Jabiru engine life times

How many hours did your Jabiru 2200 or 3300 engine do before suffering a breakdown  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours did your Jabiru 2200 or 3300 engine do before suffering a breakdown

yea, right. My old memory not too shabby then. :) Seen the name in many many gazelle log books.

Gazzle's not a bad bird, but that wing!!! (!!!!)! Pity the price went up when the wing section entered the 20th century... Hey, we're meant to be talking about Jabs; how do you reckon a Jab 2200 would compare with an Aeropower?

Nice to see qualified responses from members with 'real' background. Are you still in the game?

Geez Andy sounds like he has you wound up, careful you don't break a thru bolt with that high temp

Sorry Andy,

I was off on another tangent, thought you were on about something else.

Nice to see qualified responses from members with 'real' background. Are you still in the game?

Ahem. Due to CASA's changing position on Authorised Persons, I'm not playing in GA at present. Due to personal economics, I've been hiding under a rock for a while; but I am the principal of the Thruster Operator's Support Group, and have been doing some work on LSA Certification issues here and there...

• Like 2

yea Bob. The gazelle was/ is a true lady. Lost a good mate in one a few years ago due to wing departure,:( By all accounts the aeropower is a good performer. Although the numbers arent there yet. Not here anyway. Ill be testing a homebuilt with one it it soon so Ill have a better idea. Look good on paper though.

but I am the principal of the Thruster Operator's Support Group, and have been doing some work on LSA Certification issues here and there...

Fair dinkum? Good stuff mate. great to have you on the forum mate. We all miss Tony.. he was a legend around these parts..

• Agree 1

Geez Andy sounds like he has you wound up, careful you don't break a thru bolt with that high tempSorry Andy,

I was off on another tangent, thought you were on about something else.

haha..No mate. Its all good. :) My heads are well baffled, nice and cool..

Fair dinkum? Good stuff mate. great to have you on the forum mate. We all miss Tony.. he was a legend around these parts..

Yes, Tony was a loss. He trained me to Pilot Certificate stage, and gave one of my L2 recommendations when we upgraded the front spar / boom bracket on -381 (his training aircraft).

yea Bob. The gazelle was/ is a true lady. Lost a good mate in one a few years ago due to wing departure,:( By all accounts the aeropower is a good performer. Although the numbers arent there yet. Not here anyway. Ill be testing a homebuilt with one it it soon so Ill have a better idea. Look good on paper though.

I inspected the wreckage of the 'fox that shed a wing up North, not very nice. The atmosphere is very powerful.

As the ballast for the MTOW climb tests of the original Calair skyfox, I don't remember the Aeropower as exactly a stellar performer, but it was both adequate and reliable. Like the Jab, a smaller prop than the 912... I'm not sure how many 'foxes retain them.

hmm..Sounds like the same prang... Such a loss too..

Yes, several times over - extremely unusual atmospheric conditions, truly tragic circumstances.

This is perhaps not the appropriate time to get on my engineering horse, but that crash was partly caused by the combined effect of two regulations, and SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE if the CAR 35 engineers consulted on CAO 101:55 had been listened to. Bah, Humbug.

maybe not the same prang. My mate came unstuck during a lollydrop. That not the one?

This bloke did a lollydrop at the local school or fairground, then picked up a near relative for a private flight, then appears to have hit a horizontal shed vortex off the range. I am reluctant to go into more details here, but the personal tragedies were compound.

• Informative 1

Ive installed gull wing deflectors under cylinders, wasnt easy but achievable. Didnt do anything dramatic but did assist even cht out along with Jabiru usa tech doc on cooling ducts, temps between 90 to 120 most of the time, not a big difference in cht no matter what the duty or outside temps actually now

Its a solid lifter with fine heads, cht probes down in hole.

• Like 1

Ive installed gull wing deflectors under cylinders, wasnt easy but achievable. Didnt do anything dramatic but did assist even cht out along with Jabiru usa tech doc on cooling ducts, temps between 90 to 120 most of the time, not a big difference in cht no matter what the duty or outside temps actually nowIts a solid lifter with fine heads, cht probes down in hole.

Have a look at an Auster installation, or the Royal Aeronautical Establishment tests of 1920; or better, the NACA Report on baffles for a Continental C-85. The Jab baffles are pretty lame, sorry guys...

• Agree 1

Ive installed gull wing deflectors under cylinders, wasnt easy but achievable. Didnt do anything dramatic but did assist even cht out along with Jabiru usa tech doc on cooling ducts, temps between 90 to 120 most of the time, not a big difference in cht no matter what the duty or outside temps actually nowIts a solid lifter with fine heads, cht probes down in hole.

NACA technical Note No. 816, "Cooling and Performance Tests of a Continental A-75 Engine"; it's on the Cambridge mirror, Google will turn it up...