PocketFMS

rgmwa

Does anyone use PocketFMS?

Pros? Cons? It seems quite expensive ($210 p/a subscription), and I'm wondering how it compares to competing products in terms of features, ease of use, etc.

rgmwa

I know Ozrunways has an enthusiatic following and is great value, but I don't know how the two products compare. The reason I ask is my nearly completed plane has a Dynon Skyview which has 3-D terrain imaging and a lot of other smart features. Dynon recommend using either PocketFMS or Jeppesen for Australia, and I don't know whether Ozrunways is comparable.

rgmwa

• Agree 1

Much as I don't like apple...buy a mini 3g and ozrunways. Can't beat ozrunways...just keeps getting better and better.

Chocolate, each to their own but why don,t you like apple products? greatest things since sliced bread I think.

I've got the skyview with the fms. Had the Jepp originally.

Jep is probably more accurate but the fms has more regional airports.

I find the gps and synthetic vision slightly out with the fms.

Chase up Jake on the Dynon forum, he's the Aussie dynon expert and the best person to ask.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I know Ozrunways has an enthusiatic following and is great value, but I don't know how the two products compare. The reason I ask is my nearly completed plane has a Dynon Skyview which has 3-D terrain imaging and a lot of other smart features. Dynon recommend using either PocketFMS or Jeppesen for Australia, and I don't know whether Ozrunways is comparable.rgmwa

Hi , I've got

the pocket fms on the skyview ,half the price of the gepp. You don't need the subscription fms for the smart phone ,

I've got oz runways which has the more

familiar Ersa ,

This works great for me .

I know FMS doesn't have IFR ,where gepp does , I don't need that ,and with the FMS your not paying gepp for something you carnt use

Cheers Mike

Chase up Jake on the Dynon forum, he's the Aussie dynon expert and the best person to ask.

Thanks for the tip. I'll get in touch with him.

rgmwa

I use PFMS for planning and also the navdata on a MGL EFIS and can't rate the product highly enough. But, you are comparing Windrows with iproducts. I am quite sure that both products will get you there:hug:

Chocolate, each to their own but why don,t you like apple products? greatest things since sliced bread I think.

My darling expensive device can't handle a hot day...goes blank at very inconvenient times. And power chargers that cack themselves at the slightest current fluctuation (often in the outback). Nice little earner for apple at 25 dollars a pop. Cannot fault ozrunways. Now especially good as has 1:250000 map in latest upgrade. Choc.

Hi , I've got the pocket fms on the skyview , half the price of the gepp. You don't need the subscription fms for the smart phone , I've got oz runways which has the more familiar Ersa , This works great for me . I know FMS doesn't have IFR ,where gepp does , I don't need that ,and with the FMS your not paying gepp for something you carnt useCheers Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm VFR only too, so Jepp is not on the shortlist.

rgmwa

The $210 is for a bundle of all Pocketfms products. The equivalent of ozrunways is called easyVFR and it's $60pa for Android or iOS, including ERSA FAC.

If you don't need a flightplanner/nav system, the data only subscription for a Skyview is $160pa.

Thanks for that. I contacted PocketFMS last week to clarify costs and your info is correct. I'm planning to go with the Skyview data subscription plus OzRunways on a mini iPad. I had a look at the EasyVFR demo videos, but it didn't seem to be as good as OzRunways.

rgmwa