BMW R1150 / 1200

Valdiviano

They run pretty hot in the bikes. The motor still needs a redrive and ends up pretty heavy. A flat twin is in need of good rubber mounting to allow it to move around with the pulses at lower revs. It might work, as long as it was smooth enough. There are some in use. Nev

There is at least one aircraft around here with an R100 engine in it and carbys at the front.

I'd love to see one done with the latest R1200 that has the water cooled heads. 20% more power and 20% more torque than last year's engine. Would probably give a good 80 - 100 hp when suitably derated.

There is a German company that converts BMW boxers, Take-off gmbh. I believe they claim 112hp @ 6800 or so, from the 1150. Maybe you can buy all the bits and supply an engine yourself. Engines are cheap and plentiful. They can easily handle the work......................Later. I checked . R1200 =75kw @7200 was it 72kgs ? ...Looks from the site that the individual parts are available

Not so at all, Because of the new "Written off vehicle register" that operates country wide MOST damaged motorcycles are written off never to be re-registered. There is a glut of good late model engines available, you have to buy the whole wreck though. You may also have to buy a rocker cover or so. Look at Mannheim Auctions or Pickles Motorcycle salvage, If that is too dear for you go to the states and get one for half what you may pay here.....There is one on ebay as we speak, R1150 engine undamaged the complete wreck for $1700 ONO. Check under

adrenalinpb I will be seeing the dealer Saturday I will look at it if you like... Especially as it includes everything, you may also have enough bits left over to get the cost back completely. .I would say that was cheap enough wouldn't you?

sorry I didn't look too closely, rings, valves and gaskets should not be more than 600 bucks or so. Plus a hundred+ for the hone and maybe K liners I'll fit them for $300. I'll strip and rebuild the whole motor for a grand or so....Have a look at Pickles, a 2012 R1200 GS, well smashed will probably go for $6-7g (I was buying bikes at auction for my business for the last 15 years) The GS will return quite a lot in spare parts. But there are always a few to chose from, you may have to wait a bit....

I have a HP2 version of the 1200 which puts out a standard 135 hp in the bike. And heaps of torque.

The standard 1200 engine with carillo rods & a bit of work in the heads to match the HP2 ........... plus a turbo, would be a cracker in an aircraft.

• 2 months later...

I Have an R90S BMW which I converted to take a Rotax Gear box. R90 puts out 67HP at around 6200(from Memory) Somewhere else on this forum there are photos but I will try to upload Fresh one. The Gearbox I used for the setup was a n 'E' Type unfortunately had split front case. and so has never been mounted to the machine I had originally intented it for.(ended up finding a hirth engine at the right price).

I set this up using the rubber donut from rotax but I believe there were issues with the vibes between the motor and the prop causing the engine cases to crack, those with whom I was able to get in contact recommended using a centrifugal clutch as it seems that the problem was caused by the engine and prop pulses at low RPM and I was assured that the clutch would solve the problem.

BMW's were designed for high speed cruising and therefore no problem with maintaining continuous high RPM.

I believe the clutch retails in the vacinity of around $1500.00 add another thousand for a decent electronic ignition and $1000.00 for new gearbox case and maybe another K or two for unseen expenses and it all starts to add up, not to mention the $1200.00 bucks for the CNC machining of the adaptor plates this does not include the time I put into the CAD drawings for the machining(prohibitive if you have to pay some one else for the CAD info)needless to say I never got further than the initial conversion as I managed to purchase an F30es Hirth with very low hours for a lot less than what I was still looking at outlaying.

My advise would be to simply purchase a unit ready to go, no more headaches and most likely a warranty

Having said this, included below is a photo af the engine and should anyone care to take on the completion of the project it could be yours for $2000.00. Engine has had full recon ie. Rings, bearings, gaskets, timing chain etc.

RickH

DSCF2281.jpg.d4fbd9d4d73fcb2564c2cfde5b325c2c.jpg

• Informative 1