newbe with the same question..which plane etc

Guest disperse

Guest disperse

hi all and a thanks in advance...my name is troy and ive just decided on my new goal or many

im going to first get my license and then the cross country endorsment

then im going to buy a plane and head off on many many adventures:hug:

i see myself sitting by the campfire in the middle of nowhere sipping coco and staring at the amazenly (is that a word) bright stars

is it worth buying my own plane to learn to fly in ? and what sort of running cost are involved. ie rebuilds etc

2nd im looking at something along the lines of a quantum....but i want to be able to do some big trips (1500ks or so ) of coarse with stops

3rd is the budget ....a good 2nd handy for under 20k

pls enlighten me ................tis the start

ps also trainers around sydney......thanks again

G'day,

I can't give you any pointers because I am only a newie here myself. But I am sure you will find enough info on these forums to help.

I just wanted to say that the idea of flying to an isolated spot for a campfire is also my idea of heaven. Maybe substitute a bottle of Bundy for the coco, there is no alcohol limit on flying planes :)

Hope you find what you are after, your plan is a worthy one.

Guest floatHigh

Hi Troy,

I think it's best to do some flying first. You will find your ideas will change and evolve throughout your aviation experience.

However, your dreams are great to get you started...! :) (a trip I would like to do [soon] too!)

Hi Troy,

I see you are at St Marys. Hoxton Park is close and reasonably quiet and close to the training area. Sydney Jabiru Flying School is where I am training. But try a few TIFs with different schools if you are uncertain.

Bluespin

Guest Booker YPMQ

Hi Troy,

My advice for what is may be worth. Definately don't purchase an aeroplane until you have a few hours under your belt. (i.e. completed the pilot course). Not so much because of the hours but like others have said, if you give yourself the opportunity to fly a handful of types in the initial part of your flying life you will be much better equiped to finally decide what characterisitcs you want in the aeroplane you do eventually buy. Remember that aeroplanes can be like boats....they are easy to buy but can be very hard to sell when you need to. In addition to this, you will learn a lot about different types by just chatting to other pilots and hanging around the flying school. This site is a good place to ask a lot of questions.

Cheers

Hi and welcome. Looks like you've got some big ambitions there and I hope you make it all the way to fullfilling them. I would suggest that you take it one step at a time and others have said try a TIF first. There would be several options open to you at The Oaks that might give you a better idea on the best way to achieve your goals;)

David

Quote:Originally Posted by Bigglesworth viewpost.gif

G'day,

Maybe substitute a bottle of Bundy for the coco, there is no alcohol limit on flying planes :)

Is this a leg pull or are you serious???? __________________

That depends, is that in the nature of an enquiry or an invitation? :)

Actually I drink very little, the bundy is for the others to provide entertainment for me.

Eight hours bottle to throttle!

Don't buy an airplane before you do several hours flying training. Hsten slowly. There are a lot of recreational aircraft from which to choose. Also remember that the moment you acquire something, you automatically acquire the problem of how to get rid of it when you no longer want - or need - it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Troy, I'm out near Penrith so not far from you. I started in GA, and still love getting behind the stick of something with two eggbeaters every now and then if I can scheme a seat on one but I'm finding I can't justify spending $200 an hour to hire a Warrior or C172 to keep my GA licence current and go places I can get to quicker in or at least cheaper in the same time in newer equipment via RA aircraft. RA provides a VERY affordable alternative, do some hours but rest assured I'm sure when you look at it if you decide to buy something down the track it won't send you broke.

Welcome Troy,

Definitely fly first. There is a smorgasboard of recreational aircraft out there and they are all wonderful in their own way. You'll eventually settle on one. Then it's time to look for one to buy.

• 11 years later...

Great thread! I had the same question. Saw a post that suggested it would be cheaper to buy a small Cessna (or similar) and then train in that and sell it when you have your licence. I've only been flying for a week (yes, literally) and am already absolutely hooked. Cant wait to get up in the air again and thinking about flying constantly. Love the idea of the convenience of your own plane but also understand the economics associated with planes and the maintenance costs (i.e. if its cheap then it will soon cost you a lot of money!). Will be looking at getting PPL first and then see if I want to buy something I think,

That depends, is that in the nature of an enquiry or an invitation? :)Actually I drink very little, the bundy is for the others to provide entertainment for me.

you got out of that one quite nicely Biggles 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif