jabs wing tanks + extra fuel

Russ

question.......total fuel in tanks around 135L....Ok......if one tank was fully topped, other tank was only 60% filled, will both tanks equalize during flite.

eg.....65L into 1 tank, 35L into other tank, that's 100L total in tanks, will i get 100L duration inflite.

Reason for asking.....planning a possible EXTENDED flite...lot's of ocean, so i want to carry extra fuel and transfer into 1 tank inflite. ( jab160 ) Was also thinking maybe i could plumb my "extra fuel" into the existing fuel delivery hose from the header tank in cabin that goes to engine. Any comments appreciated.

Guest Pioneer200

hi russ, I fly a j160 here in nz and are 99% sure the fuel can transfer between tanks, so if you fill one up more than the other as long as you are on level ground or when you fly you fly straight and level with the ball centered it should even out.Where are you heading to mate? If I had 100 litres in the tanks I would flight plan that I was only carrying 85 - 90 litres , hard to get an exact fuel reading by dipping the tanks,and also remember you would want plenty of reserve fuel if you are crossing large amounts of h2o

Russ I lost a post. When I can get to it I may try to do it again. How many hours do you want to fly and are there any divert points en Route? What amount of extra fuel do you want to carry? Nev

• Agree 1

Russ, Don`t know anything about the J160 fuefl line system so I`m probably no help at all.

On the ultralight aircraft I built way back when, I had two fuel tanks made of Epoxy resin. Each one had a clear verticle strip on the side faceing me so I could see the fuel level in flight. They were both hanging off the wing struts and were exactly the same size and placed exactly the same distince out.

Both fuel lines had a tap just before they came to a T section fitting which was positioned on my left and in easy reach so I could turn the taps in flight. They then went into a single line to the engine.

The left line was about 75 cm shorter than the right. I always filled both tanks to the same level. The left tank would always drain faster. If I wanted to keep them ballanced I would turn the left one off, waite for the right one to get down to the same level, then turn it on again.

I was told by someone who knew what he was talking about that even though the two lines were not the same length, the fuel level should have remained the same in both tanks..... That didn`t seem right to me but then I`m not an engineer... Someone may have an answer to both my situation and yours... It may help someone else.

Frank.

thanks guys, keep it coming..........the "plan" is NQ.....Darwin......Timor.....Indo, then up that coastline....then shoot across to Davao ( southern phillapines )......then return NQ.

Seeking a company that can get all the required permits etc for me as well.

• Caution 1

TOO much ocean and crap weather between Darwin and Timor to do it on one engine. Cape York (Thursday Is.)with permits for west Papua would be my choice. Make sure ALL the paperwork is spot on. or we might read about you in the papers. Nev

135ltrs about 98kg - not much room for extra fuel weight wise

To answer the question about equalising the fuel, no problem. Just 'stand on the heavy tank' i.e. rudder , only half a ball out of balanced flight and the fuel levels in a couple if minutes.

Too much water for me in a SE, but others do it.

• Informative 1

To answer the question about equalising the fuel, no problem. Just 'stand on the heavy tank' i.e. rudder , only half a ball out of balanced flight and the fuel levels in a couple if minutes..

Well,I`ll be!!!

Frank.

Fuel will feed faster from fuller tank, for some reason using electric pump helps feed evenly too. Being even tiny out of balance will cause uneven flow

Yes tanks will equalise.

• Agree 1

thanks guys, keep it coming..........the "plan" is NQ.....Darwin......Timor.....Indo, then up that coastline....then shoot across to Davao ( southern phillapines )......then return NQ.Seeking a company that can get all the required permits etc for me as well.

Unless the the international travel and immigration laws have changed , your going to have to arrange your own permits , visas , flight plans , customs , immigration , quarantine , ect , ect ,

Good luck , you'll need it

Funny this post appeared...was just looking at a flight to Indo the other day, daydreaming.

Truscott to Kupang 286 NM....actual land to land is less with Troughton Island (on our side) and Rote Island on theirs.

Cartier Island (a VERY small patch of sand) in the middle with a few oil rigs scattered around....

SO..............who wants to go to INDO? (Should start a new thread I guess) 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

Anyway, having a very good knowledge of the Philippines myself, I would stay right away from Mindanao/Davao.....

Rife with pirates and lawlessness.......I would not like you to lose your head if you know what I mean......

An aussie (ex soldier) was recently released by the Islamic Terrorists after a long time as a prisoner after a payment was made.

His story makes for harrowing reading. Central and Northern Philippines is fine, just the south is "no go".

Unless you have firm reasons, why not fly to Bali instead? I might even come with you......

I always thought refilling your existing tanks from (plastic) jerry cans in the cabin by pressurising them with air via a small hand pump was a good idea.

Refilling the tank that was "offline" so to speak, and not interfering with the fuel flow from the duty tank...

Not tried it myself, so can't say it works.....

Good luck...

aquaintance tells me to venture asia way aircraft must be GA reg, and pilot PPL at minimum......???????

RAA qualifications and aircraft only have jurisdiction in Australia and it's territories.