Gone Solo!!!!

Went Solo today, blue sky, minimal clouds, 20kt winds. Best day ever!!! The aircraft really new their was one less person on board, the climb rate was awesome and it took a bit more to get it to come back down. I now have a stupid smile on m face and already my wife and kids a sick of hearing about it. Looking forward to more soloing and the rest of my lessons. I went solo pretty quick i think and my instructor gets all the credit for it, a good instructor goes along way. Can anyone tell me a cure for solo smile? It wont leave my face!

• Like 3
  • Winner 4

Congratulations Av8ta. It is something you will remember for the rest of your life. One of those great experiences we have.

Cheers,

Joe

• Like 2

Thanks fellas, looking really forward to my next flight. Need to get myself a Gopro camera to record my efforts. To many hours to go before I get my full ticket, I wanna fly to Mallacoota and go fishing.

Guest Howard Hughes
Can anyone tell me a cure for solo smile?

There is no cure, you stay like that forever and end up looking like 'the joker'.

Congratulations!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

18 - 20 knots not kph , i didnt think I would be able to go solo so I was surprised when my instructor told me he was hopping out. It was pretty windy and a bit bumpy and slightly crosswind but it still was awesome.

Sorry, you were right! I checked the weather bureau and according to it the wind in klm was 24 with gusts to 32. It felt fairly windy the Tecnam I was in bumped around a bit. I was surprised my instructor sent me solo in those conditions I was sought of hoping to go solo but thought the wind and my hours might put a stop to it but he was confident and so was I, so I went for it. Wish I could of stayed up there but I'll be back up soon enough. Still grinning!!!

Hah, its a handful in a Jab, can't imagine a trike! Are you able to get up at 8am, its a bit smoother then.

I get there at 6:30am and ready to fly by 7:15 ... But when you have to put up the wing and take it down again, it's only worthwhile if the weather is right!

Basically the planets need to align - booked lesson, weekend and perfect weather

Went up again for a heap of solo circuits on Wednesday night. Weather was perfect and the wind was about 1 - 2knts. Heaps of fun only about 5 or 6 other aircraft up with me. Flew till it was getting on dusk. Im going alright except I seem to come in slightly cockeyed on landing, like theres a slight cross wind, when there's not one. Last landing was the best, I think I have my wings not quite level and I'm using my rudder to compensate for the drift instead of straightening my wings. Got it right on my last as I said, so I'll keep that up. Area solo here I come.

THAT is when you suddenly remember why you got into this in the first place... when I first took off into the YWOL training area, it was almost spiritual overlooking all that beauty and soaring around without the workload of the circuit! Now i can't wait to start navs so I can see even more, though I know the workload is high there as well... a bit more spread out I think. Great stuff av8ta, flight test can't be far away ay?

Flight test is a while off yet, ive just gone solo, and I went solo pretty early which just means I have a while to go before I can get my ticket. Thats okay, I have a great instructor and I enjoy the lessons.

Congrats on your experience. 20 kts would be fine for a first solo if there were no gusts or cross winds.

I'll remember my first solo for time eternal: there was hardly any wind blowing down the runway. The runway of the strip was only 200 metres long so I had to go around twice before my first landing and subsequent dowsing by instructor and ground crew. The aircraft was a Jet Fox 97, a docile but sexy Italian plane that looks like the Thruster's long lost beautiful sister.