Hi guys,

Got a mate in brisbane with a son who he is wanting to get a TIF for. Who has a good reputation and any cost details appreciated. The kid is 13 if that makes a difference.

Cheers

I don't think that covers TIFs, as there is a certain grace period (3 hours from memory?) before you even have to have the student cert, since why would someone spring the $185 for the membership and student pilot cert if they then go up on their first lesson and crap down both legs as soon as the wheels leave the ground?

• Agree 1

I don't think that covers TIFs, as there is a certain grace period (3 hours from memory?) before you even have to have the student cert, since why would someone spring the $185 for the membership and student pilot cert if they then go up on their first lesson and crap down both legs as soon as the wheels leave the ground?

My point is that he may not legally be allowed to have control of the aircraft at 13. After 14 if he enjoys his TIF then go for the student pilots licence...

My point was (as was the OP point) check with the flying school first regarding the legal age for a TIF. It would really be disappointing for the young fella to get to the airport and be told "Sorry, but...."

Guest Howard Hughes

Fairly sure there is no lower age limit to fly a GA registered aircraft under instrution.

Student licence is needed only to fly solo in a VH registered plane.

I was of the understanding that a CASA issued student licence (SPL) was required to undertake training( Trial Instructional flight-TIF)) in any GA aircraft. Otherwise the flight would constitute a Joyflight or Charter. Am I mistaken?

From the CASA website:

Getting started - Achieving your Private Pilot Licence

Introduction to flying training and the flying school

The first step in taking up flying, as a career or just for pleasure, is to undertake a Trial Instructional Flight, or TIF, at a licensed flying club or training organisation.

Before you can fly solo, you will need to pass the required medical checks, pass an examination in Air Law and be issued with a Student Pilot Licence (STUDENT). To be issued the SPL, you must be at least 16 years of age and be capable of reading, writing, speaking and understanding the English language. You will also need to obtain an ARN (Aviation Reference Number) from CASA, supply photographs and identification documentation, and complete a security check.

More................

Thanks DJ, I had a look, the information and subsequent searches on the CASA website did not clearly state if any requirements were required for the initial TIF if flown with an approved instructor who holds an AOC- that's why I asked. In RA, all initial flights are considered flights under training and potential candidates must be at a minimum, a temporary member of RA Aus to undertake a TIF as we have no provision under CAO 95.55 etc to conduct "joyflights" or charter.

Many Thanks.