New to the site....

gimballock

Hi all,I've only just joined the site, but I've been with AUF/RAA for over 10 years, and GFA for about 12 years before that.

I fly Jabirus & Drifters in SE QLD.

Take care and fly safe,

Gimballock.

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif GB!

Hi GooneyBird,

The name "Gimbal Lock" refers to an unfortunate situation that could occur in spaceflight where the "8 ball" (like in my avatar) spins too close to the outer stops.

If you actually hit the stops, your 8 ball will become stuck/locked, rendering the highly important instrument utterly useless and cannot be reset/re-calibrated except by engineers on the ground. A bit of a pity if you happen to be in space!

This nearly happened a few times during the Apollo 13 mission as Jim Lovell struggled to keep control of the two spacecraft joined together.

As for flying Drifters, I believe that at Clifton today, you could possibly get away with a few low-level circuits... but that's about it!

But, I'm ringed in with water today, so I ain't goin' nowhere!

Gimballock.

• Like 1

Hi Alan,I fly from Clifton.

I've also flown from Boonah.

My background is originally Sydney, so I was at The Oaks, Camden & Hoxton Park.

Where are you?

Gimballock.

Hi again,

Bange's I guess? I've been to a few of the legendary fly-ins there over the years.

I'm on the southern end of the Gold Coast and usually fly out of Heck Field at Jacobs Well. Sold my last plane a couple of years back and have been building the next one for the last 18 mths, should be flying mid this year.

Cheers, Alan

Yup! You got it.

I almost flew at Heck Field when I first came to QLD, but just as I was about to book a flight with Nick Sigley, somebody rendered his aircraft U/S (to say the least!) and so he recommended I fly with Greg Neale at Boonah. I did so for a while and recently I've been flying with Trevor and his guys.

Both Greg and Trevor are top-notch pilots and I've learned much from both of them!

• Like 1

Hi all,I've only just joined the site, but I've been with AUF/RAA for over 10 years, and GFA for about 12 years before that.

I fly Jabirus & Drifters in SE QLD.

Take care and fly safe,

Gimballock.

Good to see another real pilot on the forum. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Kiwi.

Yup! You got it.I almost flew at Heck Field when I first came to QLD, but just as I was about to book a flight with Nick Sigley, somebody rendered his aircraft U/S (to say the least!) and so he recommended I fly with Greg Neale at Boonah. I did so for a while and recently I've been flying with Trevor and his guys.

Both Greg and Trevor are top-notch pilots and I've learned much from both of them!

Greg doesnt have the school at Boonah anymore. Ian Mcgregor is the CFI & owner of airsport now.

Kiwi: I should probably qualify that - I am actually, at present, getting a type-conversion to Drifer.

Dazza: Yes, I know. I've flown with Ian and (of course) Dave, and also Pete (now at Gympie, I believe) as well.

All good blokes that I've had hours of flying fun with!

• Like 1