Fitting an FAA approved Vista Vent To A Certified Fact Built Non LSA 24 Rego

DrZoos

Hi guys

I have a factory built Alpi Pioneer 300 which is a certified aircraft.

Its a 24 rego and registered with RAAus as a factory built Non LSA

I want to fit these vista vents (by an L2) which are FAA approved and in the usa do not require an STC

see : http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/vistavents.php

Go to the Q&A tab under the picture

Is this the case in Australia , can i fit these without an STC because they are FAA approved ??

PS it must remain full 24 certified as i want to be able to go into CTA and i want to be able to put the aircraft online

If it's not an LSA doesn't that make it certified with a CASA issued CofA? In which case no mods are allowed without a CAR35 (or whatever they are now) engineer signing off on it. My J160C is that boat.

• 1 month later...

My manufacturer approved them, but im so far not game to drill the perspex as we havent found a decent way to the vibration. So right now im exploring bigger tubing from the duct to the outlets and bigger outlet.

I will keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

There are special drills available for driling perspex, or you can resharpen them yourself. I forget the angle to grind to.

I gave used a 3.5mm router bit in the router to cut holes for the circular vents in my Corby canopy. You could probably use a dremel tool, I will see if I can find a scrap piece to try it out on.

• Caution 1

Have you considered glueing it? Drill the holes before cutting the hole for the vent if you go that way. Reduce the bottom rake angle on the bit to almost nothing. ( same as you would for any thin sheet even though the Perspex is not that thin). Nev

When drilling perspex use a dull drill bit. A sharp one will bite in a crack it. If you don't have one I am sure I have a box full.

A blunt drill in effect melts its way through the acrylic. Use a steady hand and don't force it. A dremel grinding bit is a pretty safe way to cut out a section.