Natfly. Pre-emptive briefing.

Hi All.

Natfly is here again. If your intending on flying into the event I would like to offer some tips and some guidance for the less experienced, and perhaps a gentle reminder to the old skydogs.

Fact: Flying to an airshow/ flyi-in is one of the most dangerous things you can do in a light aircraft. Statistically, 'get there itis, and get home itis has claimed countless pilots, and indeed some forum members and also friends of forum members. I find myself wishing I had had the chance to have a 2 minute quiet chat with some of these guys after hearing about their demise. So I hope Im not being pretencious here, but I would like to have that quiet chat with you all NOW, as I remind myself also of the dangers and work through the plan of arriving there by air.

If I can offer one tip that I would like you all to hang your hat on its this. If you would like to arrive on friday and leave on sunday then your plan should be this: I will plan to arrive on the best day leading up to the weekend. If the weather looks better on thursday, then im going on thursday. If it looks better on wednesday, then im going to take time off work and head out on Wednesday. You CAN NOT lock yourself into the mind set that I WILL FLY DOWN ON FRIDAY. If you can't afford to leave a day earlier or later, then jump in the car and drive. If you plan to leave sunday, then you need a back up plan all the way through till late in the week. I want to leave on sunday, but I can stay until thursday or friday (worst case) if i need to. If not, then you guessed it, its the car for you.

You simply cant plan a 3 day flying trip a week in advance. It is deadly!!!. You can plan a 3 day flying trip that 'can be done over the entire week if need be'. But you can't lock into "im going on friday,and ill be back on sunday." I can't stress that enough. We dont operate twin engine turbine aircraft with IFR ratings. We are STRICTLY VFR pilots. Its not difficult to change your thinking and take your time, it may be difficult to organise your work etc, in that case..DRIVE!!!!.

Tip 2. The arrival.

There will be a unicom active at Temora. Unicom is NOT air traffic control They will give you advice on the best way to join the cct etc, but in the end YOU must be safe and responsible for your flight. My tip here is this, again, don't rush. Plan to arrive well above the circuit height. remember, vertical seperation is a very safe way to remain clear of known traffic. Arrive High. Spend the time to get your head at the airfield BEFORE your bum gets there. Sort out whos in the cct, where the inbound traffic is, and put yourself in the picture. Stay high, descend on the dead side and join as required. ONLY when your comfortable. Its amazing how much of a difference 5 minutes can make.

Don;t think your at an airshow and on display. A NORMAL approach and normal landing is ALL you need to do. YOU ARE NOT AN AIRSHOW PILOT..!!!! NO body is going to be impressed with your high speed pass, big pull out and horrible circuit and crappy landing... Fly accurately, and safely.

The departure.

Its a big rush isn't it..Gotta pack up, get the aeroplane fueled up, check the weather, and head off. This is where the real problems occur. Pre flight WELL. PLAN WELL and fly normally. Nothing is different, only more traffic. Be vigilant and keep your head on the job of flying YOUR aeroplane.

never assume that unicom has evrything under control, and certainly NEVER assume everyone is on the same page with radio etc. Eyes outside and clear the turns.

I hope this helps a bit. If anyone else can offer some advice please do so. I dont want to hear another problem this year!!!!!.

I will add to this post a little closer with some detailed weather observations to assist your planning. At this stage its looking better for the qlders to get down, not so good for the mexicans. But its early days and you can be sure the forcast will change..

Cheers

Fly safe.....(or ill have ya!!!!!!)

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

One thing people should remember is that different aircraft have different performance. 2 years running I been nearly run over by the following aircraft to take off. If you are flying a high performance aircraft and there is a Rag n Tube in front of you, make sure they are well clear before you start rolling.

• Agree 1

That old saying "If you have time to spare go by air" never has more significance than when going to a fixed timeframe flyin. I flew into Warbirds over Wanaka in 2000. Luckily there was a temp ATC setup. It was amazingly busy, No 10 on final etc. The stress is real high but very rewarding to get it all right. A bit of recovery time, then the show & all adrenaline again to leave. 600 light A/C flew in that day. Spent nearly a day in Queenstown airport trying to leave & then when we did it was in the opposite direction to home. It took another day but we visited another small town & aerodrome. Take your time, it's all part of the adventure.

Good, sound advice. I've never been to a fly-in so I'm pulling out all the stops for this one in terms of perparation.

Glad you took the time to give a writeup, Motza.

- boingk

No worries Boink. I'm glad to offer some advice and hopefully get people thinking ahead of time. If your no overly experienced then it would pay to be planning already . Watching the weather, planning that plan B etc. your flight planning doesn't start on the day. You can be doing it, modifying it, planning for alternates etc well ahead of time. If you have any questions or areas of concern never be scared to call your instructor or chief, or old air dog for advice.

Have fun, the planning can be lots of fun:)

Out of interest, is there a published arrival procedure for this event ?

As an example, here are the procedures for the big annual microlight event in France : http://ulmblois2012.blogspot.fr/

There are also marshals on the arrival threshold, with green and red flags to 'wave-off' any arrivals too close behind the preceding aircraft and at the entrance to the departure runway, who were there specifically to regulate the traffic to avoid the 'catching-up' problem mentioned above.

Guest Andys@coffs

Its one of lifes ironies that we cant get access to class D and duke it out with the few other aviators who may be flying there at the same time, because we dont have enough training.....but we can all congregate at a national fly-in where the traffic densities are easily an order of magnitude greater and the control available significantly less......

Ive been to 3 Natfly's and the first Norfly (Monto) over the years and I dont go anymore becuase for me, the percieved benefits dont outweigh the risks.....Ive seen some very poor performances in the times I have been, and I have to say it isnt always just the RAAus aircraft/pilots that are the offenders.....

Andy

Gentreau, yes there is a published procedures manual that is sent to all RAAus members and Im pretty sure there will be (or maybe already is) a NOTAM issued that has the main aspects as well

No worries Boink. I'm glad to offer some advice and hopefully get people thinking ahead of time. If your no overly experienced then it would pay to be planning already . Watching the weather, planning that plan B etc. your flight planning doesn't start on the day. You can be doing it, modifying it, planning for alternates etc well ahead of time. If you have any questions or areas of concern never be scared to call your instructor or chief, or old air dog for advice.Have fun, the planning can be lots of fun:)

Thanks mate, and yeah I'm already planning. Maps are enroute and I've tagged the appropriate pages in my ERSA for primary and alternates. Frequencies go on a postit-note on the dash and my 406MHz beacon is on the shelf with my 'go-to gear' in case of an outlanding. Camping stuff all packed... lets do this!

- boingk

• Like 1

Its one of lifes ironies that we cant get access to class D and duke it out with the few other aviators who may be flying there at the same time, because we dont have enough training.....but we can all congregate at a national fly-in where the traffic densities are easily an order of magnitude greater and the control available significantly less......Ive been to 3 Natfly's and the first Norfly (Monto) over the years and I dont go anymore becuase for me, the percieved benefits dont outweigh the risks.....Ive seen some very poor performances in the times I have been, and I have to say it isnt always just the RAAus aircraft/pilots that are the offenders.....

Andy

Gentreau, yes there is a published procedures manual that is sent to all RAAus members and Im pretty sure there will be (or maybe already is) a NOTAM issued that has the main aspects as well

I Had access to class D to fly into YMAV Avalon