The Silence

Keith Page

The silence is deafening.

A few threads ago the noise about Ed giving Myles the STCC position and the mechanics of that appointment "poor goverance". I will state again my interpretation Ed was correct because it was done under an emergencey situation for the board.

I did read in a lot of places in that thread "we need to have good communication", "there is lack of communication" etc. etc. and it went on.

As I hear the of situation at the moment there is complete silence what the board is up to I think they are committing pore governance in silence. Well they are!, as I have not heard a thing.

Good morning All,

I see, Andy said, give the new board time, just how much time do they need, well they could give us a wisper of what is going on, not silence as they are giving us. The president could give us some updates via. RAAus web site, nup just silence.

Can some one and that includes you too Alfa (you must have missed me) answer the following questions, please.

1. At what stage is SMS?

2. I hear there are experts giving directions for the SMS. Who are the experts ?

3. What is happening at the RAAus office?

4. Is the board finding the task daunting? Hence the silence.

5. What is the CEO doing?

It is not only me who would like to know, there are others as well, print it here and we all will know and we will not have suspicious mind working over time.

"Suspicious minds" :- these are the minds not in a constructive state but generating mischief.

(Interpretation for Alfa)

Regards

Keith Page

Have a look at the RAA Members Only portal - there is an update on the SMS from a Board member dated 20 August which answers most of your questions. The previous update was 2nd August.

It is right and fitting that the Board communicate with the members through the RAA site, magazine and meetings. These are their official channels. If they come on this forum and discuss things, that's a bonus.

If you want more specific answers - then ring your member or ring the Board member posting the SMS update.

The Board and CEO are making use of the Members Only portal, the least we members can do it READ it.

Sue

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1

well they could give us a wisper of what is going on, not silence as they are giving us. The president could give us some updates via. RAAus web site, nup just silence.

1. At what stage is SMS?

2. I hear there are experts giving directions for the SMS. Who are the experts ?

Published by Mark Clayton, signed by Jim Tatlock.

"On Monday 19th of August, 2013, the President Rod Birrell and the Treasurer Jim Tatlock met with Kevin Scrimshaw (Safety Assurance Officer) of CASA’s Self Administering Sport Aviation Organisations Section (SASAO). Meetings covered in detail what CASA’s SMS requirements are for Sports Aviation Organizations such as ours.

On the following day, Tuesday the 20th, CASA, RAAus Operations Manager Zane Tully and I began to develop a suitable SMS for our organization. The proposed system offers RA-Aus. the following benefits:

• A Safety Management System that is acceptable to CASA

• A SMS that is similar to those adopted, or being developed by other Sports Aviation Organisations (able to share data)

• Inexpensive

• Stand alone from other procedural documents (smallest impact on current practices)

• Able to be developed and rolled out to Flying Training Facilities (FTF’s) and Clubs minimizing workload for end users

The meeting with CASA will now be discussed with the RA-Aus. Board and a clear direction for the development and implementation of an updated SMS will be published in the near future."

(sorry just saw Sues' post)

• Informative 1

Have a look at the RAA Members Only portal - there is an update on the SMS from a Board member dated 20 August which answers most of your questions. The previous update was 2nd August. It is right and fitting that the Board communicate with the members through the RAA site, magazine and meetings. These are their official channels. If they come on this forum and discuss things, that's a bonus.

If you want more specific answers - then ring your member or ring the Board member posting the SMS update.

The Board and CEO are making use of the Members Only portal, the least we members can do it READ it.

Sue

Hi Sue

I am aware of the posting on the members only on the 22/08/13 I did read that. Signed, Jim Tattlock.

To me, that is ploughing the padock again tells me nothing.

The other issues, where is all the other information?

Regards

Keith Page

Under the new CASR rules, Part 141 GA schools will be provided with an SMS framework by CASA which is specifically tailored to what CASA want. RAAus would be wise to adopt exactly the same SMS as that which the average GA school will be using. Why make work? Give the regulator exactly what they ask for - no more, no less.

happy days,

• Like 1

Under the new CASR rules, Part 141 GA schools will be provided with an SMS framework by CASA which is specifically tailored to what CASA want. RAAus would be wise to adopt exactly the same SMS as that which the average GA school will be using. Why make work? Give the regulator exactly what they ask for - no more, no less.happy days,

Thank you poteroo,

Why remake the SMS when it has been developed, to swing the SMS into RAAus world only some little twitches to be made and off you go.

As you said, Why make work? Give the regulator what they want (done).

SMS out of the way. What about the rest now?

Regards

Keith Page.

