Which Trike to buy

Guest Andys@coffs

Ian

I think thats right. A quick phone call to Airborne should solve that question.

Though there is another that you need to consider? If you buy it from your instructor, where is the Aircraft delivered, usually from what I've seen most instructors have appropriate trailers and relish the opportunity to go to Redhead, Newcastle to look at what is happening with new developments etc and in the end delivery is to you at the instructors location.

If you purchased direct from Airborne it would be at the factory and getting it home is then up to you, though I believe Ive heard of machines being delivered by Airborne at Maitland Airport as that is where the factory instructors are based. A fligh by trike from Maitland to Melbourne would be a "big", but not impossible, 1st trip for a trike.

Andy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Juliette Lima

HI ian.

Did you fly from the front or rear seat of Sonnys Drifter? The difference is considerable.

If you are ever in Cessnock you are welcome to fly the 912 Drifter...Its magic.

Cheers

JL

Andy, I am sure that if I were to buy an Airborne trike that there would be one or two guys around that would like to make a trip up there with me and back again ;) - would be a great time to break it in but if I were to go for Airborne they are going to have to sharpen their pencil a bit on the price 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

JL - I sat in the back of the drifter as all the gauges were in the front - not even an air speed indicator in the rear, so being safety conscious as I am (the real reason was what I had been told about Sonny's adventures ;) - that's a joke Sonny!) I thought it would be prudent to sit in the back.

I believe there are only two places around here to learn to fly a Trike - Point Cook and Bright. Point Cook I could drive there but can get really windy at times and Bright I would fly the CT there on the Sat morning, get some lessons in, stay the Sat night, get some time in on the Sun morning and come back in the CT on the Sunday afternoon.

At Narromine, someone gave me a DVD of the South African coast to coast trip etc (I am really sorry but it was really busy and I can't recall who it was) but it was when I watched it that I decided to start looking into Trikes - I liked it when they took the wing off and drove the trike into town to fuel up 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

Ian

Ive seen that video, coast to coast I think made by the Frenchman that our RAA president accompanied on his SA- NT flight just recently, Olivier something or other. There is a whole heap of other videos in that series.

When I next see you I'll lend you my copy of the one that goes from South America, up to North America into Alaska and then over to the UK. It's also interesting, but so much distance crammed into a short video means nothing gets dealt with in any detail.

Using the base without the wing is something I ve seen a few do, for me I always thought that the mass of the wing and the fact that it was a wing added a significant degree of stability to the whole trike, without the wing I could see that the base could easily get into an unstable position and perhaps end up on its side.

When I was 1st in the RAAF I spent 3 years at Laverton, watching CT4's fly over at nights. Pt Cook/ Laverton is definately windy,and we are going into the windy part of the year, Autumn is the best time for triking (from a wind perspective). Most triking is done between 7am and 10am when the wind is usually lower than latter in the day.

As I undrstand it, Pt Cook = Airborne, not sure if Bright also = Airborne. I like the plan, but wonder where family fits into that weekend, short term prob Ok, longer term = conflict I suspect, or at least it would in my family

Andy

Trikes abd Video

Ian, the Coast to Coast video was of Mike Blyth (South African) and Olivier Aubert (Swiss), they also flew from Argentina back to SA together, that was via the States, and across the North atlantic and via Europe, Mike flew a Aerotrike Cobra 912 and Olivier a DTA 912s. They have done many expeditions together. Cape to Cape I think also.

Mike is the Chairman of Misasa (similar to your RAAus) and has just competed in the Czech republic (also with a DTA) in the world championships for South Africa. I will ask Mike to post when he gets back.

They use some serious kit on those trips compared to normal trikes.

Cheers Paul

Ian,

There's also the Lore of Flight (RAAus) Trike School at Yarrawonga, though it's probably a bit more of a hike from Melbourne for you. But the weather there is probably better for triking than most other places as it is so flat out there and shielded from most south-westerlies by the range.

