Accident Investigation: Is Age a Factor

What we did in the Australian transport industry when we are able to split out the number of truck driver deaths from fatigue (going to sleep at the wheel and driving off the road) was to be proactive and get in ahead of the governments who had never addressed the problem and were likely to over-react. Then when the government legislated, the Act was very precise and addressed the causes, and we are now over the moon at a steadily falling death statistics, drivers coming home to their families etc - a great success story.

Turbo, . . .that was a darned GOOD result, and more power to those who made it happen. My cynicism is directed at those in Europe who now run this country lock stock and barrel,. . . who have neither ( apparently ) the intelligence or interest to weigh the evidence presented in ANY particular case, or even if it exsits, . . . return with legislation which is so convoluted that no one understands it, and moreover, it is very rarely fit for the purpose that the proponent intended. Regrettable but a fact.

It is nice to hear that something sensible happened in the case you illustrated.

Typical example, . . . an instrument of transport policy was proposed by the delegate from Italy. My friend was asked to vote on this, alongside several hundred other minor votes in the European Parliament. He could not possibly atend all of the meetings where all of these things were individually discussed, not sufficient hours in a day. . . SO. . . . .he had to ask his team of "Advisors" what was the best way to vote on each individual issue. . . . you see the problem ??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some light reading at the following sites:-http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22571979

&

http://www.thecjc.org/pdf/gc09/gc09-2.pdf

Good picture of comparison of a coronal view of a normal brain and one that is affected by Alzheimers but have no idea how old the individuals were who owned the brains pictured.

It also emphasises that neuropsychological assessment is the only way to measure alterations in cognitive and behaviour function.

062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

I think there's more to it than that(in regard to flying and driving).....my previously referred to, grandfather, was mentally sharp, until the day he died, and loved debating and arguing. It was terrifying be in in a vehicle with him, he would always drive at his own "safe" speed (really slow), but the number of times he nearly got himself killed or someone else were numerous, through being completely oblivious to what was happening around him, and his lack of response to such incidents.
  • Like 1