Lets go Fly a Kite

I'm sorry, I find it very hard to think of journalists as being professionals when they say things like " Cessna Hovercrafts". Surely they cannot all be stupid ?

Oh indeed they are. Stupid is a mandatory course for journalists, also bullcrapping is a major part of the syllabus.

• Agree 1

I was merrily flying along a beach one day at 500 or so, when I passed over a couple of kites.

Gave me quite a startle.

Definitely something to be wary of, especially on long weekends and holidays.

• Agree 1

In the early 1990's my employer had a range of "Activity Kits" for loan to remote schools & children's groups. These were designed so that anyone could run the activity, all materials and step by step instructions. I was requested to develop a Kite Kit. This was back in the days of the Air Navigation Act.

After a bit of research I had to explain how impractical this would be for our Western Qld towns who had their airport on the edge of town. Firstly the distance from the airport took them out into the desert. Then the Air Nav Act required each person operating a kite to be 100m from another kite pilot and with 500m clear of people in the wind direction (clear path to run with kite). I estimated the one teacher school at Birdsville would need a square km to arrange their students in two lines with 500m each, clear, spaced 100m apart.

I'll see if I can find out what the present rules are.

Sue

Kites & the law. Not surprisingly the humble kite gets a mention in a number of places outside of CASA. A couple of examples at the bottom.

In a nutshell: Kites are not required to be registered. Operation 4km from an airport, below 300 ft in VMC, 500ft below cloud; unless exempted by CASA. The definition of a kite as "moored (or tethered) to the ground" I was informed a few years ago that this included a kite string held by a person on the ground. The sources these rules follows:

Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2004H00530/Html/Volume_2

260 Manned fixed balloons and kites

(1) Despite regulation 157, a person may fly a fixed balloon or kite at a height not exceeding 300 feet.

(2) A person must not fly a fixed balloon or kite within 4 000 metres of an aerodrome or at a height of more than 300 feet if the following requirements are not satisfied:

(a) the person has CASA’s permission to fly the balloon or kite at that height;

(b) the flight is in accordance with the terms of that permission.

Penalty: 10 penalty units.

(3) A person flying a fixed balloon or kite must fly it in V.M.C.

Penalty: 10 penalty units.

(4) An offence against subregulation (2) or (3) is an offence of strict liability.

Note: For strict liability, see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code.

(5) This regulation does not apply to an unmanned fixed balloon or kite to which Part 101 of CASR applies.

205A Offences

A person who flies or operates:

.....(d) a kite; or ....

in contravention of a provision of this Division that applies to the aeroplane, glider, balloon, kite or airship is guilty of an offence punishable, on conviction, by a fine not exceeding 25 penalty units.

Civil Aviation Regulations 1998 http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2004H00559

47.175 Aircraft not required to be registered

(1) For paragraph 20AA (1) (b) of the Act, an aircraft is not required to be registered if subregulation (2), (3), (4), (5) or (6) applies to it.

(2) This subregulation applies to an aircraft if it is:

(a) an unmanned free balloon; or (b) a permanently tethered manned balloon; or © a hang glider; or (d) a kite; or (e) a parachute; or (f) a recreational unmanned aircraft; (g) a rocket.

Note For the definitions of kite, manned balloon, tethered and unmanned balloon see the Dictionary.

(3) This subregulation applies to an aircraft if it is an unpowered aircraft that weighs less than 75 kilograms.

101.030 Approval of areas for operation of unmanned aircraft or rockets

(1) A person may apply to CASA for the approval of an area as an area for the operation of: .......

(2) For paragraph (1) (a), the classes of unmanned aircraft are the following: (a) tethered balloons and kites; ..........

101.120 Operation of tethered balloon or kite under cloud

(1) A person may operate a tethered balloon or kite under cloud only if he or she keeps the balloon or kite at least 500 feet (measured vertically) below the cloud. Penalty: 10 penalty units.

200.5 kite means a glider normally tethered to the ground.

Dictionary kite means a glider normally moored to the ground.

Air Displays: Safety and Administrative Arrangements http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/manuals/regulate/air_disp/076r01.pdf

To fly kites at an aerodrome, you will require an exemption against CAR 260 from CASA. You will need to keep the kites away from any possible approach path to a runway in case you get a non-radio aircraft arriving unexpectedly. Also, you can only fly kites when all other manned aircraft are on the ground. There is an application form

Defence Act 1903 - defines some kites as Aircraft for the purposes of this Act

Police Act 1892 WA - 96 Prohibition of nuisances by persons in thoroughfares- Every person shall, on conviction, be liable to a penalty of not more than $40 who shall in any street commit any of the following offences: .... (10) Every person who shall fly any kite, or ..... to the annoyance of the inhabitants or passengers, or to the common danger of the passengers.

• Informative 2