Safety - Scanning the Skies for other planes

Mark11

I couple of weeks ago, I spent two hours in the air flying up and down the coast around Wollongong.

That just happens to be a very busy travel path.

Whilst there, I must have seen 15 or more planes, microlights and helicopters - both above and below me - coming from ahead and behind.

I made radio calls everytime I changed course from North to South with my altitude so that other planes were aware of my position.

Some of these are hard to spot... can you see the plane?485586967_WollongongFlying12Jan2014094.JPG.428d539eb2a83d7aa75c924db158cc9a.JPG

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couple of weeks ago, I spent two hours in the air flying up and down the coast around Wollongong.That just happens to be a very busy travel path.

Whilst there, I must have seen 15 or more planes, microlights and helicopters - both above and below me - coming from ahead and behind.

I made radio calls everytime I changed course from North to South with my altitude so that other planes were aware of my position.

Some of these are hard to spot... can you see the plane?[ATTACH=full]27123[/ATTACH]

Upper right hand corner, flying parallel to highway. heading towards bridge???

Bottom right hand corner looks like part of the headland looks like a Jabiru but might just be the headland, that is my guess as I cannot see anything else in the picture

No thats not a plane...

I know what you mean - I was out at Wollongong on Monday going up and down the coast - I was on the ocean side of Lake Illawara heading south towards Kiama at 2500 feet when suddenly directly ahead I see an aerobatic plane of some sort shooting up nearly vertically in front of me (albeit some distance away), followed by some neat maneuvres, after which point I lost him. I just made a radio call with my position and that I could see him, and he responded that he had me sighted so all was well.

i still turned around and went back the other way, to give him his space. It is fun to be up there and see another plane, but can be scary at times too when you see them suddenly and wonder then how long had you been unaware. i think my situational awareness is probably better than average for my experience level, but those little buggers can zoom by in the time it takes to set your QNH!!

Is it at the tip of that little inlet?

I know what you mean - I was out at Wollongong on Monday going up and down the coast - I was on the ocean side of Lake Illawara heading south towards Kiama at 2500 feet when suddenly directly ahead I see an aerobatic plane of some sort shooting up nearly vertically in front of me (albeit some distance away), followed by some neat maneuvres, after which point I lost him. I just made a radio call with my position and that I could see him, and he responded that he had me sighted so all was well. i still turned around and went back the other way, to give him his space. It is fun to be up there and see another plane, but can be scary at times too when you see them suddenly and wonder then how long had you been unaware. i think my situational awareness is probably better than average for my experience level, but those little buggers can zoom by in the time it takes to set your QNH!!

Is it at the tip of that little inlet?

See Post #11 & #12 - it is mid photo halfway in the inlet

Hi Mark. Looked like a nice day for it:). Nice days bring out all the weekend worriers, so extra vigilance is needed. Ywol is one of those strips that really does require your full attention.

The mix of traffic there makes it an interesting place to say the least. One thing i think that can improve things is to join from the deadside. The jump plane will join any leg, from any height, the training planes from NSW air like to do 747 circuits, and it seems to be the norm to just rock in where ever you feel its cool. Keep it high and get to the deadside and pick up the traffic from there. Makes for a safer, more relaxed approach:)

Thanx for the pics..

Hi Mark. Looked like a nice day for it:). Nice days bring out all the weekend worriers, so extra vigilance is needed. Ywol is one of those strips that really does require your full attention.The mix of traffic there makes it an interesting place to say the least. One thing i think that can improve things is to join from the deadside. The jump plane will join any leg, from any height, the training planes from NSW air like to do 747 circuits, and it seems to be the norm to just rock in where ever you feel its cool. Keep it high and get to the deadside and pick up the traffic from there. Makes for a safer, more relaxed approach:)

Thanx for the pics..

I've only just been 'let loose' so I'm new to returning to join the circuit after a coastal jaunt.

Last flight, I kept to 2000ft when approaching from the East (to stay above circuit aircraft at 1500ft and 1000ft) and then dropped in mid downwind.

I could overfly the airfield and join via the dead side as well. I'll do that this weekend.

CASA have some good (for CASA) publications on circuit arrivals etc. Also CAAP 166 refers heavily to the procedures that should be followed.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/caaps/ops/166-1.pdf

Please note on page 16 in big red text.

Pilots should not descend into the active side of the traffic circuit from

above because of the difficulty of seeing – and being seen by – aircraft

directly below the aircraft’s flight path (see Appendix 1 for a more

detailed diagram of the traffic circuit and overfly procedure).

What do you guys do when flying coastal. Do you stay over land heading south (on east coast) and then water north ??? As per following a feature stay right of the feature ???

It seems to me that nearly everyone flys over water when coastal ??? Interested to hear your thoughts on that.

Its not real busy here coastal, but i have a few upcoming trips towards Sydney and GC

CASA have some good (for CASA) publications on circuit arrivals etc. Also CAAP 166 refers heavily to the procedures that should be followed.http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/caaps/ops/166-1.pdf

Please note on page 16 in big red text.

Pilots should not descend into the active side of the traffic circuit from

above because of the difficulty of seeing – and being seen by – aircraft

directly below the aircraft’s flight path (see Appendix 1 for a more

detailed diagram of the traffic circuit and overfly procedure).

Thanks - very helpful - Especially Appendix 1