Pilot shortage to drive industry into the ground

fatmal

The costs of aviation in the US means that more pilots are leaving the industry than are joining. The linked article below explains how this, in conjunction with an expected increased demand, will lead to a shortage of pilots.

I do take issue with their statement that aircraft production is now down to 700 units per annum (from 14,000) - surely that doesn't take LSA into account!

It would be interesting to see if the same is happening in Australia - I haven't been in aviation circles long enough to see a similar trend, although I have noticed that it is mainly older pilots coming into RAA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/on-small-business/small-aviation-businesses-say-pilot-shortage-could-drive-industry-into-the-ground/2014/02/08/2422cadc-8f5c-11e3-b46a-5a3d0d2130da_story.html

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight I attended a business chamber meeting where the guest speaker was the CEO of Qantas Link. The question was raised about the future of aviation here in Australia and although he tried to portray an optimistic tone, it was clear to take away from it that maybe the "blood bath" that he was referring to was somewhat driven by consumer demand. Apparently all the domestic airlines are reporting massive losses. When I ask around and hear what some Pilots are being paid its not hard to see why they are leaving in droves. Consumers want cheap airfares! I believe there comes a time when you cross the line trying to run a safe business yet cater for the consumer demands. We were fortunate to be allowed to go through the maintenance hanger and there was a Q-400 having its 2 yearly inspection. The airframe was stripped to bare bones with a team of engineers and painters crawling all over it. I was impressed with the detail they went to. This type of service comes at a cost. I will certainly think twice before baulking at the cost of an airfare in future.

I have paid a fortune in flight training and have gone through to ATPL level but there is no way I could support a family on what some of these Pilots are being paid for the responsibility they have.

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

Airport fees are also a killer in terms of viability, from what I have recently been told. Ask qantaslink what the like of the Roma airport are charging them per passenger compared to other airports. From what I understand, additionl/excessive fees such as these are impacting greatly on the ability of the airlines, in some instances, to offer competitive fares.

• Like 1

No shortage of pilots anywhere, with pilots actually paying to work to get hours in this country and others. Pilots in the US are being paid less than $40,000 a year to fly regional airlines in Dash 8's and similar. There is no shortage of pilots.

It's not just the airlines in trouble it's nearly everything we still have not recovered from the GFC Australia is an over priced country, in short too many people are payed more than they are worth, accountants, lawyers, public servants, plumbers and so many more. We should not expect the tax payer to prop up failing companies, what is happening is unsustainable, there has to be a massive correction in ours and the world economy. Anybody who does not agree just see what happens, it is not a matter of if but when.

• Agree 4
  • Caution 1

That's what I said Nev, there is no shortage of pilots. A Taxi driver can earn more than most GA/feeder airline jobs. With GA entry level stuff there are pilots paying to work or willing to work for no wages just to get hours. Pilot shortage, pigs ar$e.

• Agree 1

That's closer to a political opinion than an established fact Tecky. I'd believe it more if it wasn't the official Murdoch line. Reduce wages /incomes and Gerry Harvey wouldn't sell all the stuff we think we need 'cause there would be no spare cash around. Henry Ford upped his worker's wages annoying all the other US auto maker's, but his reply to them was." How can I expect my workers to buy my cars if I don't pay them enough? " America has the destitute working poor. Not something any country needs.. to skite about..Nev

• Agree 2

That's closer to a political opinion than an established fact Tecky.

Yes my opinion.

I'd believe it more if it wasn't the official Murdoch line.

I don't follow Murdoch if he says that then all that means is we have reached the same conclusion, time will tell, I was not wrong in 2006/2007 about real estate activity being unsustainable, and guess what, no one believed me then either.

A real estate bubble seems to always be what happens before a crash It was Junk Bonds in 1929 and I don't know exactly what they are.. Everyone thinks bricks and mortar are safe. In a recession you can't give some houses away as people cant afford rates and other costs. Wealthy people do well in a RECESSION. Many lose everything.. Nev

• Agree 1

I'm slowly starting to agree with Teckair. Surviving the GFC unscathed may have not been the best for the long term future of the nation.

We are pricing ourselves out of world markets. Holden, Ford and now Toyota prove this. The resources and agriculture industries probably mask it somewhat.

Am I overpaid for what I do? YES, I am. I'm also staring down the barrel of redunancy in the next few months. Fun times (not).

• Agree 1

One thing about the US is pilots get paid poorly. if you where a FO at a regional airline they are on twenty one grand a year. I get paid more to drive a truck. check out the link its about the Q400 that crashed in the USA a few years ago.

http://www.thirteen.org/programs/frontline/flying-cheap/

• Informative 1

I'm slowly starting to agree with Teckair. Surviving the GFC unscathed may have not been the best for the long term future of the nation.We are pricing ourselves out of world markets. Holden, Ford and now Toyota prove this. The resources and agriculture industries probably mask it somewhat.

Am I overpaid for what I do? YES, I am. I'm also staring down the barrel of redunancy in the next few months. Fun times (not).

The old model of car manufacturing was orientated around domestic consumption, nowadays cars are manufactured for global markets. The auto industry has a huge surplus in production facilities, during the GFC it was as high as 30%, so old plants are getting the knife. Tesla picked up a almost new Toyota factory in California a few years ago for $1M complete with robot production line.

As Micheal Moore fans you would know closing auto plants is just a part of a submerging economy, hard times are on the way

• Agree 1

If the import tariff on cars is dropped then there will be enough money injected into the economy to replace all the auto jobs.

That tariff is pretty small these days, and replacing the lost jobs is only part of the issue.

We are losing a core part of our manufacturing capability. During WWII our car factories quickly adapted to war production, turning out lots of vital stuff like field guns and aircraft. Sure, the world is now a much more complex place, but we had better quickly build up some new high-tech industries. I can't see that happening with the current government and our national aversion to long-term investment.

• Agree 1

Apparently we live in a bubble where our minimum wages dont affect our ability to have jobs. And where everyone deserves a wage rise every year despite our competitors suffering tough times and a global correction.

Do i want to take a pay cut. No way. But i will if it means my workplace can stay competitive and not lay us off or others.

The auto workers didnt get that choice because they where betrayed by greedy unionists that ultimately cost all of them there livelihood. We need a balance.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

NZ has the right idea, allow used imports from Japan. Cuts the cost of owning a car for a lot of people

I have had a damned good run from three grey imports. Supposedly built to last 5 years in Japan, they are going pretty well after twenty years here.

Political short sightedness caused by 4 year terms giving us no "nation building" projects is a large part of the problem.

Massive rainfall in the north of our country yet we build expensive, low life RO plants in the south.

Nothing that takes longer than a political term gets much interest as the oposition may get the credit if completed in the following term and the founding government have lost power.

Other countries taking on 20 year projects and moving forward while we are dead in the water......

• Agree 4

Political short sightedness caused by 4 year terms giving us no "nation building" projects is a large part of the problem.Massive rainfall in the north of our country yet we build expensive, low life RO plants in the south.

Nothing that takes longer than a political term gets much interest as the oposition may get the credit if completed in the following term and the founding government have lost power.

Other countries taking on 20 year projects and moving forward while we are dead in the water......

We have a very expensive white elephant RO plant at Tugan here on the Gold Coast never been used as far as I know but costs millions in general maintenance. Capt Bligh and her Labor cronies built it.

• Informative 1