Sunrise 2014

JG3

Here's a photo seen from my first flight on New Year morning.

From 6,700 ft near Cape Byron, easternmost point of Australia.

So I was probably the first person in the country to see the sun in 2014.

Wishing all of you clear skies and tailwinds for the coming year.

JG

• Like 13

JG, you must get a life! Fancy being up at 6,700 ft at daybreak on New Year's day when the rest of us are recovering from the night before. It's just not on!!

rgmwa

Congrats JG on an excellent plan and it's very successful carry thru. Did the double sunset (as baggage) a few years back with 4 up in a restored C170. The poor old girl worked real hard to get the second one in. A unique experience and, having only a pilot's cert, I doubt that I'll ever get a second shot at it. cheers

Good way to start the new year. Better than my way of sitting with a broken leg, can't fly anything for a while.

You may have been the first to see the sunrise, but you could have been beaten to it by another location in Australia. It is an incorrect notion that the most Easterly point sees the sun first.

Good way to start the new year. Better than my way of sitting with a broken leg, can't fly anything for a while.You may have been the first to see the sunrise, but you could have been beaten to it by another location in Australia. It is an incorrect notion that the most Easterly point sees the sun first.

True, latitude makes a difference, about 13 minutes at Tasmania, but someone does have to be up there. I did my 2011 sunrise flight above the Freycinet Peninsula, Tasmania, that's about as early as you can get.

JG

• Like 1

Ok, I'll bite:If you are RAA, how are you supposed to get a photo of SUNRISE?

On New Years morning official first light was 5:24, sunrise was 5:51 NSW time.

I took off at 5:30. As I understand it, we are allowed to fly at first light.

Easy to climb to altitude in that time.

JG