foxcon terrier

jeffd

I was looking at the terrier 200 before I bought my plane nice aircraft I took one for a test flight and found the one I flew was very heavy on the controls which put me off Other wise I like the planes in general .

• Informative 1

i have instructed in one, for a very nice guy who bought a subaru powered one, i didnt like it, very heavy controls, and it didnt go anywhere near meeting the book figures when it came to speeds. its a heavy aircraft, solidly built, and will sink rapidly well before reaching what is written as its stall speed.

the trim system is very basic being a bungee chord held between 2 plastic wheels, and is fiddly to adjust., as in, you always had to look down at it to set it, it didnt come naturally at all.

on the plus side, it was a breeze to land! even on windy days! brakes and castering nosewheel steering worked well. once trimmed up, it wasnt to bad to fly. it basically felt more like a heavy cessna.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Terrier 100;

Very well designed structurally and good fibreglass layup, expect long life.

Swing up doors are great but may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Wide cabin, plenty of room.

Controls are simple and well laid out, easy access for maintenance, wings, rudder and elevators are easily removed and replaced.

Subaru more likely 80hp than 100hp advertised.

359kgs.

• Informative 1

Going back a few years, I drove past a factory unit in Chester Hill (SW Sydney) that had a lineup of fuselarges which appeared to be Terriers unpainted and just a greenish fibreglass finish.

I had a feeling that i'd read that they were being assembled for the Indian market, and that the business was owned by an Indian airline captain.

At the time I thought perhaps Helmut had sold off the manufacturing rights, but never got to the bottom of the story.

Out of interest, does anyone know any more? I think the name of the business began with the letter B.