First Aircraft

BugsyB

Is a Thruster worthwhile looking at purchasing for someone who is new to flying? Or do you recommend anything else.

My two bob's worth: They were widely used in schools, being robust and safe in the air. I was told that anyone able to keep the damned thing under control after landing would probably be able to land anything! After training in three different Thrusters I still couldn't, but I have no problems with the other tail-draggers I have flown.

Lots of people like them, so you might too- as long as you have fast feet!

Yes the Thruster is a great little aircraft, good trainer, good all rounder, easy to maintain, will take short fields really well, good in the side slip, easy on the fuel, will carry two reasonably sized pilots, great little performer. The drifter is another great first aircraft as it the bantam and xAir. The Thruster is a little noisy in the cockpit so if it dosen't have a good radio and intercom, invest in those, otherwise great aircraft.

Is a Thruster worthwhile looking at purchasing for someone who is new to flying? Or do you recommend anything else.

Go for it Bugsy.

I purchased a T500 a few years ago now(see the thread on my restoration project in the 'Thruster' section), and I'm still a low time pilot now, at 61 years of age!

It took me a while to master the Thruster with the landings being the hardest - if you ever master them. Ya gotta be dancing on the pedals until you have slowed to walking pace.

A great fun aircraft that you will enjoy every time you fly - just don't expect to go far quickly(55knots cruise at best), and the comfort leaves a lot to be desired as well. 2 hours absolute maximum in the seat for me at any one time.

I've never regretted acquiring my Thruster, although I did question myself a few times!!!

Pud

• Like 1

The Thruster is an absolutely ideal first aircraft - excellent to learn to fly in because it teaches taildragger skills. I learnt to fly in an early one and actually didn't find it that difficult to land - easier in fact than my Jodel D18, which really will swap ends if you aren't on the ball! The great thing about an aircraft like a Thruster is that you get into flying for not much money and if your circumstances change or you decide its not for you, its relatively easy to sell for about what you paid for it. They are also simple to maintain, and fairly common, so parts aren't a problem.