Hudson 01 callsign ?? Still flying?

Hi all,

Taking a short nav from YPFT to YJIN today I heard upon 'Hudson 01' doing some 'work' above 7000ft around the Snowys and Lake Jindabyne, I didn't want to natter on the channel, but it sure left me wondering...a Hudson still flying? Surely not?

I meant to ask the CFI when I got back (he's got all the local knowledge) but got distracted with post flight ops , putting the plane away etc.

Any ideas? An historic flight up from Nowra?

cheers

Ramjet

Thanks guys, mystery solved.

Be interesting to know what 'work' they we're doing...training I guess.

edit: just read the wiki, still called Hudson as that was the first aircraft used by that squadron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._32_Squadron_RAAF

I've learnt something about aviation today ! Well two things actually....don't try to fly into YJIN in anything less than fine weather ! There is no way I could have dropped the J170 in there today....

cheers

Ramjet

Thanks guys, mystery solved.Be interesting to know what 'work' they we're doing...training I guess.

edit: just read the wiki, still called Hudson as that was the first aircraft used by that squadron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._32_Squadron_RAAF

I've learnt something about aviation today ! Well two things actually....don't try to fly into YJIN in anything less than fine weather ! There is no way I could have dropped the J170 in there today....

cheers

Ramjet

32 squadron is out of east sale, navigators are taught at east sale. I guess it was a nav exercise

• Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

What airport was that ?....didn't look like Temora.................

Bit of personal history on that aircraft. When I Was a small kid growing up in Townsville, I used to ride my bike over to the airport often. There was a Hudson operating out of there for a bit for Adastra Aerial Surveys. If my memory serves me well it was blue an white back then.

I got talking to the crew and they offered m a ride in the Hudon which I gladly accepted...just about to board when they realised it was a high altitude photo flight and they didn't have an extra oxy mask for me , so I didn't 't happen . They did give me the full tour of the aircraft though, and I just remember it smelling so good inside, like a real aeroplane should. I believe the Temora aircraft is the same machine that I looked at back then.. The Lockheed 12A that is flying with it I jumped out of when it was based at Drages Air museum at Wadonga...We did a demo jump across the border at Albury. I believe Joe Drage may have been the pilot. I remember the takeoff well out of the short dirt strip there, and the fact we took off in Vic and jumped into NSW.................Maj...