New Type for Australia

Mick

I was lucky enough this morning to witness the first flight in Australia of an aircraft type new to the Australian market, the Skyleader 500.

For info see www.atlasaviation.com.au

Disclaimer : I have no connection to this aircraft, just happened to be there for the test flight.

• 10 months later...

They are gook looking planes. Just wondering does any one know what addition maintenace costs are involved with a csu and retractable gear? I am considering the skyleader 600.

I was lucky enough this morning to witness the first flight in Australia of an aircraft type new to the Australian market, the Skyleader 500.For info see www.atlasaviation.com.au

Disclaimer : I have no connection to this aircraft, just happened to be there for the test flight.

nice add for pipsqueek designs on the link

Guest Nobody
I like the Skyleader 100...

This looks great!! I like the concept. Shame about the useful load numbers and cruise speed...

This looks great!! I like the concept. Shame about the useful load numbers and cruise speed...

Think the numbers are workable... Would be perfect for circuits and bumps if you could have it lsa for hire...

Guest Nobody
Think the numbers are workable... Would be perfect for circuits and bumps if you could have it lsa for hire...

The website only gives 105 kg as the difference between MTOW and empty weight. Fuel it up with 20 kg of fuel and you have only 85kg for a pilot fully dressed and baggage.

That fuel is not going to get you two hours allowing for reserves and so the operational radius is less than 150 nautical miles.

If it could carry 150 kg then the numbers are a lot better...

The website only gives 105 kg as the difference between MTOW and empty weight. Fuel it up with 20 kg of fuel and you have only 85kg for a pilot fully dressed and baggage.That fuel is not going to get you two hours allowing for reserves and so the operational radius is less than 150 nautical miles.

If it could carry 150 kg then the numbers are a lot better...

A fellow like me would have to get in with no clothes on to be able to be legal, not sure what the casa inspectors would have to say about that

• Haha 2

A fellow like me would have to get in with no clothes on to be able to be legal, not sure what the casa inspectors would have to say about that

Better hope you have cabin heat or it won't just be the wheels retracting!

• Haha 5

WTF? You guys all planning to fly around Australia? It's an ultralight aeroplane for gods sake! Lol

So you can't travel more than 100nm from base without it being an adventure...big deal. Plenty of fun to be had still.

• Agree 1

When you fly 20hrs per month, flying around within 100nm would become pretty mundane. Even less hours overtime would achieve same outcome. Individuals would be different but as one flies more hours you'll need to travel further. Also, i know others that do use lsa aircraft for travel due to significantly lower cost compared to GA. So i think certain groups of people in the recreation aviation sector do require lsa that performs like a GA aircraft or better. Weather permitting I fly minimum 4hrs per week and if constrained to 100nm it would be pointless. Some may say that i should get GA aircraft, again the cost difference is substantial. GA aircraft is unviable for most people to do any serious travelling. So a lsa that does 150kts+ with range 700nm+ would be very attractive for travelling.

I like the Skyleader 100...

Looks like an aluminium Volksplane (which I have no problem with, damn good idea in fact!)

Just a bit worried about where the pilot's legs go, is that bloke actually full size or is he like the top half of a Lego man??

• Haha 3

Just a bit worried about where the pilot's legs go, is that bloke actually full size or is he like the top half of a Lego man??

Lets just say his toenails are well manicured ....

WTF? You guys all planning to fly around Australia? It's an ultralight aeroplane for gods sake! LolSo you can't travel more than 100nm from base without it being an adventure...big deal. Plenty of fun to be had still.

Nope, Some ruling was established to prevent heavy AC from being registered with unreasonable usable load - targeted RV and similar. People were claiming they were RAA MTOW however compliant with just one seat and 20l fuel making them at 600kg. Everyone knew they were flying well over 600kg, full fuel and PAX.

Also do your numbers including reserve fuel and you arent going 100nm away.

Id guess this weight is usable load ex fuel.