Latest Jab chat

Vev

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Howard Hughes

Love the twin engined Jab!

Wonder how it performs on one donk, probably not too bad given the close proximity of the engines to the longitudinal axis!

Hope we don't go back to the Avro Ansens and Miles twins with unable to feather engines on twins, which means you only extend the glide when one engine fails. This gives you no safety over inhospitable terrain. In fact you have just doubled your chances of not making it. I doubt it would be certified. Nev

Lol..Wow, how do they keep up with all those changes, mods, redesigns, tinckerings and general stooging? Spose I will be testing all these new 'improvements' for them, as will my students.. Yay for us!!!

• Winner 1
  • Caution 1

Twins are cool planes till one engine is shut down and then they become a very bad underpowered aeroplane with a big weight hanging out on one side doing nothing good for you. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest Escadrille

If you change the oil with the seasons,ie 4 times a year due to changes in humidiy and therefore acids accumulation, which I think is a good thing to do...( my old LAME Instructor told me this) then as most people only fly weekends and therefore accumulate approximately 50 flying hrs a year then you are effectively changing the oil and filter every 12-13 hrs. I find my engine still passes a leakdown test every year doing this..

FWIW,

Andy

Twins are cool planes till one engine is shut down and then they become a very bad underpowered aeroplane with a big weight hanging out on one side doing nothing good for you. Nev

Yea, I meant has anyone flown the tecnam twin. Does it have csu? Not that electric rubbish , proper feather ability?

Yea, I meant has anyone flown the tecnam twin. Does it have csu? Not that electric rubbish , proper feather ability?

I don't think so, becomes a bit of a helicopter with an engine failure.

Guest Andys@coffs
With 160hp from 2 x 4 cylinder engine this will give it some spectacular climb performance?

Offset by the added drag of 3 front of planes where we only normally have 1

Iwonder what you can do with the storage in the nose (the real one) I can see that the motors are effectively back from their normal position pressumably to offset the CofG penalty that 2 x 80 would have over 1 x 120. The storage space is a long moment away from Cof G so weight will be sensitive

Anyway, an interesting concept that is happening in South Africa....

Andy

I like the new prop and the optional 'cold weather assist' electronic ignition boost (which possibly should be standard equipment if it works as advertised). The argument against fuel injection seems a bit spurious given the engine currently doesn't have a second dual carburettor redundant fuel supply. The Jab engine would benefit a lot from injection I think, seems to work a treat for those who have done this from what I hear. But the extra cost point is valid of course.

I don't get the twin 80 HP engine concept. The Miles Gemini had two 90 hp cirris/ gypsy/ engines and was indeed a cute little plane but like so many of the period was not able to fly on one engine as the propellers were not able to be feathered. That was OK then but I couldn't see it being certified today as they all have to be able to climb (slightly) at max weight on one engine. Nev