Rgds,

Glen

Just rang Airborne and they have advised that I could get into a new XT before Christmas - I think I may be writing out a cheque this week ;) so if anyone knows of other Trike dealers that want to talk price on one of their new trikes then let them know they should give me a ring urgently before I write the cheque out to Airborne.

I am told the XT912 with the Streak Wing is the best for two reasons:

1. Cost of ownership in respect of maintenance, resale, distance travelled etc

2. Can handle the weather better thus providing more possible flying hours

Guest Crezzi
I am told the XT912 with the Streak Wing is the best for two reasons:

1. Cost of ownership in respect of maintenance, resale, distance travelled etc

2. Can handle the weather better thus providing more possible flying hours

I'm surprised you have been advised the cost of ownership would be less for a Streak3 than Cruise - I can't see why there would be any difference personally ?

IMO there isn't that much difference between the 2 wings in terms of rough air handling. The S3 might cut through a bit more but the Cruise needs less physical input.

Cheers

John

What happened to the idea of get endorsed first then Ian ;-)

An ulterior motive at the moment Crezzi but hopefully more on that later if something that I am working on comes off ;)

While Ian has many virtues, patience isn't one of them keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - I haven't told Corrine yet but the way that works is that I tell her after I pay the deposit and say that I would lose my deposit if she says no, besides I find it is always easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission ;) (and it is more fun making up)

• Like 1

Then I will and Crezzi probably should, take it as a compliment to our descriptive skills. The XT is a more relaxed ride than the Classic, lower engine note, less physical and smoother ride.

Only thing that's bugged me since getting the XTS-912 has been the weather. Our strip limits our flying opportunities a bit compared to an airport and we tend to err on the side of caution.

Cheers,

Glen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mike CMB

Hi guys,

I am new to trikes only started learning last weekend. Although have been flying gliders since aged 12 now 49 and have a few hours up. Also did some hang gliding way back when it was just starting off.

My main reason for getting a trike is so that my wife can come with me. She has spent too many days sitting around strips waiting for me to come back.

Surprisingly enough she also wants to learn amd had quite a good go at it first up.

We both want a trike that will be good for cross country we like the idea of following the coastline around WA landing on beaches etc.

So far I think the 912 xt with a streak wing is the go. Although the one Perry owns sounds good as well didnt actualy find what brand his is in the post above.

What I wonder about though is how well the xt912 will handel beach landings /takeoffs. Do the spats fill up with sand etc etc.

Would an outback 912 with the tudra whels and streak wing be a better option .

Or does the difference between the two become negligable with experience .

By the way I found no problems going from 3 axis to weight shift it felt natural to me.

MIKE:)

Hi Mike,

If you're intending to do a lot of beach landings and base your flight plans on them I'd recommend the Tundra wheels as you can't safely land on soft sand with the standard wheels, you need well compacted sand for that.

Then depending on the length of your beaches over there you might want to look at the Cruze wing option. However if your beaches are all miles long with no humps you should have no issues with the Streak-3.

Rgds,

Glen

Mike,

You sound just like what my wife and I had in mind a number of years ago - and wow the togetherness in a trike is just magic.

The trike we fly is a DTA Voyageur II with a Rotax 912ULSFR (European version of the 912ULS).

We did not need any changes to the wheels as they are 6" aero wheels and we have found soft landing and takeoff on a beach to be a doddle. Apart from the wheels, the wing design is such that we are able to lift the weight of the pod at around 30kts and consider safe takeoff at 35/40kts - this allows one to get going quite quickly in comparison to the faster wings.

Interestingly, the choice of trike (and additional expense) was largely due to my wife's insistence that we find a unit that provides better comfort and posture for the passenger for the more lengthy cross country flights. Boy she is happy!

I know I always get a beating on price, but my 912S trike came fully kitted out for training with full instruments. passenger foot throttle, brake, remote mags, training bars, removable panniers including belly bag, radio, intercom, refueling kit, landing lights, antenna, oil and water thermostat, covers, speed eletric trim...complete fly away for around $20k more than the bare XT prior to installing any add-ons. The 912 version probably only comes in around $5k above the XT after all the extras are taken care of. The DTA Voyageur is more expensive, no doubt.

