Another engine failure, Hornet STOL down near Taree

Guest Maj Millard
Maj,Wal at Floods told me 8 years back when I first bought my trike told me Pierburgs would outlast the 912 engine itself.

Alf

That's right Alf, and that's why mine is still on, with the new one waiting in the background !..................Maj.......024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Maj Millard
SL-912-015......Hmmmm....does it exist?

I don't see it on the current listings, however I'm sure the maintenance manual would indicate the actions needed after a prop-strike........................Maj...025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Guest Maj Millard

No that's the beauty of the slipper clutch, it saves the motor from serious damage which is a great cost-saver. As long as the crank run out is fine your in business......................Maj....012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Maj Millard

It would be great on this one to get the word from the horses mouth (pilot) on what actually occurred...........anyone know him at all ?....................Maj...

Guest Maj Millard

From the photos it looks to me like the aircraft would be rebuildable, but may need a new left wing. The horiz stab looks bent also...............Maj...

Ross, from the reports from Ole's camp, the damage is far more extensive than can be seen. Apparently it spun in, engine had come back to life but a tad too late for a better result.

Typical good aircraft build of Ole's, strong cockpit with Moly steel frame, and pilot walked out with Zero injury, but sent to hospital as a precaution. Some Hornet's have had horrendous prangs and all have walked away with minor injuries.

This aircraft has a header tank but it was the last of the production runs that did NOT have a warning light for low fuel in the header tank. All current models have a warning light like the Savannahs.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Yes ok, just like the one that crashed off the strip at Luskentyre, the structure has done a fine job of protecting the occupants............well done Ole and crew At Taree....................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Well I am sorry. I did not expect so many folk to fire up so easily from my Rotax remark. I do not personally take sides on the engine preference debate. I believe that all power plants work reliably if you look after their particular care and feeding requirements.

Anyway, Ollie also sometimes employs Subaru power plants (is there a Subaru bashing group too?) and if this A/C had a belt reduction, the failure of that could account for all prop blades broken if it was freewheeling, or maybe it was a partial loss of power. All just speculation but the curiosity is stirred up and it would be great if we could get a definitive explanation (unbiased and without prejudice or blame)

Obviously a nice strong airframe, that and the fact that the U/C leg gave way surely contributed to the wellbeing of the occupants.

• Agree 1