Any tips/advice on flaring?

You should land BETTER with the extra weight provided that you allow for it by using a higher approach speed. I am surprised that instructors haven't emphasised this important fact more. A heavier plane is more stable and easier to maintain a fixed approach path and a stable airspeed.

I think what I am doing there (in the Drifter) is using the same approach speed for solo as I would 2 up, so I tended to float a little longer, but it always resulted in the gentlest of touchdowns for me.

You should vary your speed or in some instances you will use too much strip and in others may not carry a safe margin of airspeed Your approach speed varies depending on weight and conditions. You may be doing it by numbers rather than responding to the situation the plane presents you with. Every landing is unique and if the wind is gusting the flare will be very different ( as an example). If your margin of extra speed is small as with landing at a short field you will make a quicker more positive flare and get it on the ground quicker and slower , using less runway. Nev

In general, I try to make every landing a short field landing. Easy in a Drifter, but I suspect I would run into problems with faster more complex aircraft. I had the advantage of doing my initial training at a very short field, with very little room for error, all the other strips I use have enough length for it not to be a problem. But yes you are correct, and maybe I should pay it some attention, lest it bite me. I have had a few issues when flying a different Drifter but the same type, I tried to fly the same numbers when I should have been listening to the aircraft, it was talking loud enough.

Maybe some more hours in this little thing will see improvement, I did initially have a lot of trouble adapting to landing so slowly, my instincts told I was way too slow, but I was still too fast.

M61A1 it's easy to get used to adding a bit of extra speed. It makes things a bit more simple but not a good habit really. Perhaps doing a bit of airwork at low speed with an instructor so you feel happier. When you get into a different aircraft it would pay to find out what it behaves like before trusting the airspeed indication. A lot of them, (ASI's) are out. Nev

. A lot of them, (ASI's) are out. Nev

Found that out the had way, one particular Drifter I've flown over reads badly, had to approach over 60kts indicated to get the same as others at 50kts ind, very nearly dumped me on my arse when I tried to land at 50kts in it. I was a very short field landing with not an ounce of extra energy to get rid of.

Just a thought M. Your thread title is about flaring and it occurred to me that when I was teaching, which is now a frighteningly long while ago... I remember that we used to avoid the flaring word since it gave some folk the idea they were supposed to flare, whereas in fact you don't flare deliberately, it just happens.

The thing was, that when people tried to flare they just ballooned and so ended up high and slow, and not comfortable at all.

So we killed the flare word and only spoke about holding off. In other words get close to the ground and stay close to it but don't let the wheels touch, just keep holding them off. That way, as you got slower and slower you had to keep raising the nose to keep the wheels from touching, until the plane stalled and you couldn't hold em off any longer. The progressive raising of the nose was an inadvertent flare, if you like, and avoided ballooning, and holding off also produces the shortest landing.

At the end of the day its exactly the same as you're working on doing but the different mindset helped some people, hope it helps you, cheers, Al

• Like 2

Just a thought M. Your thread title is about flaring and it occurred to me that when I was teaching, which is now a frighteningly long while ago... I remember that we used to avoid the flaring word since it gave some folk the idea they were supposed to flare, whereas in fact you don't flare deliberately, it just happens.The thing was, that when people tried to flare they just ballooned and so ended up high and slow, and not comfortable at all.

So we killed the flare word and only spoke about holding off. In other words get close to the ground and stay close to it but don't let the wheels touch, just keep holding them off. That way, as you got slower and slower you had to keep raising the nose to keep the wheels from touching, until the plane stalled and you couldn't hold em off any longer. The progressive raising of the nose was an inadvertent flare, if you like, and avoided ballooning, and holding off also produces the shortest landing.

At the end of the day its exactly the same as you're working on doing but the different mindset helped some people, hope it helps you, cheers, Al

While I agree with HITC in principal, surely this sort of thing is being taught practically?? The landing is one of the critical parts of flying... why are you trying to fine tune it on a forum? You pay the instructor for a service, if you feel you are not yet competent then let him know.

Remember though, that the instructor will get you to a basic competent level... only experience will fine tune your skills as required for different scenarios.

• Agree 1

Someone added to the title after a complaint that my title wasn't accurate, that said I did use the term "flare" in my initial question. Perhaps it should have been titled "how do I hold off at the correct altitude under certain light conditions, under which I've noticed I don't seem to perform with my usual accuracy". I put it out there on the forum in case someone else had a similar issue, and if so, how did they work around it? I'm coping OK with it, I just want to keep improving.

1. It's not economical to run off to an instructor every 10 minutes ( in any case I thought there were heaps of them on here)

2. I only have the problem in my 95.10, I can't take an instructor with me.

• Like 6

I put it out there on the forum in case someone else had a similar issue, and if so, how did they work around it?

...and keep on asking your questions M61A1, as there is never any dumb questions in aviation and there is bound to be someone else here that has had the same experience or can provide helpful advice

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recall having approach and specifically landing problems in my Minicab - I found it very intimidating to three-point as I'd only ever flown tri-gears... and it was my first low-winger, too! I needed about 5 hours of circuits with an instructor and 5 hours ground taxi testing before I felt comfortable to solo. I didn't feel at home in it until about 20 hours flying time.

I think the more you fly something the more you'll get used to it. Different aircraft are all... wait for it... different! I think you'll get there for sure - and the 95.10 is a high-wing taildragger as well, so you can see exactly whats going on with your gear simply by glancing down.

Cheers - boingk

• Agree 1

Look right down the far end of the runway, not a bit in front of the aeroplane.

Make sure you're sitting high enough to see over the dashboard. (as appropriate)

A good landing comes from a good approach, make them as accurate and consistent as you can.

• Like 1