Admin

What site style do you prefer  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What site style do you prefer

• The old heavy blue one
    • This new lighter one
    • Something completely different...please comment

Guest Maj Millard

Ian, as far as the header being too high, well it seems to fit just fine on my mini Ipad which is mostly what I use these days.

As far as headers go I always liked the original outback orange deserts scene......it sort of showed what we are about , and said Australia.............Cheers Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Ian, as far as the header being too high, well it seems to fit just fine on my mini Ipad which is mostly what I use these days.As far as headers go I always liked the original outback orange deserts scene......it sort of showed what we are about , and said Australia.............Cheers Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

You mean this one less the images of Sydney City just after it and the outback trees on the right:

aust_tree.gif.6e7ad783aa1e8aebbd56017750f3e2a3.gif

Then there was this one which was shelved before it saw the light of day:

BLUE.jpg.9f3c96bed5c91355e879a925b46016ff.jpg

There was also the animated (using flash) header:

header.gif.277da27f04e3b86a52576edf1e36695c.gif

and if we go way back we had:

1723441740_Ultralight_net1.jpg.91c3177cb96541fafd8082329ac64b3e.jpg

It is coming up to 10 years this site has been going so some fond memories as we have progressed into what we have today

header_left2.gif.48d97601f43319febd86104abf2d3311.gif

I have been working on something that you may like better as it is sort of in between the old and the new (note the old grey background is back):

3.jpg.6e6c6c98e7b169c78d8b2af2d64cd686.jpg

1.jpg.2264b91b77f247ce96aa0f0532dcf88a.jpg

2.jpg.f353c8aa469afa1579ed5098e055f903.jpg

Think I preferred the bold BLUE layout, but not overly worried either way.

However, have just made a couple of posts with links, and the links look to be the same colour as the text, meaning they tend to disappear on the page.

Just saying I like links to stand out a bit..

• Agree 1

Just an update, I hope to make some changes by the weekend...I am currently undertaking 2 separate (Cert 3) courses at the moment so time is limited which is making the changes take a little longer.

Please, if you have any further comments, let me know so I can incorporate them into the style.

I am also hoping to integrate the other site "The Aussie Aviator" into this one so it has a single login system i.e. registered users of any of the sites are registered on all sites and if you log in to one you log in to them all BUT have different areas of interest that suit your needs whether it be RAAus, HGFA, recreational, microlighting, powered chutes, spotting, aviation enthusiasts, PPL, GA, Professional commercial aviation etc etc etc...BUT I must get the style right for as many of you as possible first...thanks for your help

Guest Maj Millard

Actually Ian, the new header is growing on me now...also like the idea that I have no time limit ATM to go back and edit a prev post. This should be the case as all it does is continue to improve the finished product really ......cheers Ross

also like the idea that I have no time limit ATM to go back and edit a prev post. This should be the case as all it does is continue to improve the finished product really ......cheers Ross

That's because you are now a First Class Member...one of the benefits

Guest Andys@coffs

Ian

My Scottish ancestry may well show here:-

Use which ever generates the smallest traffic size after all there are only a few paying you for access and even then it probably doesn't cover your costs.....

Look and to a lessor extent feel only last a few minutes until content is again king! so deliver content in the most cost effective way

Andy

P.S That's all assuming you don't have an "All you can eat" bandwidth plan.......

P.S That's all assuming you don't have an "All you can eat" bandwidth plan.......

No I don't Andy and the site already dishes out over 140gig a month in traffic but there is no substitute for quality...as I keep telling the wife when she looks at me getting into bed at night 044_black_eye.gif.3f644b2ef49762a47134d3ce9ca82e5d.gif

Guest Andys@coffs
No I don't Andy and the site already dishes out over 140gig a month in traffic but there is no substitute for quality...as I keep telling the wife when she looks at me getting into bed at night 044_black_eye.gif.3f644b2ef49762a47134d3ce9ca82e5d.gif

Have you looked into any of the compression software engines that compress webpages for delivery. given that html is text based it'll compress very handily, at least the non media content? I seem to recall that some of the load balancers have that functionality and some of the smaller load balancers (or application delivery controllers...is the more posh and $$$$ name) are available as VM's that could run on your hardware maybe......Not something I've looked at for a long time so I don't know if there are real savings to be made....I assume B/W in the USA is much cheaper than in Au

Andy

<EDIT Ignore I just tested and you deliver compressed via GZIP already......... back in my box>

<EDIT2 Assuming you are doing the GZIP and not the hosting company who charges for uncompressed data and then sends out compressed........>

Andy, a bit off topic to the site style but yes, I compress the data myself, I also minify css, use memcache, use Google Ajax API CDN rather than in-house and more

Ok Guys, I have finished tinkering and I think it takes everyone's thoughts into consideration...thank you so much for your help.

If you think there is anything still that you don't like then please mention it