Peter Bowyer

Guest Peter Bowyer

Guest Peter Bowyer

Hi again,

About 70hrs. Up to 25 hours you are restricted or supervised by an instructor or safety officer then by 70 you are pretty competent in most conditions. The more you fly and keep current and confident the safer you are, like most forms of aviation I guess. The main difference with Paragliding is that you can still practice your practical skills with your feet still on the ground when doing what we call ground handling. The more you do the better you become and the safer you are. Simple as that really. Bloody computers I've been working on mine just about all day and I'm a flying instructor, whats happening? At least its raining outside:-)

Cheers, Pete

PCs where much worse back in the 80s, you had to load software via a cassette player (yes a phillip tape cassette)

So how difficult is it too land? I always imagined that running in that harness with a wing trying to lift you off the ground when you are trying to not fly would be tricky, especially through long grass

Guest Peter Bowyer

Paragliders almost land themselves. With a good landing approach, just before your feet touch the ground you pull both hand toggles down as far as you can (a flare) and it lands with almost no or very little ground speed. We generally never take off in long grass but if we did its not a problem. It covers over the rocks:-)

We sometimes take off in snow and with rocks around as well. With good technique and a good run (in light wind) its a peace of cake. You need to be confident and commit to your launch though. We concentrate on teaching good take off technique in our school and you get to practice over and over on a small training hill to build your confidence and skill. Maybe I'll see you one day!014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Pete

Put it this way Peter, we all have real lives. But do you want to possibly open the door to crooks every time you register on a site on the internet? You're good at your job and the internet crooks are good at theirs too. As a Facebook user, do you worry about who Facebook sells your personal and business data too?

Stop it Tornado... off topic and not relevant. Give the man some time to enjoy the site before you start this BS.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Nice website and good work with "selling" the idea. If I wasn't so scared of heights I would give it a go!

Actually I probably will anyway one day, just need to find the time. Welcome to the forum to Pete, I have seen a few members who paraglide on here. Good to have someone knowledgeable to be able to answer the questions.

Shane

PS Fly-Tornado is a real character and sometimes does some great posts. But he also needles people mercilessly so just don't rise to the bait. Or you can dog him yourself until he cracks, doesn't work very well but he takes it in good spirits 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• Agree 1

I have a question Peter...

Reflex Wings... are they the way to go for beginners these days?

I have read a bit on them... besides higher speeds is it true that they are less susceptible to collapses?

I have been for one tandem Paraglider flight with Jean-Luc at Rainbow Beach and loved it... this was a few years ago now and after returning home from that holiday a local Ra-Aus school opened it's doors so I got my fixed wing certificate with them... As I have stated before elsewhere on the site... I wish I had just continued on with Paragliding as for less than the cost of my FW training I would have been able to have paid for a new paraglider wing AND the training... and could have enjoyed some great holidays in some of the picturesque areas you guys tend to operate from... and Eungala is just down the road... apparently a great site for the more experienced pilot.

I was raised in a Gliding Club and my experience over the years leads me to believe that the challenge of soaring flight is the ultimate... You and mother nature locked in soft battle... always striving to go one better...

Regards

Guest Peter Bowyer

Thanks for the welcome guys!

No real weight limit for paragliders. I've had students that weight up to 140kg but they are generally always fit even if they are largish. If you were bigger they have small and large tandems that you can fly solo if you really had to that take up to 230kg. Most students have no problems and weight between 70-95kg. Normal people:-) if there is such a thing as a normal person.

I also have a FAQ on my website at www.paraglide.com.au but am always happy to answer other or any questions. There is no such thing as a stupid question I was told at school. "I personally reckon thats bullshit":-) I've been asked some rippers!

Hope you guys are getting all this rain. We're on tanks and its nice to be topped up. Saw some video footage of the Highlander from Just Planes in Ohio today, very impressive aircraft. Incredible STOL capabilities. I love the wing design on their SuperSTOL.

Regards, Pete

Guest Peter Bowyer
Thanks for the reply... I was curious as to the reasons.

The main reason is that a traditional design is generally slower,easier to launch and land and there is no real advantage that I am aware of with the reflex design. I've flown them powered and unpowered and much prefer the normal modern traditional paraglider design. It's as simple as that really. If I could see or experience an advantage I'd probably be more interested but so far I'm not and haven't been.

Regards, Pete

welcome Peter! Is paragliding where you jump off a high place such as a mountain and glide your way to the bottom under a steerable parachute? If so, I remember once when i was in Bozeman, MT USA I was hiking up one of the local mountains with some mates and there were a couple of guys doing that, and I remember thinking how much fun that looks and how serene it seems just floating your way down. That was before I started flying lessons, but the memory stuck with me... have to try it some day.cheers!

(Adam)

Yes Adam, that is right, paragliding is great! With paragliding you RUN (no jumping) off something like a mountain and glide down to the bottom. I recently ran off Mount Broughton (about 1500') near Yea, glided up to 8500' several times and 5 and a bit hours later landed at the bottom of Mount Buffalo near Bright! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Cheers, Laurie

• Like 1

Welcome Peter! A question about the terminology is a 'paramotor' the same as a powered parachute (PPC)? Or does legs vs wheels make a difference to the name?

And lastly what restrictions do you operate under in regard to height, I notice your website says "if you want to fly more than 300 feet above the ground..."? Thanks GG.

Its useful for staying sane (mental health), checking out fishing spots, incredible for aerial photography, banner towing with a paramotor, photography for real estate agents (income producing)!!!!!

'Income producing' Where does that fit into the bigger scheme of things with CASA?

Guest Peter Bowyer

I'll try to answer all questions with the one reply here goes:

A Paramotor outfit is using a Paraglider wing and therefore it has better glide and sink rate.

A Powerchute has a higher sinkrate and less glide ratio and climb. I personally don't like Powerchutes and have had little to do with them.

There are different endorsements for foot launch or trike or buggy with Paramotoring. This is still currently being discussed with CASA and our HGFA to have the ratings approved.

When it comes to airspace we need to respect airspace just like all other aircraft. We also generally fly with both VHF and UHF radio these days.

Income producing you obviously may need additional ratings. It all depends on what type of work you're doing. You'd have to look into it. Any Instructional work you need Instructor ratings and for display flying you need a commercial display endorsement and most likely additional insurance cover. Again there are many variables here.

Regards, Pete