A heartwarming story about lawyers

Old Koreelah

On the news recently a taxi driver was was having a smoke break in the early hours of the morning when someone who had been refused entry into a night club came along and smacked him in the face. This guy is now without a number of teeth and like he said, in court there will be a lawyer defending the attacker. This sort of stuff is now a nation wide problem.

There are a number of reasons defendants need lawyers - the claims may be totally without foundation: they might be appearing before a hanging judge over a jaywalking matter: or in one case that I was in a jury on, the police were loading up some poor sucker. he may have urinated in a public place but to further load him up with a load of unsolved crimes sitting on the books was a bit too smart. The judge has a few quite words with the prosecution, the information was withdrawn, the jury was discharged and since my day was buggered I went home after being paid $5 an hour for my time.

The Daily Telegraph is not there to sort out the facts but to sell newspapers (more correctly, advertising) and at times mixes up the stories of the perp and victim and if there is not enough info weave another crime into the same story or invent a whole new crime - was it the truth or did you read it in the telegraph

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was it the truth or did you read it in the telegraph

It was on TV and the victim was trying to explain how he was punched in the face in an unprovoked attack, but it was made difficult with what appeared to be at least 4 teeth missing. A couple of months ago my son was bashed by a group of aborigines and had to have plastic surgery. Our judges appear hand out sentences that are not a

deterrent and correct me if I am wrong where do judges come from? ex lawyers? How anybody could think our current system is adequate is one of lifes mysteries.

• Agree 2

It was on TV and the victim was trying to explain how he was punched in the face in an unprovoked attack, but it was made difficult with what appeared to be at least 4 teeth missing. A couple of months ago my son was bashed by a group of aborigines and had to have plastic surgery. Our judges appear hand out sentences that are not adeterrent and correct me if I am wrong where do judges come from? ex lawyers? How anybody could think our current system is adequate is one of lifes mysteries.

It ain't perfect, but can you think of a better one?

It ain't perfect, but can you think of a better one?

I haven't got time to do think much about that one and what would be the point? I could come up with some ideas and what good would that do I would just be wasting my time. Maybe if some of our judges and lawyers took a punch in the face things might be different.

• Agree 1

On the news recently a taxi driver was was having a smoke break in the early hours of the morning when someone who had been refused entry into a night club came along and smacked him in the face. This guy is now without a number of teeth and like he said, in court there will be a lawyer defending the attacker. This sort of stuff is now a nation wide problem.

I have to say that I do feel like doing that every time I cross paths with smokers in the street. Haven't done it yet.

• Like 1

Why? Personally can't stand the habit but hey each to their own and I'm thankful for all the taxes they pay. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Recall also that our govt uses our taxes to give free fags to illegals each day, that irritates me much more.

Guest just Mal

Being an Ex smoker myself I sometimes feel that way inclined. i hadn't realised how much they stink and stink up someones body till I stopped.

it makes your teeth lose in their sockets as well as all the other health effects.

Thats heartwarming.

Jeeze looweez, is this ever off topic!

Sorry guys.

Students at a U.S. local school were assigned to read two books, 'Titanic' by Ed Marsh & 'My Life' by Bill Clinton.

One student turned in the following book report, with the proposition that they were nearly identical stories!

His Teacher gave him an A+ for this report:

Titanic: cost - $29.99

Clinton: cost - $29.99

Titanic: Over 3 hours to read

Clinton: Over 3 hours to read

Titanic: The story of Jack and Rose, their forbidden love, and subsequent catastrophe.

Clinton: The story of Bill and Monica, their forbidden love, and subsequent catastrophe.

Titanic: Jack is a starving artist.

Clinton: Bill is a bullshit artist.

Titanic: In one scene, Jack enjoys a good cigar.

Clinton: Ditto for Bill.

Titanic: During the ordeal, Rose's dress gets ruined.

Clinton: Ditto for Monica.

Titanic: Jack teaches Rose to spit.

Clinton: Let's not go there.

Titanic: Rose gets to keep her jewellery

Clinton: Monica is forced to return her gifts.

Titanic: Rose remembers Jack for the rest of her life.

Clinton: Clinton remembers Monica for the rest of his life.

Titanic: Rose goes down on a vessel full of seamen.

Clinton: Monica...ooh, let's not go there, either.

Titanic: Jack surrenders to an icy death.

Clinton: Bill goes home to Hilary - basically the same thing.

Mal.

Why? Personally can't stand the habit but hey each to their own and I'm thankful for all the taxes they pay. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gifRecall also that our govt uses our taxes to give free fags to illegals each day, that irritates me much more.

