The Come And Get It Trophy

Guest David C

Guest David C

STOP PRESS ..... Hot news !!! ...... Ian is the holder of the Come and Get It Trophy . Yes that's right , he claimed the trophy this afternoon at The Oaks off previous holder Darren Friend . As you may be aware , there was rumour of a secret delivery to be made . Ian couldn't keep the secret very long , and he soon disclosed what it was on arrival this morning at The Oaks . Well done mate ;)... Congratulations . A very worthy recipient . Keep it under lock and key , because you know what these cunning pilots are like , they will creep up one day and try to claim it back 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif.. I hope you had a good flight back to Riddles Creek with the trophy on the pax seat !!! .. Oops , there I go ... I've let the cat out the bag now and they'll all be after it ..025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Here are a few photos from this historical day at The Oaks

Matt and Kaz drop in to say G'day

Well Done Ian

Amex or Visa ?

Guest Fred Bear

Well done Ian as Dave C says, keep it under lock and key mate. My pic of the yourself and Darren handing it over below. Glad you made it home safe mate. I'm going to post the pics of the day somewhere else, maybe in trip reports, maybe here. See how we go. Was good to catch up with you all.

Glad you made it home safe Ian. How long was the return trip and how was the weather?

Matt, 3hrs 20min but had a 8 to 12 knot headwind at all alts except when I got to about Seymore when it turned around on me

Chris - read about the Come & get It Trophy here: http://www.raa.asn.au/cagit_trophy/cagi.html

Guest Fred Bear

Ok all. What a good day it was. Good to wait for Ian at YSSY airport this morning and sniff Jet A-1 for an hr or so. I'm sitting in the car while Ian is 5,000ft above me orbiting and having fun watching the clouds go by! Methinks this is a little rough for us folk on the ground. This is what can happen in Sydney in foggy conditions and a go-around.068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif It was worth it though. We drove from Mascot back to The Oaks (Ian thinking we were half way back to Melbourne) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I got a fly in the CT. I was impressed by the climb but not so impressed in just how much it takes to slow her down!!! 130kt is just too fast for me on downwind and I will re-think the purchase of a Cirrus now. Still, I got to have a go and loved every second of it! Excellent to see Matt and Kaz come up from YSCB, duck into town with me for their $100...no $1,000 burger 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif the CT-4 is too much to run 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif. Good to see Lambadaman (Gerry) and son having a go in Johns Jabiru 1817 after not flying for a few months. Good to see Gordons pics of the Kevin Rudd look alike competition at a Granville strip club last night (but that's another story) and good to take new student pilot Troy (disperse) on a flight overhead my place/his place (as we live in the same suburb) in Dave Rolfes Jabiru 740 (crutches and all). Enjoy the pics.

Ians antique cockpit ha ha 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Airborne at The Oaks in the CT-SW.

Some lovely fluffy clouds.

Ian turning cross wind.

The Oaks wet Airfield out of the left window.

On final at The Oaks.

Nice and green in the second circuit.

Dave and Marilyn with the CT-4.

Matt checks the fuel in his machine. At 38/l/hr you would want to hope you have enough.

Matt and Kaz prepare to go home.

Dave Rolfe now even teaches those with crutches! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Troy AKA disperse had a ball today.

The RAAus site has been updated with the new location of the Come And Get It Trophy so I guess it won't be long before someone comes knocking to wrestle it out of my clutches.

I've been thinking - yes I know it isn't often that I do that - but how about the Recreational Flying Forums organise a Trophy Relay starting just after Christmas and wherever the trophy is located at the time, and send it on a trip around Australia finishing at Narromine at Easter?

Forum Members can relay the trophy to each other. Just before Christmas we create a list of members who would like to participate and plan a route covering as much of Australia as possible. We can follow it's journey here in the forums and the last person takes it to NatFly where it is handed over to the RAAus President for it to go back to its normal life. It wouldn't be hard to organise - your thoughts!

I'll be in it if I get my plane built in time for my leg, but I think the south coast of NSW is pretty well covered already.

I'll just have to get it later.

BTW what happened to the Pist'n broke trophy? wasn't that the same sort of thing? It suits me a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Come And Get It Trophy is moving on 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif - had a call from some guys over in Tassie who may be coming over on Monday to snatch it out of my hands and take it down South. They will beat another guy who rang me a week or so ago from Perth who was coming this way at the end of the month.

So it looks like I only have this weekend left to enjoy seeing it proudly on display on my desk - unless offcourse someone comes and gets it before Monday ;)

051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif 051_crying.gif.edc6b33a234e272ee13f0ec0ae40b12a.gif 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif - The Come And Get It Trophy is gone - 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif 051_crying.gif.edc6b33a234e272ee13f0ec0ae40b12a.gif 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Just returned from Riddells Creek where I handed the trophy over to Barry Stoney who then left on his way back to Perth. Barry and his wife Elaine went up to Bundy to pick up their brand new J230 and instead of going straight back to perth they tackled 30kt head winds to come down to Melb, snatch the trophy out of my hot hands and flew off into the sky hoping to make Murray Bridge for the night.

They beat another person who was coming over from Tassie today to grab it but when I received a call from Barry yesterday who said he was on his way and would be stopping at Narromine for the night before arriving today I emailed the Tassie guy and told him the situation. After consulting with the RAAus office on what was the right thing to do I just said to them that it has to be first in first served - could have been sneaky and tried to put both of them off but during the night I could hear the trophy whispering in the stillness of the night "Ian, you have to learn to let go..."

The good thing is that Barry actually went to school with the guy that made the trophy - the bad thing is that now who is willing to make the trip over to the West to bring it back...Come And get It keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Ian

Give me his details, I will be there in a few weeks (flying to YPJT from over in the east) and will bring it back, then you can steal it again if you like.

One question.....I am an RAA member and pilot, although most of my time (99%) is in VH a/c, so if I am in a Bonanza at the time does that count?

J;)

So we now call it the " came and got it " trophy ... Ah well Ian it was good while it lasted . Congrats to the new claimer , and heres to a safe trip to WA with the trophy and the new stead ..011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Dave C