Which Trike to buy

Does anyone know where I can get a ride in a trike around Brisbane? I have a couple of weeks holiday in October and we're heading for Maroochydore, so I was hoping to find someone who could take me up. All these photos of people flying trikes looks too much fun to be true :)

Mike, I used to glide at Boonah ages ago. It was in the 2 seat K7 K13 and the old T53 back then. I did my solo at DDSC, but haven't glid for a while. Is that a DG-300 you've got there?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the pic of the DTA trike flying over water. I have a picture that I cannot post here, because it is only in my head. When I was learning gliding, I was in the front seat and the instructor in the back. We did spin recovery. Well the image of my feet, then 3000 feet of air then the brown australian scenery spinning around my feet will be a memory I will take to my grave. Marvellous stuff!

Is a new pilot to trikes, but with 3 axis experience, suitable to learn on and fly something like an XT 912 with the latest Streak wing, or do you need to work your way up to that higher performance wing?

Guest Andys@coffs
Is a new pilot to trikes, but with 3 axis experience, suitable to learn on and fly something like an XT 912 with the latest Streak wing, or do you need to work your way up to that higher performance wing?

That higher performance wing you are talking of will just about go 1/2 as fast as what you fly now. So don't be too scared of the aircraft being way ahead of your reactions. That will always be the case to start with, however I suspect you'll catch up quickly.

Given that the Airborne wings all stall at about the same speed, and the streak 3 just has a much greater range of useful speeds I personally wouldn't go for anything less now. The other thing to consider is the streak 3 will handle turbulence better than the wizard, or cruze. I don't think there are that many instructors left that choose to train in the slower wings anymore.

Andy

Mike,

But is getting rid of that front brace worth the $20 large more than the airborne equivelint.Just how much would a DTA Voyager cost ready to fly in WA with all the fruit you outlined above?

Nope - whilst not having a front strut is a real pleasure, the reason for purchasing the trike was due to my wife also having a passion for the experience wishing to have a seat that you can be comfortable in - she sits up easily in the DTA as it has good separation between the pilot and passenger.

It would be hard to regard the Airborne and the DTA as equivalents as they are so different in design, wing pattern and structure with largely different uses in mind. The Airborne is a much more compact unit with sleek lines (if you are allowed to say that about trikes) whereas the DTA is quite roomy and resembles a tractor. The DTA was originally designed for industrial work in Europe as an agricultural tool or security vehicle - hence the fairly robust design. I have actually seen a unit with a full ag spray-boom setup and 250litre tank in place of the rear seat. Realistically, I would say that after all us said and done regarding extra's for expeditions and dual controls there is only about $5k in it - and that is comparing a 912 Airborne to a 912S DTA.

By the way, Olivier (Aubert) took that picture whilst trekking along the Andes in South America in 1999 on his epic trip from the tip of South America to the tip of South Africa on the South to South Voyage.

Drop me a pm or mail at [email protected] should you wish to get more info on the DTA's. If you are up here (Townsville) at any time, come and hop on for a ride?

Regards

Perry