New lightwing back to their roots good thing

Doug Evans

I like the way that Howie is heading think it a step In the right direction .

Howie has a fantastic product in his early lightwing GR / GA aircraft it a proven craft 29 years in flight with only 3 CAO that I am aware off a proven aircraft that is a safe and strong design many are still flying with the little two stroke engine and even teaching many pilot the true meaning of flight tail wheel & trike configuration are still getting around Australian sky's today .

I personally have owned two of the GR versions 25 0032 & 25 0229 .. Love them .image.jpg.7950851bd6a700f8c52cafd25cb0d32d.jpg

image.jpg.323b851621269ea6aceaa8e431dc956a.jpg

• Like 2

Nice to put a name and face together. I will own a GR one day, although I reckon the VW one in WA has my name on it............

Only 1 small item, put the throttle quadrant above the bar, please Howie?

Cheers

Kevin

• Agree 1

Nice to put a name and face together. I will own a GR one day, although I reckon the VW one in WA has my name on it............Only 1 small item, put the throttle quadrant above the bar, please Howie?

Cheers

Kevin

A person would go a long way to find a GA55 in more presentable & better condition than the Lightwing you mentioned. I know the man and I've pored over the aircraft - it's a peach!

• 2 weeks later...

Go Howie....

Wish I'd known the new GR was in development (my grape-vine is not working..)

The LightWing has always needed the 912'S', just hope the new one doesn't gain too much weight and lose the benefit of the larger engine.

A suggestion would be to slope the floor and seat tracks a bit to make the seats go UP as they go FORWARD, to help all the short ar$$e$ see over the dash without being perched on cushions 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Also, PLEASE Howie, PLEASE, give us the option of running a range of propellors, I know the technical people say that two blade is best, but they never tell you that the laws of physics state that no matter what you do, a two blade will ALWAYS vibrate more than a three blade.

We would like the option, even if it's only a Bolly (prefer Warps myself, these are now being certified for LSA in the states)

Like the bigger looking doors....

Arthur, LightWing pilot/instructor in;

25-0033

25-0081

25-0158

25-0223

25-0437

and flown;

25-0321

25-0429

25-0692

55-3005.

As a matter of interest, are all the early frames the same size in the cockpit area?

Don't know specifically but if you tell me the dimensional areas you're interested in, I can give you comparison figures after next weekend. Have both a 912GR and an earlier (slightly 'hair-lipped'), GA55 fuselage (shorter wings w/ VW eng) in the hangar that I'll be measuring up come Fri. Riley

Riley,

It was the VW one that I was doing my due diligence on....... unfortunately I won't be able to get to Perth until my daughter graduates- mid December........

I fit in the Lightwings generally (tried on a couple of 912's), just that damned throttle is an issue!

Cheers

Kevin

Yes I beleave the new airframe will be larger I am very keen on the new lightwing it may have a mtow 600 kg which is a needed upgrade I feel that the old lightwing is the best ultralight that is on the market it fits the ultralight cat of rag and tube the new airframe will lift the weight limit up but hopefully retain the flight cararictics of the original great stall good travel range and one of the safe aircraft on the market today I also would like to see it use a range of prop s Retain the tail wheel Howie it's a proven winner no training wheel needed :-)

The seat slide is a great improvement .

Keep the centre stick control .

Use the slide throttle on both sides,

Better sealing doors

Long range tanks

Adjustable trim wheel

Side & map pockets

12 v power jacks for iPad & phone chargers , one in dash the other in storage compartment'

Small pocket for a plb & rego & licence doc .

Sorry I getting carried away now just my two bob worth

• Like 1

Riley,It was the VW one that I was doing my due diligence on....... unfortunately I won't be able to get to Perth until my daughter graduates- mid December........

I fit in the Lightwings generally (tried on a couple of 912's), just that damned throttle is an issue!

Cheers

Kevin

As promised, here-in the dimensions of the seating area/personal space in the 1st class section of a Lightwing GA55 (with seat positioned in furthest adjustment from firewall):

- rudder pedals to front of seat cushion (under knee) = 600mm

- rudder pedals to back of seat cushion (base of spine) = 940mm

- rudder pedals to top of seat back = 1210mm

- stick (in neutral position) to middle seat back = 670mm

- centre of instrument panel to top of seat back = 800mm

- door openings width = 1000mm height = 780mm

- seat cushion to top of cabin = 1040mm

- seat cushion to O'head diagonal brace = 900mm

- cabin width at hip and shoulder = 940mm

Hopefully this will be enough info to further confuse you as to whether Big Kev is too big to travel first class in a Lightwing. Incidently, I know the little GA55 Lightwing that's for sale at Serpentine and it's an absolute credit to both the builder and the current vendor. cheers Riley

PS. what's the issue with the 'damned' throttle?

The GR's I've tried have the quadrant mounted below the lower panel bar, and are right where my left knee would comfortably be........ otherwise, they're pretty much perfect.

Got out to Sportaviation at Tocumwal on the w/e, tried on the Eurofox....... fitted even better than a Lightwing, but there's a fair few dollars in them. Will be good to train on, though.

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...