looked at going across the Simpson desert but I'm not real keen on that, I've flown around QLD a bit, once your past the range the roads are straighter than I can fly, the Stuart hwy seems pretty good for IFR , I reckon following it would be the way , just have to get the fuel thing sorted, I've got one stop at Prominent hill and then Marla, I haven't got to phoning for fuel yet but I think they look big enough to have a servo at least

Met

Gidday Metalman,

We have done the South Aus trip the previous 3 years in our J230 and loved it ( 2009,2010,2011, damn I missed last year) with a different route each time.

One that may suit you is once you hit Broken Hill, actually before then you must drop into Lake Mungo for breakfast or lunch, great spot and people. You can do that from Swan Hill then Broken hill after your stop.

Next leg was across Lake Frome ( great sites) to Arkaroola and stay the night , fuel is available, then onto Marree.

From Marree you can go to William Creek or Coober Pedy which is a great place to overnight in an underground motel, then up to Oodnadata and beyond.

These should be easy legs. Not sure on the unleaded as we use Avgas in the 230 but they wouldn't be hard to check.

Pm Me if you want to have a chat anytime

Terry

• Like 1

Here's a tidier plan , looking at going in July now, a bit cooler and maybe less turbulence , also putting the word out if anyone wants to join us, a few pilots from my field are thinking of doing the trip aswell

Met

image.jpg.e2eba1677cb3a3ef4a5d37df069059d5.jpg

image.jpg.74d14e0a5a37ad70061c8d9ac0fee665.jpg

Hi MM, I fly a Gazelle out of Penfield near Sunbury and in June last year, 3 othe pilots and myself flew to William Creek and lake Eyre via Swan Hill, Port August(O/N) then to Maree and WC(O/N). Did some low flights over the Lake and east to Arkaroola (O/N) then home over Lake Frome via Broken Hill, Swan Hill and to Penfield. The country north of PT Agusta is brilliant as is the Flinders Ranges and highly recommended. AvGas at Agusta via BP Swipe card. At Marree a local chap comes out and serves up Avgas from a stationary tanker. At WC Avgas available at strip and cash/card from Wight AirServices. At Arkaroola Mogas available from Arkaroola station.

I maybe interested in you mid year trip also. My Penfield buddies are considering anothe trip up to Birdsville way and back but would like to include yours too on this years plans so keep me in your planning loop. My email is [email protected]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Metalman

Cadney Homestead (YCDH) have avgas, ULP and donga accommodation. 50 metre walk. 1200m gravel strip - a bit stoney.

Also Kulgera roadhouse have ULP, good strip, 200m walk.

Rather than spending $$$ at the Ayres Rock resort, consider Curtin Springs Roadhouse... 40nm east of the Rock. No Next G, so book ahead and overfly the roadhouse (beware the tower!!) and they will collect you from the strip, 2.2km away. They have good food, accommodation, camping, ULP. Walk back to the strip pre dawn, for a sunrise take off and fly the scenic pattern around the Rock and the Olgas.

Ayres Rock airport has a CA/GRS service, so study up and phone them beforehand, as per ERSA. They are most helpful.

Thanks mate , I'm still looking at different places, and not totally set on the time yet , just got caught in the QLD floods and had to have a week of unplanned holidays , so I have see if I have the time banked to go , might push it back to September , might be a bit warmer to