Jabiru engine life times

How many hours did your Jabiru 2200 or 3300 engine do before suffering a breakdown  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours did your Jabiru 2200 or 3300 engine do before suffering a breakdown

Ok, before you start ranting "jab bash" at me, I want to use the sheer numbers of members operating/ed, Jabiru engines to try and ascertain some genuine data regarding Jabiru engine life times. I want to know how many hours your engine got before it had to be opened up. Im not looking for minor issues, but major show stopping issues discovered either the easy way (on the ground) or the hard way..;)

Please dont get cranky and call me a jab basher. Im only trying to get some genuine numbers from people who operate them. I am NOT a jab basher. I love the aircraft. Im concerned (as many are) about the quality of the engines.

If your engine survied for more than 500 hours, please giev some details.

* Oil type used

* Maint schedule (factory or otherwise)

*Fuel type used

*Operational details, ie school private

Cheers

• Like 1

Iv'e just voted.

My 2200 engine was running well until I couldn't get avgas and used Caltex supposedly top grade fuel. I got detonation in No 4 cylinder. It ran roughly at idle, but smoothly at full power. When pulled down had the land between 1 and 2 ring demolished for about 60 deg of circumference and broken rings. It is now running well and I have a supply of avgas. What comes out of the servos is of doubtful quality.

• Agree 1

3 j170s doing 500hrs/year in flying school oil changed every 25 hrs run only on avgas inlet and exhaust checked at every leak down done every 100hrs any minor leak detected by listnening even with leak downs of 75/80 head removed valve lapped (1 hrs work) engines removed at 1000 hrs with compresions above 70/80 no valve failures in 3000 hrs

Mick

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I'm looking forward to seeing how things pan out when there are a lot more replies.

It looks like ruffasguts is getting quite good service out of them, but surely it shouldn't be necessary to pull the heads off every 100hrs to keep the things purring. I thought it was mainly hellies that had high maintenance?

Good on him if he's got those hours out of them, but surely if the manufacturer claims 1000hrs between overhauls, one should not be expected to give a head-*** every 100hrs.

Yenns reply was interesting, in that he appears to have had few problems until he was unable to get avgas, maybe they run cooler in the head area with that fuel, and that gives the valves and rings an easier life.?

I sometimes wonder whether an additive like Redex upper cylinder lubricant in the fuel would be an advantage, and keep things a bit better lubricated, reducing friction heat?

How many hours did your Jabiru 2200 or 3300 engine do before suffering a breakdown

1. 0-100

2. 100-300

3. 300-500

4. 500-800

5. 800-1000

6. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif never had a breakdown 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

1170hr and still running strong

Daniel

3300, ~800+ hrs, one cyl rings done @ 100 hrs, few carb problems getting egt sorted.

Solid lifter, w100 oil until 15w 50 was around, all avgas, private long distance touring, ran a bit hot

Replaced engine at this time with rebuilt soild lifter by Jabiru, good value to get all new heads and cylinders. Leak downs ok but near limits

New one running sweeter than first

Jabiru have been good to me so far

There

I'm looking forward to seeing how things pan out when there are a lot more replies.It looks like ruffasguts is getting quite good service out of them, but surely it shouldn't be necessary to pull the heads off every 100hrs to keep the things purring. I thought it was mainly hellies that had high maintenance?

Good on him if he's got those hours out of them, but surely if the manufacturer claims 1000hrs between overhauls, one should not be expected to give a head-*** every 100hrs.

Yenns reply was interesting, in that he appears to have had few problems until he was unable to get avgas, maybe they run cooler in the head area with that fuel, and that gives the valves and rings an easier life.?

I sometimes wonder whether an additive like Redex upper cylinder lubricant in the fuel would be an advantage, and keep things a bit better lubricated, reducing friction heat?

There is a excellent Jab man who promotes upper cyl lube in low rates. flashlube i think

Guest Error404

Plane driver, yep, you can use an upper cylinder lubricant, forget what it's called from Autobarn or similar. Keeps the cylinder head temps a little lower.

Excuse my ignorance, what is valve lapping?

Put some abrasive paste between the valve and the seat, then rotate against each other until they seal properly. Use some blue dye stuff between them to check that they are seating correctly. ( I'm not a mechanic )

Regards Bill

I'm looking forward to seeing how things pan out when there are a lot more replies.It looks like ruffasguts is getting quite good service out of them, but surely it shouldn't be necessary to pull the heads off every 100hrs to keep the things purring. I thought it was mainly hellies that had high maintenance?

heads not removed every 100hrs only when needed possibly a single head every 200-300 hrs

Mick

• Informative 1

Iv'e just voted.My 2200 engine was running well until I couldn't get avgas and used Caltex supposedly top grade fuel. I got detonation in No 4 cylinder. It ran roughly at idle, but smoothly at full power. When pulled down had the land between 1 and 2 ring demolished for about 60 deg of circumference and broken rings. It is now running well and I have a supply of avgas. What comes out of the servos is of doubtful quality.

Are you talking about using unleaded motor vehicle fuel? It provides insufficient top end lub. The lead in aviation fuel is the best known lubricant followed by stuff like flash lube which is a replacement lubicant. The top grade fuel you mention is only an increase in octane rating which is useless if not required. Referring to the survey, wonder if any engines failed at zero hours.

Put some abrasive paste between the valve and the seat, then rotate against each other until they seal properly. Use some blue dye stuff between them to check that they are seating correctly. ( I'm not a mechanic )Regards Bill

I would further check the valves and castings of the cyl head by blocking off the open end with a piece of flat metal and rubber seal. Fit an air hose connection through the metal, turn on that air pressure full blast and listen for leaking air anywhere. Faint leaking out the intake and exhaust ports is ok, but elsewhere is cracked casting.