rego number on dacron skins

silvercity

I don`t know if sign-writing material will hold on as I`ve never tried. I painted my numbers on my first two sets of skins with white screen printers ink and on the crrent set of skins I used British Paints Craft, white. This guarantees they won`t come off!

Frank.

I used stick on dacron (stickyback) from Wayne Fisher, already cut to shape. I wanted a different colour so painted them with a spray on paint from a spray can - I think Wayne said would be ok when I asked him. Also did a couple of numbers sprayed directly onto the dacron.

Both methods have been in place over 2 years now without any adverse effects. I do notice the stick on numbers are lifting just a little in a couple of places, but nowhere near looking like coming off.

Pud

On the recommendation of a sign writer I used blackboard paint. 12 years later there is no fading, cracking or deterioration of any sort. In fact, I still have the part can of un-used paint that I'd give away but I'm not sure what sequence of numbers are left in it. cheers

• Haha 1

laser cut sign-writing material vinyl no good..... I had some made about 4 weeks ago and they are now peeling off.....

Yep, I found that out the other day. First test flight on the Drifter, I look left and the front 4 inches of my number is flapping in the breeze. I'm going to outline them before removing, then paint them.

For dacron wings the best stuff to use is called "insignia cloth". You can get it in a wide range of colours from any sail maker. They use it to put rego numbers on sails and it sticks like the proverbial to bunny fur. It can be cut in the sign makers cutter although it's a bit thicker and harder than vinyl. When I had mine done, my sign maker charged me for an extra blade for his cutter (around $6-$7 from memory). This stuff does NOT peel off.

I forgot to add: you need to clean the dacron really well with something (my sign guy used a soapy spray type cleaner) before you put the stickers on. This is REALLY important.