went for class 2 today...

ayavner

Yep, two years is normal issue, one year is because they want to reassess you in 12 months and they will probably put you through all the same tests again next year and make it so expensive to keep your class 2 that you will think again. How can you not become cynical with this kind of treatment.

Did they put any restrictions on your medical like "Renew by CASA only" or "As or with co-pilot"?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no doesn't look like any restrictions other than i have to provide all the sleep study stuff with my next medical... i'll look it over more closely, but didn't see anything like that. Do you think it would be worth calling them to at least clarify? I mean i am completely fit, other than being stupid enough to tick the box about having occasional trouble sleeping...

Ayavner wrote "other than being stupid enough to tick the box about having occasional trouble sleeping..."

There in lies the problem. Not having the medical issue but telling CASA you have it.

Ayavner wrote "other than being stupid enough to tick the box about having occasional trouble sleeping..."There in lies the problem. Not having the medical issue but telling CASA you have it.

You would think your DAME would have quizzed you on your response and given you appropriate advice.

Nahh, its all about arse-covering, and I get that. I agree with a lot of what has been said already that the system is designed to make you not want to report things that really should be reported... its a shame really, but there you are. I don't know that the advice was bad per-se, just don't know really that it HAD to take this long or so much info required.... for a class 2....

if i say i have the problem, i guess they are bound to follow it through. Just glad to have it behind me!

I don't want to be cynical buddy, but if they have only issued a one year class 2 it isn't all behind you. You need to get them to advise you when you can go back to a two year normal medical.

Fair enough... its behind me to the extent that i can now start back on my PPL training but yeah agreed I do need to clarify that with them... if i am going to have to do this every year, may as well do a class 1. I'll give em a ring Monday, i want to have a look when i get home and make sure none of those other restrictions or whatever are on there.

you're not being cynical - nothing wrong with being realistic!

• Like 1

Yes .. and I have. You can appeal any decision AVMed make and they send you the appeal process with their decision. You should study the DAME medical conditions document you can download from the CASA website first though and see if you have any grounds for an appeal. Class 2 is appealable the RPL medical is not.

Yes .. and I have. You can appeal any decision AVMed make and they send you the appeal process with their decision. You should study the DAME medical conditions document you can download from the CASA website first though and see if you have any grounds for an appeal. Class 2 is appealable the RPL medical is not.

You can appeal an RPL fail by your GP by an application to CASA for a Class 2 Medical.

Smart Aleck ... if you fail an RPL medical you fail. One option you have if you fail an RPL is to apply for a class 2 and then use the class 2 appeal process which at worst could be an 'as or with co-pilot' restriction on your medical ... is that clearer fo you ol fella ... LOL

I don't see anything to say you can't go to another GP for a second assessment. Paperwork from a failed medical does not go to CASA. Worth considering if you don't believe the GP was correct with the first fail.

• Like 2

Smart Aleck ... if you fail an RPL medical you fail. One option you have if you fail an RPL is to apply for a class 2 and then use the class 2 appeal process which at worst could be an 'as or with co-pilot' restriction on your medical ... is that clearer fo you ol fella ... LOL

Of course it is an appeal - to those gods of many things, DAMAs and CASA.

Enough David, we are now castrating mosquitoes.

Congrats AyAvner, see you down at the big parking lot some day.

Who are you doing your PPL with?

I quite enjoyed picking up a Jab at The Oaks and flying over to do circuits on asphalt with the big boys - ah the power of a CTA endo!

• Like 1

From what I am told it is a tick box thing DJP. Tick any of the boxes for certain conditions and its over. If you have had it or got it there is no debate. But I was told by a DAME recently that there is some scope for 'discussion' with the GP. But that is not an appeal process, just a medical opinion by someone other than CASA.

From what I am told it is a tick box thing DJP. Tick any of the boxes for certain conditions and its over. If you have had it or got it there is no debate. But I was told by a DAME recently that there is some scope for 'discussion' with the GP. But that is not an appeal process, just a medical opinion by someone other than CASA.

The system is making cheats out of honest pilots. Pretty soon there's going to be a new 'race' of superpilots who are teetotallers, never smoked, night sleep like babies, take no drugs, never have 'nananaps', have BMI's <22, have x-ray vision and are fitter than they were at 21. In their 60's and 70's? Yeah....right! Admission of anything at all can lead down pathways you cannot know.

happy days,

• Agree 6

Pretty soon there's going to be a new 'race' of superpilots who are teetotallers, never smoked, night sleep like babies, take no drugs, never have 'nananaps', have BMI's <22, have x-ray vision and are fitter than they were at 21....

Oh we are already here. 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Supergnu

• Haha 3

From what I am told it is a tick box thing DJP.....

yes, but doctors have been known to differ.And people sometimes say the wrong thing. Eg the question about how many drinks per week. Hey, a young lad has just been to Bali on holiday and answers the questions truthfully may have a different outcome than the same person answering the same questions truthfully after a month back home and back to work.

• Agree 1

Hi Ayavner, sorry to have accidentally hijacked your thread. All the best with your PPL, hope AvMed are easier to deal with for your renewal.

David, djp etc. thankyou for the advice and discussion, I'll have to put an appeal in, and see if that works. :)

Flying Librarian

haha thanks guys, enjoying the lively discussions anyway! Col, I'll be doing my conversion over at Schofields - now I just have to apply for my ASIC and SPL, and start getting scheduled for the flying. I have more than enough hours dual/solo/xc but will need the instrument hours, 2 I believe. After that, its just however long it takes to get up to standard on a new (to me) plane - think I'm gonna go with the Warrior II. And of course the written test.

Agree that it is just a box tick thing, it'd be smarter to anticipate the "intent" of the question rather than the literal meaning of it...

maybe for fun I'll post a thread on applying for ASIC, can only imagine what fun that is going to be....

haha thanks guys, enjoying the lively discussions anyway! Col, I'll be doing my conversion over at Schofields - now I just have to apply for my ASIC and SPL, and start getting scheduled for the flying. I have more than enough hours dual/solo/xc but will need the instrument hours, 2 I believe. After that, its just however long it takes to get up to standard on a new (to me) plane - think I'm gonna go with the Warrior II. And of course the written test.Agree that it is just a box tick thing, it'd be smarter to anticipate the "intent" of the question rather than the literal meaning of it...

maybe for fun I'll post a thread on applying for ASIC, can only imagine what fun that is going to be....

don't you already have an RAA ASIC since you are already flying at Bankstown and the Gong? All ASIC are the same except you need to have an (or be applying for)a CASA licence. Ther RAA ASIC is still cheaper, I think.