jabiru starter

lyle janke

hi

i`m in need of a starter for my J120 according to L2

i ring jabiru & get quote for replacement ( suprised@price )

has anyone gone done the path of sourcing from the general parts supply market

ie what fits & what model etc

i`m interested to see if possible

any help appreciated

thanks lyle

I'm pretty sure the jab ice starter motor is made specifically for the jab. I doubt there would be an aftermarket part that fits. It would be interesting to now what the problem is, most things can be fixed unless the casing or mount is broken.

You need to consider the implications of installing non approved parts to a LSA. Unless Jabiru have endorsed an alternately sourced parts how do you know whether Jabiru carry out modifications or quality control processes to the parts they source officially? The fitment of non-approved parts in effect modifies the aircraft from what is described in the original type certificate, with follow-on implications on what the aircraft is allowed to be used for. Of course if Jabiru advise that a part can be sourced alternately (which can happen from time to time) then you know those parts are acceptable. Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't just assume a part is identical when sourced commercially instead of via the aircraft manufacturer. You need evidence that the part is an acceptable substitute, meeting all standards required by the manufacturer.

If you choose to 'tinker' and experiment with non-approved parts, the aircraft by default should be moved to the 'experimental' category with all restrictions that are attached now applying to your aircraft.

In short, it is simpler and safer to buy original or approved substitute parts.

• Agree 1

Despite the fact that most starters can be fixed ( If the parts are available)there doesn't have to be much wrong before it is better to replace it. If it is electrically OK and only the bearings need replacing fine,. If the engaging clutch is worn/slipping That part is usually a dear component. The auto ones I replace usually only cost around 200 dollars. for the whole starter. Permanent magnets and reduction geared BOSCH. Quiet and light (relatively). Most motorcycle ones look the same and are Hitachi? I've even had special ones made for diesels where the genuine ones are too expensive. Usually a landcruiser with a special adaptor does the job in that case. I would stick to the original if it isn't too dear and works OK. The Jab ones require an extra earth wire don't they?. Nev

I read on "jabiruengines" about how this guy rewound his starter-motor himself and he said it was easier than he thought and it works fine. Personally, I'd get a shop to do it unless they were exorbitant on price. So even a burned-out winding is repairable, which is why I agree with Nev to look into repairing the old one.

Nev, there is no extra earth wire on the Jabiru starter motor. There was a recommendation to move the earth lead from the gear-end to the brushes-end, so that the current had a more direct path to the brushes, that is by not travelling though the casing with its joints. Moving the earth wire made no difference to my setup, but on another Jabiru it made all the difference between just starting and easy starting.

... Bruce

I should have said "modified" earth wire. I am sure we are referring too the same thing. The easiest way to work out if something is wrong with a starter system is crank the motor over for a while and feel all connections and parts. Any heat shows a problem.

700$ is a bit high. Bearings worn and the armature poling is the first thing to look for. IF a motor has been hard to start for a long time the engage clutch/ pinion may be worn and that can't usually be repaired. The solenoid and linkage also needs examining. The windings can get cooked if the motor is cranked over too long. IF it is Japanese the parts are usually so expensive that a replacement may be the best option. I have a pile of starters from swap meetings and sometimes you can be lucky to find the right part.. Might be worth taking it to an auto electrician who works on industrial motors or Harley Davidsons.. The smaller motor bikes wouldn't have big enough starters. Nev