Bugatti Veyron rebuild - yes it's an aircraft!

A team of engineers is building a replica Bugatti 100P - the original Veyron! Designed by Ettore Bugatti for air-racing, it was expected to reach 500mph - in the 1930's!

Living in France at the outbreak of WWII, Bugatti pulled the unflown prototype apart and hid it in barns across France, to stop Ze Chermans getting a hold of the technology.

Info at http://bugatti100p.com/bugatti-100p.html & http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/wwii-fighter-jet-bugatti-100p-superplane-reconstructed-after-75-years-video-1438415

Personally, I think the forward swept wings and rear CofG would have made it quite unstable - unless you were flying backwards!

Mal

Guest ozzie

A lot of us here have been following the 101p for quite some time now. Many contributed to the cause as well. I picked up the t shirt at airventure 2011. Almost ready to fly.

A lot of us here have been following the 101p for quite some time now. Many contributed to the cause as well. I picked up the t shirt at airventure 2011. Almost ready to fly.

In fact a few of us can boast that we part-own a Bugatti! (Porsches and Beemers are common as muck these days.)

• Agree 1

Those prop drive shafts would make life interesting if they or their cv joints failed

What prop drive shafts? According to the photo caption, it's a jet: "A group of airplane enthusiasts have rebuilt the Bugatti 100P, an advanced fighter jet from 1940", so I assume those props on the nose are just for the wind-driven generators.

rgmwa

No I think their for making cakes the worlds biggest kitchen wiz with contra rotating blades.the Germans didn't really need it they were developing the DO335 pfeil or Arrow

What prop drive shafts? According to the photo caption, it's a jet: "A group of airplane enthusiasts have rebuilt the Bugatti 100P, an advanced fighter jet from 1940", so I assume those props on the nose are just for the wind-driven generators.rgmwa

The plane has two engines each driving a shaft to a propeller.

motor-shaft-prop_direction-sm.jpg.51c788026ae948d1f0ed478723aa5412.jpg

The plane has two engines each driving a shaft to a propeller.[ATTACH=full]27557[/ATTACH]

Thanks PA, although I already knew that. Just having a dig at the embarrassing ignorance of the press.

Even sent them a donation a while ago. I think I now own one of the wing ribs (made from Qld timber, I believe).

rgmwa

• Like 1