Dacron skins UV protection?

I've been told clear urethane UV blocker increases the useful life of dacron skins ... what do you think, is this the norm and what products are recommended?

I look forward to hearing from those with first hand experience.

Guest Crezzi

A couple of products I've heard of people using are Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof and 303 Aerospace UV Protectant.

Personally I would want to see some pretty compelling test results (rather than anecdotal stories) before I put anything on my wing but, apparently, P&M (UK trike manufacturer) recommend Nikwax

Cheers

John

303 works well but I've always reckoned Armorall is better, and if you buy it in bulk it's a fair bit less costly. I used to do my sailing boat sails with it too since it's the same kind of fabric so I bought Armorall in 25 litre drums, that way it worked out about $2.50 a litre so I didn't worry about how much I used and I used a spray gun to apply it evenly every two months. It kept the sails on the plane and boat like new.

• Agree 2

I agree with hitc, but I don't apply it every 2 months! The cost would bankrupt me as I have not been able to purchase it in bulk.

Would be interested to find out where it is available in bulk though.

Pud

I agree with hitc, but I don't apply it every 2 months! The cost would bankrupt me as I have not been able to purchase it in bulk.Would be interested to find out where it is available in bulk though.

Pud

I knew people who had a car detailing business and they used to buy it in drums, I think they were 60 litres, and they used to sell it to me in my own drums which were old CT18 truck wash drums, 20 litres or 25 litres. It was cheap to buy that way. So you could try one of your local car detailers and/or second hand car yards?

But even if you buy it in 1 litre containers and use 3-4 litres every two months, mainly on top surfaces, you'll get ten years out of a set of Gemini sails even if left outside, that's still way cheaper than buying new sails all the time.

I knew people who had a car detailing business and they used to buy it in drums, I think they were 60 litres, and they used to sell it to me in my own drums which were old CT18 truck wash drums, 20 litres or 25 litres. It was cheap to buy that way. So you could try one of your local car detailers and/or second hand car yards?

Hi Alan, this is an interesting question that has been asked as I have a Rans S6ES to put to gether when I get back home to Bundy in Sep.

What is in armorall that gives it the UV protection?

• Informative 1

Hi Alan, this is an interesting question that has been asked as I have a Rans S6ES to put to gether when I get back home to Bundy in Sep.What is in armorall that gives it the UV protection?

I can't answer that one Mike but other than being a vinyl and plastics 'conditioner' the primary thing that Armorall is, is a UV protectant/blocker. Best way to look after plastics is to stop them being degraded by UV. Info here, cheers, Alan

Two Dacron covered aircraft left in the same hangar over winter mine treated with the 303 protectant and the other with none

When I returned from OS all the 303 treated surfaces on my aircraft were badly affected with mold and the other aircraft which also had not flown was not affected.

I cleaned it all off and then thre years later discovered that the tail fabric which was directly under a polycarbonate skylight had degraded and failed the Betsometer test.

two lessons learnt

cheers

Davidh

What is in armorall that gives it the UV protection?

Hmm.... in my younger days I was in this business for a while and Armorall is the one product we would never apply to quality car dashboards as it accelerated their ageing in the sun. None of the manufacturers would recommend it's use also if I recall (which in itself may not necessarily mean a lot though). If the car was just for sale no problem, always makes it look good although dust does stick a little more. Now they have better dash materials and UV block in the glass so this is much less of an issue but a big problem in past decades.

• Agree 1

l have used aerospace 303 protectent on my drifter skins for the last couple of years and they are as good as new l spray it on every three months and rub it in with a rag .

Seems like Aerospace 303 is the way to go. How much do you Drifter guys need to cover your top surfaces?

l use about 500mls to do all top surfaces.

Do you wash the 2 stroke oil off the tail feathers prior to applying it?

l use some mild detergent scrub it as much as l can then pressure wash the entire aircraft once dry spray and rub in with rag .