Pilot shortage to drive industry into the ground

fatmal

FT Super is already taxed at 15% on entry, 15% on earnings and then taxed when spent at 10% for the GST so its not such a smart idea. Many of the wealthy already have the majority of investments outside super because it has major flaws and risks. You cant access it early and if your wealthy you want to retire or at least be able to choose to early, and Super has a huge regulatory risk of some greedy govt saying lets tax super or lets change the rules. So you will find that the wealthy already avoid super to a large extent and by taxing super you will again punish the working poor more then anyone else. Thats why John Howard made super much better for all and his intention was to entice a lot of money into super where it could be controlled and taxed accordingly. But the rich still avoided it largely because they knew a change of govt would quickly bring a change of rules and like clockwork it did. Some working class baby boomers took advantage of it, but they where not what you would call rich . The rich kept their investments in complex tax structures and businesses and they will continue to keep it where the govt doesnt understand the structures, let alone know how to make rules to tax them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct, it is unsustainable and can only end badly. Instead of addressing the cause of the problems we have governments going further and further into debt trying to prop the whole sorry mess up. In the late 70s I worked for GMH in Adelaide, you got into strife if you did more than a certain amount of work on a shift and I was told to go and sit in the dunny and do nothing. I was more content being busy but the union would have none of that, for them it was a matter of do less and demand more pay. It has taken years and a lot of taxpayer hand outs but now we have the inevitable result, and the workers did it to themselves, if they want blame some one they should look in the mirror. Thanks to greed and laziness Australia is not going to end up still being the lucky country.

Roosevelt's New Deal has a lot to answer for, especially in the field of short-term greed over enlightened self interest - my grandfather worked for Holden; in the late '50s (I think), he was tasked with reblending the paint on the doors so it faded within 24 months and started to flake off within 36... he left in disgust. Shakespear had too narrow a vision; we need to croak accountants as well...

• Informative 1

Right o so lets get this straight. We need to top off politicians, accountants, lawyers, public servants....CASA, RAAus unions, Holden workers, who else ??

Hmmm, don't agree on the public service - we need free filing of Applications under the Adminstrative Decisions Judicial Review Act 1988, then the PS can run the country and we can step on their necks any time they abuse their discretionary authority. Once that's done, mince the pollies, accountants, those with degrees in Management:yelrotflmao:, and lawers. The RAAus board needs to learn about the ADJRA, too...065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

• Like 1

Zoos I am shocked that you are even considering the idea of taxing the rich. The basic tenet of any conservative party is that taxing people is punishing them for being successful and taxing the rich is the worse possible outcome for a country because you are punishing the most successful. In a free market a rich person can buy a politician and acquire the privilege to not pay tax, that's how free markets work best: satisfying a demand.

Zoos I am shocked that you are even considering the idea of taxing the rich. The basic tenet of any conservative party is that taxing people is punishing them for being successful and taxing the rich is the worse possible outcome for a country because you are punishing the most successful. In a free market a rich person can buy a politician and acquire the privilege to not pay tax, that's how free markets work best: satisfying a demand.

As several (thousand) people have found, there are cheaper ways than buying politicians... I feel we should strive to avoid that path...

The big multinationals and similar groups of influence (dare I say churches? who incidently pay no tax) already get most of what they want done in most countries economically and you don't get a say in what they do except on rare occasions and they are working on that problem. Nev

• Agree 2

The LNP argument is that a company like Apple or Google provides goods and services that the community wants, forcing them to pay tax might trigger them departing our economy. Joe Hockey summed it up best "in order for the rich to maintain their privilege the rest of us have to take a hit."