Noticed something today

We concentrated solely on EFATO and circuit emergencies today. Something happened which really gave me a boost and encouraged me - while I had my hands full remembering the checks and various things to do during the emergency, it suddenly dawned on me that I was actually landing with out any concerted mental effort - in other words, it is finally starting to become part of my muscle memory!

I honestly never thought it would happen, but it finally *clicked* today - my instructor even asked me "what changed" and I don't really know what to say other than it just was there. No more than I really thought about parking my car - it just happened.

Not to say they were perfect, but I am getting to a spot where I can now devote some mental energy into the finer points and other tasks rather than being 100% consumed with the mechanics of the landing.

It is a good day - I am drinking the last of my home brew lager and reflecting on the journey.

cheers! 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Like 11

soon you'll be able to order a pizza on finals by SMS whilst engaged in a meaningful conversation with you'r PAX about the toppings like the rest of us.augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

good on ya Ayavner now go get another larger brewing.026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Like 1

We concentrated solely on EFATO and circuit emergencies today. Something happened which really gave me a boost and encouraged me - while I had my hands full remembering the checks and various things to do during the emergency, it suddenly dawned on me that I was actually landing with out any concerted mental effort - in other words, it is finally starting to become part of my muscle memory!I honestly never thought it would happen, but it finally *clicked* today - my instructor even asked me "what changed" and I don't really know what to say other than it just was there. No more than I really thought about parking my car - it just happened.

Not to say they were perfect, but I am getting to a spot where I can now devote some mental energy into the finer points and other tasks rather than being 100% consumed with the mechanics of the landing.

It is a good day - I am drinking the last of my home brew lager and reflecting on the journey.

cheers! 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Hi Ayavner, it is good as well to pull the power back at say 3 0r 4 thousand feet, set up best glide & see how you can glide as well. (If air cooled, warm up the engine occasionally).Try into the wind & also with the wind etc.It will give you a little bit of a picture how far your can go.It can be a surprise.

• Like 1

Thanks Dazza, we did that during practice forced landings a few months back, and you are right - I think that was another breakthru on that day when I realised I was not going to plummet from the sky just because the engine quit.

One thing I would really like to do, might bring this up to my instructor, is practice side slips and crossed controls at altitude so I can get more comfortable with them without the added workload of landing and circuit procedures.

Now - any tips for planting it on the centreline? I seem to line up really well, however when I touch down always seem to be at the left of the line no matter how much I think i am on the line - some trick of parallax or something?

Well done Ayavner, good observation.

It happens like that; I remember struggling on various exercises and then suddenly it 'clicked' in. It is almost like your brain, logical thinking and subconscious reaction all suddenly synchronise and you wonder what all the difficulty was. I think it is quite normal to go through this experience on a number of difficult issues and these are often different for each individual. I think the 'clicking' ultimately comes as a result of stubborn dogged practice and often a little helpful hint from a good observing instructor. We all learn things subtly differently ... make us unique.

• Like 1

Try placing "yourself" as opposed to the nose of the aircraft on/near the line.

Hi Frank, how do you mean? As in, from short final height, or just before flare? Will the nose appear way to the right then? Walk me through your thought process here if you don't mind so I can understand what you mean? Thanks!

Just a mental type tip. Do not overanalyse or it looses the purpose.

My tip is try and if it works for you OK otherwise forget it. Try from short final. Once you start landing on the centre it becomes automatic. For some pilots it helps get the correct mental picture earlier - not for everyone - it is only a perceptual thing.

• Like 1

Fair enough - me overanalysing things is probably 90% of why they take so long to click. I'll keep this in mind for next time and give it a go.

If I had to guess i'd say maybe I am still a little shy of the controls at low speed so I tend to get myself in a spot and stay there. I'll work on this as well. Thanks!