Trying to find ex Casey Airfeld Pilots and visitors

Hi all

I'm trying to put together a list of contacts for pilots etc who have either flown from or otherwise been associated with what was Casey Airfield, Berwick, Victoria which was active for many years until its eventual closure (due to residential progress???) around 190-91.

My name is Eric Wilson and I was otherwise known back then as "Eric from Berwick" - for several years I ran the flying school office and met just about everyone who flew from Casey or owned an aircraft operating there.

If you were involved with Casey Field I would love to hear from you and if you likewise know of others I would also appreciate their details.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Eric from Berwick - known on here as Ricochet

I used to fly from Casey in 1985-86 in the Scout C150 TDX. Did about 12 hours. My father also occasionally flew from there.James Tatlock.

Thanks for your response James - you probably remember Dick Humphrey who ran the Scout activities back then. Good to hear from you.

Eric from Berwick

• More 1

I visited Casey Field a few times in 1979 when I was at the RAAF Academy at Point Cook. I had bought a KR2 that was half built and I was out at Casey to talk to a guy that had experience building wooden aircraft with a view to getting some help to learn how to build with wood.

As well as speaking with the bloke I was there to see, I can recall having some long chats with someone called "the Colonel" I think it was. He may have been the airport manager?

As a 17yo homebuilt aircraft nut, I remember it was always fascinating visiting Casey to see the aircraft there and soak up the ambience of the place.

• 1 year later...
Hi allI'm trying to put together a list of contacts for pilots etc who have either flown from or otherwise been associated with what was Casey Airfield, Berwick, Victoria which was active for many years until its eventual closure (due to residential progress???) around 190-91.

My name is Eric Wilson and I was otherwise known back then as "Eric from Berwick" - for several years I ran the flying school office and met just about everyone who flew from Casey or owned an aircraft operating there.

If you were involved with Casey Field I would love to hear from you and if you likewise know of others I would also appreciate their details.

Hi Eric,

I use to fly into Berwick often in my Comanche as I had family who lived in Dandenong& Box Hill. I recall on 1 occasion when I flew in with a friend of mine who was a budding Flying Instructor, we had a long discussion with the 'COURNEL' whilst waiting for my relatives to come & pick us up. The Cournel asked my friend would he like to come to Berwick to do some instructing as the Flying School was looking for GA Instructors. When my friend asked the COURNEL what he would be paid, the Cournel told him that he would be gaining flight hours at no cost & no pay but getting valuable experience instead.

Hi allI'm trying to put together a list of contacts for pilots etc who have either flown from or otherwise been associated with what was Casey Airfield, Berwick, Victoria which was active for many years until its eventual closure (due to residential progress???) around 190-91.

Hi Eric,

My time at Berwick was with the VFMG learning to fly gliders, from about 1960 - 64 until they moved to Bacchus Marsh, as I lived over 50 miles to the east this curtailed my flying considerably. As luck would have it there was some interest being shown in the Leongatha/Korumburra area which resulted in us being able to form the South Gippsland Gliding Club which is now located at Leongatha airfield.

I soloed there in 1962 and logged aprox 30 hrs of mainly 4 minute flights! My first solo was toward the south, the winch would have been located or near where the freeway is now, I even managed to help the Gov push his 180 out of the hangar a couple of times which seems and was a long time ago.

Regards Graeme Henry

Hi - yes I did get an email from Dave Squirrell regarding the Reunion and I responded to him. Unfortunately due to my Location in Phoenix Arizona and my current work commitments I will not be able to attend however I would love to be there and meet up with all the folks from back then. I hope to hear from anyone who attends and photos would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Eric from Berwick

• 2 years later...

Hi

I came across your post as I also was trying to piece together the 70's era at Casey Field.

I got my PPL at Berwick with Groupair when Bill Campell-Hicks was the CFI. I flew quite regularly with Dave Squirrel, John Hewat, K D Moore, Dick Humphey, Rohan Rohnstein, Nick Bauwmeester and others in C150s (KQM, RXV, DFD, KUK, IRQ), C172s (RVG and ROA).

I had a throttle linkage failure (jammed full open) on climb to 4000 during on my 2nd flight in PA140 RVU which gave me a lot of confidence in the quality of instruction at Berwick if not the aircraft. Instructions from the office were drop full flap, maintain but do not exceed VFE, return over the top and cut the motor (mags off). I think I had about 2 hours solo at the time and it was very reassuring to have John Hewat wander out to 27 with a fire extinguisher just in case I stuffed up the full glide approach he had taught me (:-

1207898137_CaseyFieldEarly80s.jpg.bbdd15f60ab8401ad4635732a6201cb1.jpg

• Like 1

Maie Casey ( she did NOT like being referred to by her friends as 'Lady Casey'), was a very, very keen aviator. Both she and Richard ( also not in the slightest stuffy amongst friends) were two of the nicest, most genuine people I have had the pleasure of knowing reasonably well. Richard, when G.G., had a Porsche 912, which he used to take out for a blast around Canberra backroads when he was bored, much to the consternation of his bodyguards who could not keep him anywhere in sight in their Ford Fairlane.. Maie drove a bog-standard Mini, and liked to go places anonymously with Ruth Dobson as her consort. The obligatory guards in the Fairlane looked like an elephant following an echidna..

Legend has it, that Maie Casey's very clear diction and somewhat 'English' accent, was instantly recognised by controllers around Victoria, and when she was in the circuit, controllers sometimes responded to her calls with: 'Lady Casey' rather than her rego letters. I don't know it that is true, but if so, then it is a lovely tale of a time when there was just a bit of latitude in flying, for personalities. From what I have heard, she was a damn good pilot; she certainly knew her stuff in conversation..

• Caution 1

• 4 years later...

Hi Chris Howells here.

At Casey Field (Groupair) I had my TIF on 6/2/81, First lesson 11/2/81, First Solo 25/5/81 RPPL 8/1/82

Instructors were Peter Dow, T(erry??) Mulholland, and Dave Squirrel the best yarn teller in the club.

Moved to Essendon/Managalore to complete Navs and attained UPPL 25 Mar 1982.

• Like 1