LSA that are trailered

stevron

My family travelled thousands of kilometres towing sailplanes ... including plenty of dirt ...It can be done ... the Sailplane fraternity has been doing it for years...

As previously pointed out ...the correct equipment makes all the difference.

Exactly. If you're talking about recreational aircraft in general, and not merely the LSA sub-group, there are quite a few types that are designed to be folded or de-rigged for road transport; all gliders, for a start. The glider whose image I posted on this thread earlier has 16.2 metres wingspan, and a fuselage length of 8.4 metres, and weighs a little over 300 Kg empty. That photo was taken on a tow from Mangelore to Toowoomba. It needs a really well-designed trailer; but it's quite possible to do this without damaging the aircraft. Skyfoxes and the like are designed to fold mainly for stowage in a hangar; if they are to be trailered, they really need additional support for the wings; and such supports must not overload the wing attachments when the fuselage moves about on its undercarriage, or when the trailer flexes - this can present a difficult design challenge. Being fabric and tube makes it difficult to support them without risking abrasion or local damage. The major constraint is usually the tailplane span, which must not exceed the permissible maximum load width - unless the tail is also designed to fold or be de-rigged. Insurance costs are generally higher if the aircraft is to be road-towed.

• 8 months later...

In South Africa all aircraft certification is overseen by our CAA. The definition of a LSA is largely the same with the only difference is max level speed is 150kts and we can have retracts and VP or CS prop. We have Bushbabies and Explorer's in Auz and the wings can fold, same as the Kitfox and Eurofox

Eurofox, Skyfox, Kitfox, Highlander etc. All have folding wings and can be trailered .

Also, the Zenith CH-750 and Airtrek (both tricycle and tailwheel models), and the X-Air Hanuman.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
What about nando groppo trial folding wing all metal lsa elsa 2 seater Rotax trailerable experimental and cheap

Model is "Trail". Nice aircraft and as you say is not too pricey. It is tandem seated which some won't like.

Mike

Auto correct not cool anyway have been looking for a model similar so can keep at our island home comes with float option too which is a big must for my list trail and sportsman two that i like dont like fabric or plastic and hoping to find something with similar style under a hundred grand keep looking for new models but trail closest so far

Question thou rotax as option to fit but how much would need to be done or is even possible to fit rotec r2800

What about nando groppo trial folding wing all metal lsa elsa 2 seater Rotax trailerable experimental and cheap

I have been in contact with the Gruppo factory and its not that cheap I can assure you by the time you get it here