Poor airmanship or not?

Oh these guys knew alright, two of them apologised! This was RWY 30 at YCAB

BP my post wasn't directed at yours but the one from Latrobe Valley.

We all make mistakes, and all have to be on our guard. I was test flying at our quiet local airport recently, when a Cessna wondered through the circuit area, with no idea of where he was or what he intended to do.

The wrong runway, the wrong altitude, radio calls at the wrong points.

Luckily I spotted him, but wasted valuable time looking around to ensure that the aircraft I could see was actually the one making the calls. He was out by a county mile.

As I executed a standard circuit, I spied him c.500 feet below me on a wide, low meandering approach that led him to land directly in front of me- not on the runway he had been mentioning in his radio calls. He did a touch and go and we haven't seen him since. A couple of commercial pilots watched this fascinating display of airmanship. I should have reported him, but was too preoccupied to get his calling card.

..... he at least announced his presence .......I would rather know of your existence early ...... than not having had the opportunity to locate and avoid you.

Rick-p

I commend your comments here Rick.

It's very easy for folks to criticise but no-one actually caught up with the 'culprit' at the time to find out the full story.

I'm a bit of a stickler for correct circuit procedures, after all it's only when we're all herded together into a traffic pattern that we're likely to bump into each other but at the same time I'd be the first to admit to having made some radio blunders and in this case more relevantly, some hasty broadcasts to at least make others aware of my presence when things weren't going well for me and I didn't have enough time to concentrate on perfect broadcasting.

It doesn't take much to raise the blood pressure when the situation starts to get ahead of you - poor visibility in rain, a rifle strap caught under a tailrotor pedal, an unlatched door, a gastro attack, a non-operational de-mister, low on fuel, a violently airsick passenger, racing a storm front, the list could go on but those are just a few of the relatively minor issues that have had me make less than perfect arrivals.

However, whether minor or even in a far more serious situation than those I described Rick has pointed out what is really relevant - announcing your presence. The rest of the folk in the circuit have time on their hands and presumably are not under stress, so they are well placed to scan and avoid if necessary, at least they knew to look out for someone who might not be doing the expected thing.

Too much criticism and people like the one in this example are likely to not broadcast at all, and that happens a fair bit and is a much worse situation in my opinion.

In regard of the runway direction, if I'm not absolutely certain of it, I don't make an estimation of the runway bearing. If I estimate it and then state 'Runway 27' when in fact it is Runway 29, you could bet your bottom dollar there'll be another airstrip locally with a Runway 27 and other traffic will assume I'm over there, not here. So if I'm not sure I call "landing into the West" or if it's a straight-in I would call "approaching from the East". It might not be procedurally perfect but is easy for me if I'm under pressure and should be clear enough for others to understand, and I think that's the most important aspect.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

While there is no excuse for not preparing prior to arrival, one should consider the possibility of the momentary mental blank. It's downright embarrassing to know where you're at, and where you're going, then forget the words halfway through your departure call.

I'd like to know from the pilot in question what was going on, I had a bout if kidney stones a couple of years ago , I couldn't stop thinking about what I would've done had it started its job on me while flying, I would've been consumed with getting on the ground , although a mayday would've been in the cards

Matty