As discussed earlier it is a matter of your purpose and needs as well as aesthetics and build that will hopefully sway you in your preferred direction.

Sites for looking at the gear in more detail are:

http://www.montpelier-microlights.com.au/

http://www.adventuresportaircraft.com/index.html

http://www.dta.fr/

Have a gander - they may catch your eye as an alternative option?

Regards

Perry

Guest Andys@coffs
I know I always get a beating on price, but my 912S trike came fully kitted out for training with full instruments.

Perry, don't think I'm beating up on you over the price, you control the price no more or less than I do. In reality I believe that the prices of trikes are no longer commensurate with what I believe they were designed for, that being simple aircraft that almost anyone can afford to fly in. Personally Id be scared sh&tless of landing a $70k plus trike on sand. the size of the wheels is irrelevant if the hard sand you've chosen turns out to be powder soft. Now I understand that is equally true of a $20k trike, its just that I'd have less at risk in the latter.

I personally find it hard to look at a new composite based Jabiru, and a new DTA or XT (yeah I know the XT is cheaper... just not cheap enough!)side by side, and consider them both to be worth the same amount of cash from me. I understand its a personal thing. Maybe I'm just a Scrooge. Maybe on rethinking it, in your case 2 people get the enjoyment and because I fly only 1 up most of the time the $ per person isn't that much different.

Anyway enough said. If it rows your boat then good for you.

Andy

Guest Mike CMB
Mike,You sound just like what my wife and I had in mind a number of years ago - and wow the togetherness in a trike is just magic.

The trike we fly is a DTA Voyageur II with a Rotax 912ULSFR (European version of the 912ULS).

We did not need any changes to the wheels as they are 6" aero wheels and we have found soft landing and takeoff on a beach to be a doddle. Apart from the wheels, the wing design is such that we are able to lift the weight of the pod at around 30kts and consider safe takeoff at 35/40kts - this allows one to get going quite quickly in comparison to the faster wings.

Interestingly, the choice of trike (and additional expense) was largely due to my wife's insistence that we find a unit that provides better comfort and posture for the passenger for the more lengthy cross country flights. Boy she is happy!

I know I always get a beating on price, but my 912S trike came fully kitted out for training with full instruments. passenger foot throttle, brake, remote mags, training bars, removable panniers including belly bag, radio, intercom, refueling kit, landing lights, antenna, oil and water thermostat, covers, speed eletric trim...complete fly away for around $20k more than the bare XT prior to installing any add-ons. The 912 version probably only comes in around $5k above the XT after all the extras are taken care of. The DTA Voyageur is more expensive, no doubt.

As discussed earlier it is a matter of your purpose and needs as well as aesthetics and build that will hopefully sway you in your preferred direction.

Sites for looking at the gear in more detail are:

http://www.montpelier-microlights.com.au/

http://www.adventuresportaircraft.com/index.html

http://www.dta.fr/

Have a gander - they may catch your eye as an alternative option?

Regards

Perry

Very impressive Perry especialy this pic!

But is getting rid of that front brace worth the $20 large more than the airborne equivelint.

Just how much would a DTA Voyager cost ready to fly in WA with all the fruit you outlined above?

While I am posting pics heres a couple of Quebec Mike at Boonah a few years back.

MIKE

Guest MundooTriker

Hello Andy,

I know I'm jumping back a few posts but I'm with you on trikes. They seem to be getting beyond a simple, cost effective aircraft. If you are going to spend the money for extra performance, I find I have to justify why I don't go to 3 axis as it appears you get more bang for bucks. Look at the price jump from say a Redback to a Classic. A lot of $ / knots ratio. Thats why I started looking overseas. . . . .

I think it has to do with quantity of Weightshift market to the 3 axis. But as for price Australia seems pretty limited.

Andrew