Special VFR

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone can explain or point me in the right direction to info on Special VFR, basically what is it?

**please, no beard-tearing over the 10,000 reasons not to do whatever it is I have asked about. It is just a question. Thanks.**

Special VFRR is only availab le in some types of controlled airspace. It basically reduces the minimum vis and cloud clearances required to be VFR. You would ask for it when approaching or departing the airfield in marginal conditions but would be non VFR if you continued. Sometimes the tower will issue 'special VFR" to all aircraft in the area so as to save time and calls giving it to individual acft.

Cheers

• Like 1

Sometimes the tower will issue 'special VFR" to all aircraft in the area so as to save time and calls giving it to individual acft.Cheers

I understood it's something the pilot has to request, not something the tower will initiate. Although I guess you are referring to a general response to a request from one pilot?

rgmwa

Yep...its a good one...I always just take a flick through before I fly to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. I fly out of Gold Coast and have requested special VFR a couple of times....and have always had it approved except one time where I was just about to leave the CTA and forgot to think about special VFR not being available in G......so went another way.

I understood it's something the pilot has to request, not something the tower will initiate. Although I guess you are referring to a general response to a request from one pilot?rgmwa

Yes but if conditions are special Vfr only, then they will say that and it is also included in the atis. Well it used to be in GAAP I dont know about class d nowadays. Any clearance request would then obviously be granted on SVFR only And not given individually. :)

• Like 1

We never ever suggest or broadcast on the ATIS / CATIS that SVFR is necessary / required by VFR pilots. A pilot has to request it, if a VFR pilot requests a clearance in conditions that are non VMC, ATC should say clearance is not available due to conditions or something similar to prevent a VFR pilot getting airborne in conditions which are not VMC. We only do this for aircraft entering into or exiting controlled airspace. Pilots should note that ATC has additional separation issues with SVFR and delays may occur due to this. Once you have this clearance you are being separated from other traffic but you still have to maintain terrain clearance yourself and remain in the reduced visual conditions. Be careful, I have had six or so pilots get into trouble by pushing the conditions and having very little room to manoeuvre.

• Like 3

1.2 Special VFR

1. 1.2.1 By day, when VMC do not exist, the ATC unit responsible for a CTR may issue, at pilot request, a Special VFR clearance for flight in the CTR, or in a CTA next to the CTR for the purpose of entering or leaving the CTR, provided the Special VFR flight will not unduly delay an IFR flight.

2. 1.2.2 When operating under a Special VFR clearance, pilots are respon- sible for ensuring that:

3. the flight is conducted clear of cloud;

4. the visibility is not less than:

(1) for aeroplanes, 1,600M;

(2) for helicopters, 800M; or

(3) for balloons, 100M below 500FT AGL and 3,000M at and

above 500FT AGL;

5. ahelicopterisoperatedatsuchaspeedthatthepilothasad-

equate opportunity to observe any obstructions or other traffic in sufficient time to avoid a collision; and

6. d. theflightisconductedinaccordancewiththerequirementsof CAR 157 with regard to low flying.

• Like 4

GAHH, i always forget the VFR guide, probably the handiest document out of the bunch, other than ERSA... I really need to learn to start checking the VFRG first. Thanks David!

If you download it to an iPad if you have one you can save it in iBooks and bookmark specific pages for quick reference.I use it for teaching all the time. Technology can be of benefit even for us oldies when you learn how!

• Like 3

Guest Howard Hughes

Be very weary about using special VFR, 1600M vis is virtually zero! Many instrument approaches require vis of 2000m+.

To use special VFR, I would want to be very sure that the weather improved as I got closer to my destination (if I was departing a zone), or I had a lot of local knowledge to navigate inbound. Probably where it is most useful is to pass through a heavy rain shower, or depart a zone on a misty (not foggy) morning.

SVFR is also used in some airspace which would otherwise be prohibited to VFR flights.

An example is the Class A airspace which surrounds the Channel Islands which although British, are only 12 miles off the French coast.

The only way for VFR flights to enter or leave the zone is under an SVFR clearance. (http://www.cicz.co.uk/special_vfr.php)

I seem to remember that there are also certain notified recommended routes, often sea crossings, which require SVFR and which get a higher level of service from ATC.

Not sure if you have either of those situations in Oz.

I would swear blue I used to hear it on the Atis at camden when it was GAAP...I can remember busting back in from the training area at dot feet trying to stay clear of the soup after a busta came up out of nowhere and the tower saying it was ONLY SVFR. I was an raa only at the time and didn't have clue what he was talking about...

I used to get into Mascot that way all the time. The approach was virtually Victor 1.. You need to be very familiar with these sort of arrangments as you have reduced operational criteria. It's far quicker than an instrument approach although a radar vector to final Bankstown takes some beating. If you stuff it up, you will cop it ( and deserve to). Nev

Patrick, I an sure the ATC guys know the voices of the ones they can trust. I could always pick their voices , although I never knew their names. You would only have to be let down a couple of times and you would become wary. You can affect too much other traffic and obviously the conditions are a little marginal by defintiion. Nev