"On Monday 19th of August, 2013, the President Rod Birrell and the Treasurer Jim Tatlock met with Kevin Scrimshaw (Safety Assurance Officer) of CASA’s Self Administering Sport Aviation Organisations Section (SASAO). Meetings covered in detail what CASA’s SMS requirements are for Sports Aviation Organizations such as ours.On the following day, Tuesday the 20th, CASA, RAAus Operations Manager Zane Tully and I began to develop a suitable SMS for our organization. The proposed system offers RA-Aus. the following benefits:

• A Safety Management System that is acceptable to CASA

• A SMS that is similar to those adopted, or being developed by other Sports Aviation Organisations (able to share data)

• Inexpensive

• Stand alone from other procedural documents (smallest impact on current practices)

• Able to be developed and rolled out to Flying Training Facilities (FTF’s) and Clubs minimizing workload for end users

The meeting with CASA will now be discussed with the RA-Aus. Board and a clear direction for the development and implementation of an updated SMS will be published in the near future."

Pardon me if I missed a chunk of news - but wasn't this what Myles was supposed to have been working on since his appointment as SMS Co-ordinator? Was that not very early in June - and it appears we are now at the end of August, with the first (presumably) meeting with CASA to actually define what is required? I think a wee bit more explanation of what has been achieved in the intervening period would be not be an unreasonable request of RAA, since (if I am not mistaken) we had a contracted person - Myles - committed for 'up to 30 hours a week' - for at least 10 weeks now?

Or have I missed something basic to my argument?

• Agree 1

Thank you poteroo,Why remake the SMS when it has been developed, to swing the SMS into RAAus world only some little twitches to be made and off you go.

As you said, Why make work? Give the regulator what they want (done).

SMS out of the way. What about the rest now?

Regards

Keith Page.

We run GA and RAAus schools 'back-to-back'. There is an imperative here to have the same SMS for both.

happy days,

If there is any doubt about WHAT is required would n't it be a good thing to check EXACTLY what is wanted? As far as I know we have a reduced group working in the same direction ( for once) WITH CASA. I for one am prepared to give them space. the SMS doesn't affect the paperwork catch up on renewals etc

We run GA and RAAus schools 'back-to-back'. There is an imperative here to have the same SMS for both.happy days,

There are different safety factors so the SMS procedures would not be the same for both, however a common base document covering the 90% which is the same with GA and RA subsections would make a lot of sense.

However the most serious issue at present is that you are operating without ANY safety management system and there are huge legal implications in that.

There are different safety factors so the SMS procedures would not be the same for both, however a common base document covering the 90% which is the same with GA and RA subsections would make a lot of sense.However the most serious issue at present is that you are operating without ANY safety management system and there are huge legal implications in that.

You are correct in that the RAAus SMS will need to cover LP and HP aircraft classes, and perhaps a few other aspects. The way CASA recently explained their Part 141 regs was that they were looking for uniformity rather than a diverse mix of 'expositions' with differing SMS. Would have thought that their thinking should be relevant to having the same over the 100 odd RAAus schools too.

happy days,

The silence is deafening.A few threads ago the noise about Ed giving Myles the STCC position and the mechanics of that appointment "poor goverance". I will state again my interpretation Ed was correct because it was done under an emergencey situation for the board.

I did read in a lot of places in that thread "we need to have good communication", "there is lack of communication" etc. etc. and it went on.

As I hear the of situation at the moment there is complete silence what the board is up to I think they are committing pore governance in silence. Well they are!, as I have not heard a thing.

Good morning All,

I see, Andy said, give the new board time, just how much time do they need, well they could give us a wisper of what is going on, not silence as they are giving us. The president could give us some updates via. RAAus web site, nup just silence.

Can some one and that includes you too Alfa (you must have missed me) answer the following questions, please.

1. At what stage is SMS?

It is not only me who would like to know, there are others as well, print it here and we all will know and we will not have suspicious mind working over time.

"Suspicious minds" :- these are the minds not in a constructive state but generating mischief.

(Interpretation for Alfa)

Regards

Keith Page

Keith, as others have mentioned there are updates on the portal. Not as many as some would like but it's a start. The answers re the SMS are there. I am currently awaiting for consensus from the board to continue work on the casa model SMS. This delay is required for good governance.

As to what is happening at the office they are working extremely hard and extra hours to recover from the awful position that the office was allowed to degenerate into in past years. There is still a substantial registration backlog and I personally believe it will take another 12 months to correct all the wrongs (my view only).

The board (some at least including me) are finding there is lots of work to be done. Head down bum up and not just talking about the issues but actioning them.

What is the gm doing? His job. Strange question.

The SMS is being handled in house at present with consultation with casa.

If you have serious questions or concerns call or email your state rep or me if you like. That is the best way to get information that is accurate. We will endeavour to keep updates on the website when we have information that would be of interest to the members.

Regards,

Jim Tatlock

Vic. State rep.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1