Wig Craft

foxworker

A GA pilot friend of mine was running a company in Cairns a few years ago designing and building wing in ground effect planes. They did get to fly them but it was deemed to be far too expensive to get registration and the company closed. I believe he has the plans if anyone could come up with another bucket of money.

Hi Yen, I wasn`t aware of anyone trying to build them commercially in Cairns. How long ago was it? I`m wondering if the one that was at the boat ramp near the sugar sheds, may have been owned by your friend and that is the type he was building. The one at the boat ramp was a 2 person, side by side.

Frank.

For me the airfish was, pretty innovative, when it was first designed and built. Hybrids like the NZ bloke's one is pretty much another variation of the US one, definitely not terribly innovative, and hardly a true wig craft. Unfortunately the Airfish was ridiculously overpriced for what it was.

I have seeen a few photo of the Cairns planes and they were several different sizes. I think they did fly, but the aim was to produce passenger carrying aircraft, not pleasure craft. When I see him I will ask a few questions.

Some time ago, I was told of a 6 seat WIG that (about 10 - 12 yrs ago) was doing promotional 'flights' on Port Phillip Bay (I think) at the same time of the F1 racing. The operator was trying to raise interest / backing to bring the machine to market. From the description, it could well have been the Cairns WIG.

I have seeen a few photo of the Cairns planes and they were several different sizes. I think they did fly, but the aim was to produce passenger carrying aircraft, not pleasure craft. When I see him I will ask a few questions.

My spies in Cairns passed on this link:

• Like 1