A heartwarming story about lawyers

Old Koreelah

Yep that is Wall Street for you and it is totally corrupt and they get away with it, does not mean lawyers suing willy nilly are suddenly OK.

By the way Wall Street is not the only cause of financial problems, in 2006 I was telling people our over heated real estate market was not sustainable and guess what? No one believed me.

We still have not recovered from the GFC what the Government at the time did was nothing more than a band aid which prolonged the inevitable and put us badly in debt. No one has addressed what caused the situation in the first place. If you don't believe me just watch what happens in the next five years.

• Agree 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...No one has addressed what caused the situation in the first place. If you don't believe me just watch what happens in the next five years.

Makes sense, Teck. We are living beyond our means in several ways. Why listen to the lessons of history? Let's get on the short-term gravy train...

Still, I hope you are wrong; my kid has finally committed to buying their first home.

Still, I hope you are wrong; my kid has finally committed to buying their first home.

Yeah I hope so too, at least your kid is buying their house at much better time than those poor buggas who bought during 2006, 2007 and 2008.

However lest it be said Im an apologist.......why in some states of Australia can people who buy real estate use a conveyor to facilitate the legal aspects of the purchase, where they are then covered against a professional mistake with appropriate insurance....and in other states like in NSW you must use a solicitor. Where at least on the small amount ive been involved in, it seems that the costs for the later are significantly higher than the conveyor approach and the work done by the solicitor was in reality done by a law clerk...... Never understood that myself.

Andy

Sorry Andy. That is incorrect. I have done my own conveyancing in NSW on multiple occasions.

If you want to save yourself a lot of dollars, do it yourself: it's surprisingly straightforward. You just follow the steps in order, just as the law firms would do.

Now that I am in Enzed, I'm in a jurisdiction where all conveyancing has to be carried out by a law firm. One good thing in NZ: there is no stamp duty to transfer real estate ownership. Car ownership transfers have a $9.00 processing fee regardless if it's a $700 Galant or a $125,000 Lambo.