Rotax 912 Best Coolant recommendation

"Ultralights, post: 424842, member: 8"]if you have a cap that doenst hold pressure too well, water will boil at a temp significantly lower than 100Deg C at altitude when not under pressure.

Very true! I once had total coolant loss of 50/50 from a 912s, due to a faulty radiator cap. At 8500ft over the Pilbara at the time. That was just after we were allowed to go above 5000, so I hadn't spent any time at those higher altitudes. Luckily I was watching the head temps very closely, because they rose very rapidly, within a few minutes to max. Reduced to low power and best glide to get to a landable site. Temps didn't go any higher at such low power. Let it cool off then filled with water and flew out and stayed at lower altitude to Newman. Radiator cap looked OK, but replaced it with a new one and no more problems even at 8500 on the way home. Since gone to Evans and much more satisfied. I hadn't gone to Evans before due to the top-up issue in remote places. Now just carry a spare litre. Another advantage is that Evans doesn't require a high pressure cap, so less pressure on the system, so if a leak developes it's not under pressure.

JG

if you have a cap that doenst hold pressure too well, water will boil at a temp significantly lower than 100Deg C at altitude when not under pressure.

Very true! I once had total coolant loss of 50/50 from a 912s, due to a faulty radiator cap. At 8500ft over the Pilbara at the time. That was just after we were allowed to go above 5000, so I hadn't spent any time at those higher altitudes. Luckily I was watching the head temps very closely, because they rose very rapidly, within a few minutes to max. Reduced to low power and best glide to get to a landable site. Temps didn't go any higher at such low power. Let it cool off then filled with water and flew out and stayed at lower altitude to Newman. Radiator cap looked OK, but replaced it with a new one and no more problems even at 8500 on the way home. Since gone to Evans and much more satisfied. I hadn't gone to Evans before due to the top-up issue in remote places. Now just carry a spare litre. Another advantage is that Evans doesn't require a high pressure cap, so less pressure on the system, so if a leak developes it's not under pressure.

JG

rankamature,Going by the website you never need to change it in the lifetime of the engine so it seems good value.

Alf

Thanks Alf, do you use it without a pressure cap like John does?

Don't quote me on this but I think it does have a pressure cap on the small steel header tank where the 4 or 5 coolant lines run out of.

Alf

Don't quote me on this but I think it does have a pressure cap on the small steel header tank where the 4 or 5 coolant lines run out of.Alf

Mine is still in the crate so I will have a while to work out the specifics. Thanks Alf.

I should clarify that I still have the 1.2 bar cap on mine, just because I haven't changed it yet..... But I guess I should put the old leaky cap back on to get the advantage of lower pressure, eh....

JG

A thermostat is something else to go wrong. In aviation simplicity is best.. Nev

Sorry Nev...I can't help myself disagreeing with this mantra again 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

A thermostat could prevent premature engine failure. This has to be weighed against the risk of the thermostat failing and also causing engine failure.

A valve train at least doubles engine complexity, but solves far more problems than it causes. Few would claim a two stroke engine is more reliable than a four stroke due to less complexity (diesels excepted).

Reads the same as Evans..

Most likely some smarty in Australia twigged on to the Evans formula and tweeked it then decided to make their own.BUT the price

In the early days when CRC556 and WD40 arrived, a smarty made his own which was a copy of CRC556, his copy has gone but CRC is still here, all goes back to marketing. BUDDY had a cheaper price than CRC556 still could not win.

Regards

Keithe Page.

Guest Maj Millard

Note;........Rotax has issued a service letter strongly advising against the use of any aftermarket equipment, modifications or kits on their engines. (SL 912-014).............Maj......

Note;........Rotax has issued a service letter strongly advising against the use of any aftermarket equipment, modifications or kits on their engines. (SL 912-014).............Maj......

Ross are you refering to thermostats not waterless coolant? I thought the most recent Rotax engines (Last two or three years) had an oil thermostat anyway.

Guest Maj Millard
Ross are you refering to thermostats not waterless coolant? I thought the most recent Rotax engines (Last two or three years) had an oil thermostat anyway.

Referring mostly to thermostats....Evans is an approved coolant for the 912....not sure if oil thermostats are recently standard.....the Pipistrel I have just worked on has one, but not sure if its standard or not.....the Rotax service letter mentions many things, bring it up and have a read......................Maj....

image.jpg.e5b2c31e53b6a438d43df3f68801602c.jpg

image.jpg.bd9587fd4a96b7b31558ce62f04931c8.jpg

If you run a thermostat use a design that fails in the open position. Maintain the fail safe concept. Your engine ancilliaries can cause engine failure. Having to have a fuel pump working is not as good as not needing one. With mogas though, it's desired to use one for critical phases of flight (TO and Land) to avoid possibility of vapour lock. Nev