Jabs new prop

Russ

reading some comments here from folks, confuses me more and more...........maybe......some jabs, cert or otherwise, can fit comp props, but not my 160c. ????

People seem to be confused and there is a reason, the J230, J170 and the 160 D are LSA and the factory certify them under the ASTM.

The J160 C is Certified by CASA.

• Informative 1

Thanks camel................last query, why 2 types of certification as you advise..........sorry mate

I believe it is the cost of certification as if any changes are made it has to be re certified e.g propellor. Under LSA changes can be made by the factory any time without incurring any major cost eg propellor.

The 160D has the newer type doors, control stick etc if it was certified it would mean more testing and paperwork. Jabiru know that these things work by their testing to get certification under CASA they have to meet strict standards and prove it.

• 7 months later...
Personally, found the Brent Thompson props to be extremely well made, he made one for my Jabiru, easy got another 5 knots, smoother running as well.

Do you know if these props are still available, the website seems to have disappeared in the last couple of days?

I'm presently experimenting with different props on my UL 450. The standard Jabiru 60 x 42 seems a bit fine as I'm easily pulling 3300 rpm on take off and cruise at just under 3000 rpm 95 knots. At the moment I've got a 56 x 44 Sweetapple fitted which is also pulling 3300 on take off but giving a better climb (around 1100 fpm solo with full tank). I also tried a Jab 60 x 44 which is going to 3300 on take off but about 200 fpm down on the Sweetapple. Laurie

Unfortunately Brent Thompson had to sell his business - he has Motor Neurone disease. The purchaser was Bill Izard, located at Kihikihi - he can be contacted via his website - www.omegapropellors.com. Brent made a lot of props for Jabs and they always performed better with one of his props. Bill has the same blanks that Brent used so anything he produces should have a similar performance.

Unfortunately Brent Thompson had to sell his business - he has Motor Neurone disease. The purchaser was Bill Izard, located at Kihikihi - he can be contacted via his website - www.omegapropellors.com. Brent made a lot of props for Jabs and they always performed better with one of his props. Bill has the same blanks that Brent used so anything he produces should have a similar performance.

Thanks for that information microman. Terrible news about Brent's illness - I lost a great flying mate to that disease a couple of years ago. Laurie

Very sorry to hear that, microman. We met Brent a couple of years back and he showed us through his workshop. Real nice bloke, with an enviable reputation.

I wouldn't be to quick to right omega off.

one example of crappy looking prop

I had a prop made a few years ago & the prop maker had contracted a few props out to have the holes drilled ,while he moved workshops .

His drill bed wasn't square, and blunt drills , torn wood and wobbly holes,

any way , it doesn't take much to get a bad reputation once it goes viral

mike

I've seen some Thomson props and their finish is second to none. The Omega prop in the above link should never have left the maker's workshop. Very disappointing for the purchaser and the maker. Laurie

• Agree 1

I've had 2 Thompson props , shame to hear of Brett's illness , will be missed.

I hope the new owner gets it together after a rocky start , I'll give omega a go & the benefit of the doubt ,on the next prop .

mike

• Like 1

I have the new Composite Prop on my J170d and very happy. Smooth & no adverse issues

Rosco, I have been told by a 170 owner that the composite prop on a 170 makes about 5 kts better cruise speed. Have you found this? (Not much difference speed wise on the 230s)

Rosco, I have been told by a 170 owner that the composite prop on a 170 makes about 5 kts better cruise speed. Have you found this? (Not much difference speed wise on the 230s)

Hi Frank, I have a composite prop on my J160 and the difference is negligible. I like the prop though, mainly because it resists stone chips and is easy to clean.

• Like 1

Hi Frank, I have a composite prop on my J160 and the difference is negligible. I like the prop though, mainly because it resists stone chips and is easy to clean.

Frank ive been getting around 105kts in still air at 28540

Getting 105 G/S recently in still wind @ 2850 RPM so I reckon your mate is correct!

• Informative 1

Frank I think Im having Computer issues but just to reiterate, I was getting 105 G/S in still air recently at 2850 RPM