Why?....because the stench makes my head hurt. They litter the whole town and every where I go with their rubbish, they throw their butts out the window of their car and start fires, and they are simply addicts, no better, no worse that someone with a crack habit, when denied their so called pleasure (which it isn't), they will become nasty, abusive and downright violent. If the habit didn't affect me, I couldn't care less, but for the above reasons the addiction of others has a significant effect on my life and wellbeing.

The contempt I feel as I walk down the street and breathe in the smoke they've just blown all over me, then flick their butt on the footpath when there is a bin within arms reach, is extreme. Sorry for the rant, but it's a sore point with me.

• Agree 5

Why?....because the stench makes my head hurt. They litter the whole town and every where I go with their rubbish, they throw their butts out the window of their car and start fires, and they are simply addicts, no better, no worse that someone with a crack habit, when denied their so called pleasure (which it isn't), they will become nasty, abusive and downright violent. If the habit didn't affect me, I couldn't care less, but for the above reasons the addiction of others has a significant effect on my life and wellbeing.The contempt I feel as I walk down the street and breathe in the smoke they've just blown all over me, then flick their butt on the footpath when there is a bin within arms reach, is extreme. Sorry for the rant, but it's a sore point with me.

All true but a punch in the face is not justified, just think yourself lucky you are smart enough not to do it yourself.

All true but a punch in the face is not justified, just think yourself lucky you are smart enough not to do it yourself.

I was being very kind when I suggested a punch to the face, it really brings out the anger in me when I experience the things I've mentioned. Remember, I'm talking about when it affects me, if it doesn't affect me, do as you please. Not suggesting that the taxi driver did or didn't deserve it, just that the very act of smoking near me makes me want to do that.

I was being very kind when I suggested a punch to the face, it really brings out the anger in me when I experience the things I've mentioned. Remember, I'm talking about when it affects me, if it doesn't affect me, do as you please.

Now there's a good basis for the rule of law. "Do whatever the hell you want, as long as it does not negatively impact on anyone else."

• Agree 1

Why?....because the stench makes my head hurt. They litter the whole town and every where I go with their rubbish, they throw their butts out the window of their car and start fires, and they are simply addicts, no better, no worse that someone with a crack habit, when denied their so called pleasure (which it isn't), they will become nasty, abusive and downright violent. If the habit didn't affect me, I couldn't care less, but for the above reasons the addiction of others has a significant effect on my life and wellbeing.The contempt I feel as I walk down the street and breathe in the smoke they've just blown all over me, then flick their butt on the footpath when there is a bin within arms reach, is extreme. Sorry for the rant, but it's a sore point with me.

+1

I regularly have to travel on public transport (ferries, as I live on an island) and there are signs everywhere on the jetties where we all have to wait, that smoking is prohibited. At least once a week, I see someone standing next to one of the "No Smoking" signs, puffing away. I often have to resist the urge to ask them if they're intellectually impaired.

I too used to smoke and now I find I'm quite sensitive to the secondhand smoke. It plugs my nose and makes breathing difficult. I don't mind if people want to ruin their health as long as they don't force it on me and as long as I don't have to contribute to their medical bills when they contract the inevitable smoking related diseases.

Anyway, that's called thread drift

• Like 1

A couple of months ago my son was bashed by a group of aborigines and had to have plastic surgery. .

Now do you go starting up on our poor misunderstood indigenous brothers, I'm sure it was all your son's fault you racist you.

Bloke from work was beaten into a coma by a pack of kids a while back. They were bashing some other kid, he being a good bloke tried to intervene, they turned on him. Average age was 15. No idea of their ethnicity (if it's relevant) but unlikely to be aboriginal as we don't have that many in Hobart. Not sure what the point is, I guess some people are just ar*seholes.

• Agree 2

I am part aboriginal and it is only a small part. You have my permission to give back to them .

As much as I like the concept, I can't see a magistrate saying "Dazza told you that it's ok the punch them back, that's alright then."

• Agree 1

As much as I like the concept, I can't see a magistrate saying "Dazza told you that it's ok the punch them back, that's alright then."

Yeah, I don't think that will wash with the magistrate unfortunately.

STOP PRESS

Those people denigrating lawyers should apologise. They are not the lowest form of humanity. I am watching "Inside Job" on GEM. We knew there were some dodgy things being done by investment bankers, but the scale of their scam amazed me. Their mates in the US government had deregulated their industry, giving them a blank cheque to make money dishonestly, create economic chaos, get bailed out by the taxpayer and somehow not only keep their ill-gotten millions, but avoid liability for the global crisis their greed caused.

What a bunch of parasites.